Menu

RS B- Did you make the Cotter Fractal?

I'm trying to decide if I want to cut out 1000 little triangles with my son to make the Cotter Fractal. Is it "worth it"?

We don't really have a way to do this in a group setting, so it'd just be the two of us.

On the one hand, I think it looks neat. On the other hand, I'm getting a cramp from imagining all that scissor work...:001_huh:

We didn't even do RS... but we were lucky enough to hang with a couple families who got to the Cotter's 10 at the same time. We all made it together and the kids took it apart and each took a part of it home. It was fun. So I guess I'm trying to say if you can find someone to share the cutting load, then it's good to do in a group.

I'm trying to decide if I want to cut out 1000 little triangles with my son to make the Cotter Fractal. Is it "worth it"?

We don't really have a way to do this in a group setting, so it'd just be the two of us.

On the one hand, I think it looks neat. On the other hand, I'm getting a cramp from imagining all that scissor work...:001_huh:

No. We didn't do it.

I skipped it with DD (I think we did one triangle with ten of the little triangles). I just hit that lesson with DS5 -- I showed him the picture and he told me several times he really wanted to do it. I bought the A+B Appendices pack when DD was going through A and B, and it has the triangle copies, so it was no extra work for me. He did one 10 triangle, saw how much work it was, and changed his mind! :lol: But I agree, if you had a bunch of people to do it with it would be much more fun.

There is a more manageable version listed in the files on the Rightstart yahoo group. I'm not sure of the details as I joined the group after I had already skipped that lesson in B. :tongue_smilie: We're at the tail end of C and I haven't found skipping it to be a problem.

There is a more manageable version listed in the files on the Rightstart yahoo group. I'm not sure of the details as I joined the group after I had already skipped that lesson in B. :tongue_smilie: We're at the tail end of C and I haven't found skipping it to be a problem.

:iagree:

You make *one* ten trangle, and then show the kid nine more printed ones. You use those ten triangles (one glued/9 printed) to make *one* hundred triangle. Then you show the kid nine more printed ones. You use those triangles to make the thousand.

So much more manageable.

:iagree:

You make *one* ten trangle, and then show the kid nine more printed ones. You use those ten triangles (one glued/9 printed) to make *one* hundred triangle. Then you show the kid nine more printed ones. You use those triangles to make the thousand.

So much more manageable.

This! We did this, the file is on the yahoo group. Easy peasy!

We didn't even do RS... but we were lucky enough to hang with a couple families who got to the Cotter's 10 at the same time. We all made it together and the kids took it apart and each took a part of it home. It was fun. So I guess I'm trying to say if you can find someone to share the cutting load, then it's good to do in a group.

I'd totally do it as part of a group. Would be a great activity.