Menu

Are you homeschooling in *major* metropolitain area?

Does anyone have a particular reference to what rank metro area their area is? I decided to look up the SF Bay Area, and Wikipedia has SF-Oakland-Fremont as #11 and San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara as #31, but I think of it as all one area. Added together they come out to over 6 million people, and that doesn't include the Santa Rosa, Vallejo, or Napa areas who also are considered part of the SF Bay Area.

(I probably only think about this as an issue because I live in the area between Sunnyvale and SF, and find it unnerving to have my immediate area split between two metropolitan areas)

Does anyone have a particular reference to what rank metro area their area is? I decided to look up the SF Bay Area, and Wikipedia has SF-Oakland-Fremont as #11 and San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara as #31, but I think of it as all one area. Added together they come out to over 6 million people, and that doesn't include the Santa Rosa, Vallejo, or Napa areas who also are considered part of the SF Bay Area.

(I probably only think about this as an issue because I live in the area between Sunnyvale and SF, and find it unnerving to have my immediate area split between two metropolitan areas)

But if you count individual cities and not metropolitan areas, it's Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco. I don't see, really, how you could divide the S.F. Bay area. It's all one big metropolitan area, KWIM? If you start on 101 in San Jose and drive up to the City, well, it's just one big city.:)

How do you define that? I have only schooled in Metropolitan Areas, major or not. Washington DC is definitely a major one, as was probably Sacramento and Albuquerque. Other areas I have homeschooled still had over 400K people in the area including here in Huntsville and also in Space Coast FL. The only smaller area I have homeschooled in was when I lived in a little town in Belgium but even there, probably the way the Belgians counted it, I still lived in a larger metropolitan area since we were between two much larger cities which were close by.

I'm in metro Atlanta. I'd like some defining of terms, here, too. I'm guessing more people than not are in the metropolitan area of some major city, depending on how we define metropolitan area and major.

According to this from the Brookings Institution, "Two-thirds of our population lives in the top 100 metropolitan areas, and 84 percent of Americans live in all 363 metros."

Edited by kokotg

I just looked up major metro areas in the US on Wiki...

1.) New York/Northern New Jersey/Long Island

2.) Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana

3.) Chicago/Joliet/Naperville

4.) Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington

5.) Houston/Sugarland/Baytown

According to that, I live smack-dab in the middle of a major metro area.

I love it because I am actually "in the 'burbs" so it has a smaller-town feel, yet I can be to two very large cities within 30 minutes. Cultural events and art museums are plentiful and offer many free/discounted opportunities for homeschoolers.