Menu

Is the Logic of English and spelling or English program?

deeinfl

It's more of a language arts program in my opinion. It utilizes phonics and spelling rules to learn to read and spell. It also incorporates a grammar which gets more in depth each lesson. The workbook has pages for dictation, copywork, and vocabulary development as well.

I'm using it with a first grader and a third grader for different reasons. My first grader has improved leaps and bounds on reading and her spelling/grammar is coming along nicely. My third grader is learning the most from the spelling rules and a ton from the grammar.

I do a lesson a week with the first grader and a lesson every two or three days with my third grader.

We are new to homeschooling, but I love logic of English. It's a big win in our home.

I always call it English because to me English means phonics/spelling (interchangeable in my mind) and grammar. Writing is a separate subject in my mind. But I'm really liking LOE so far. I add in handwriting, copywork, and/or composition (meaning longer pieces of writing) and notebooking in content subjects. Her composition piece of the program is really more learning how to form a strong sentence, which I love that she focuses on. I can't wait to see what she does in the Advanced level and wish it were coming out next year.....

I always call it English because to me English means phonics/spelling (interchangeable in my mind) and grammar. Writing is a separate subject in my mind. But I'm really liking LOE so far. I add in handwriting, copywork, and/or composition (meaning longer pieces of writing) and notebooking in content subjects. Her composition piece of the program is really more learning how to form a strong sentence, which I love that she focuses on. I can't wait to see what she does in the Advanced level and wish it were coming out next year.....

ITA, except "English" also includes writing; it's the study of all the components which helps someone become proficient in reading and writing English: reading/phonics, spelling/vocabulary, grammar, composition, even penmanship.

If I were having to document what I was doing because of state hs laws, I'd separate out the parts of LOE instead of lumping it altogether under "language arts" (which is a term I never use anyway, lol), or even "English."

I think LOE's biggest strength (the Essentials level) is as a spelling program. Anyone looking for a good rules based spelling program could choose LOE and find that spelling is covered as a subject.

The other aspects of the program can be included/emphasized or de-emphasized as desired by the teacher, but it's hard to see someone choosing LOE just for one of those other aspects, kwim? So someone might do another handwriting, grammar, vocabulary or writing program along with LOE but I don't think someone would ever chose LOE for the grammar and do a different spelling program.

I think LOE could be considered a "complete" language arts program if the teacher fully uses all the components/sections of the lessons and possibly adds a bit more writing practice. The writing (composition) element might be what most people would consider most lacking as there are not as many writing assignments as a typical program focused on just writing.

We chose LOE because DD needed serious help with spelling. We're not doing any other language arts programs other the LOE because I want to focus on spelling this year. We don't even spend a ton of time on the grammar or vocabulary sections! DD really dislikes writing when she doesn't know how to spell what she is being asked to write, so completing the minimal writing assignments in LOE is about right for her this year. Then I am hoping as her spelling improves we'll be able to add in more writing -- whether that's adding another writing program this year or just being able to do a writing program with more success next year.

... it's hard to see someone choosing LOE just for one of those other aspects, kwim?

I must be really odd. I'm particularly interested in finding out more about the grammar and sentence composition lessons. I have this obsession lately with finding a systematic and efficient way to cover basic sentence composition and punctuation patterns.

The new digital version, available in installments has caught my attention. The formatting that uses 3 colors and clear charts, makes it useable as a digital version, as it doesn't need highlighting and notes, to use it.

I just wish the curriculum was finished, and that I could even see the later lessons of the book that has been published so far. I have a good idea of where the spelling finishes up, but am very unclear about where the grammar and sentence compositions end off.

Thanks everyone! That clears it up for me. I thought that maybe the spelling program was separate from the program, but from my understanding of your explanations, this program encompasses all aspects of English. :lol:

I wish I could see a day in the life of this English program.

Dee