Menu

PS teacher shares thoughts at our P/T conference

We went into my daughter's 3rd grade room for parent teacher conferences last night. We had homeschooled until this year and her teacher knew that.

She just handed over Emma's report card and smiled and said..."This is her first year in our school, right?" When we said yes, she said, "Whatever you did, it worked. She far exceeds every other kid in this class in every subject and she is such a delightful girl. I just love having her in my class."

She went on to say that she is encouraging Emma to really push herself since she knows she is capable of so much more and she laughed and said that Emma always has something to contribute to discussions and she uses such big words for a girl her age, all her classmates just listen in rapt attention to what she says.

Then went to my son's K P/T conference and she said he was doing so well and was able to recognize all capital and lower case letters and their sounds, read all the sight words and then some, write all his numbers correctly, and was the only one in his class who could do the entire page of phonemic awareness assessment correctly. She went on to say that he is so polite and well liked by everyone in his class.

I don't say this to pat my back or my kids' backs but to say that homeschooling has been such a blessing to us and our children. And I am SO thankful for that firm foundation we were able to, God-willing, instill in our kids. Such good reports from their teachers only reaffirmed how incredibly wonderful homeschooling is and a big part of me hopes that someday we'll be able to resume homeschooling.

So rest assured, you are doing a WONDERFUL thing for your kids by homeschooling them and I hope you appreciate the blessing you are being given to homeschool. Enjoy it!! And rest in the knowledge that they are thriving right where you have them.:001_smile:

Great job! I also have a third grader and Kindergartner who are attending school for the first time. I was so nervous about both of my kiddos going to school. Ds is quite shy when on his own, and I was quite concerned that dd wasn't ready for K since she has an August birthday.

I was proven wrong though!!! My ds' third grade teacher has sought me out several times to tell me how well he is doing in class. As a matter of fact, yesterday she told me he is a delight to be around! She also told me that what I did with him at home must have been great based on what she sees in the classroom. Right now he is getting six As and one B (in handwriting...they use a different cursive font than he learned, but he is improving each day). My dd in K has been put in the "ready to read" group and is already reading short sentences! Her teacher also has positive things to say about her.

I was very sad to stop homeschooling, but I am also thrilled to know that my kiddos received such a strong foundation. I still believe that homeschooling is best (well, for my family at least) and I hope that someday we can do it again. But I am sure that the three years that I spend homeschooling ds gave him a great advantage, and I'm proud of that. :D

So, I am posting in agreement with OP that what you are doing at home with your kids will leave a lasting impression, whether you homeschool for one year or 13.

I was proven wrong though!!! My ds' third grade teacher has sought me out several times to tell me how well he is doing in class. As a matter of fact, yesterday she told me he is a delight to be around! She also told me that what I did with him at home must have been great based on what she sees in the classroom. Right now he is getting six As and one B (in handwriting...they use a different cursive font than he learned, but he is improving each day). My dd in K has been put in the "ready to read" group and is already reading short sentences! Her teacher also has positive things to say about her.

So, I am posting in agreement with OP that what you are doing at home with your kids will leave a lasting impression, whether you homeschool for one year or 13.

So happy to hear another great report! Seems we are in similar places in life right now. :) Happy you got such an encouraging report too! :D