Menu

How do I create a pettiskirt/crinoline/slip effect?

DD is quite disappointed with her Halloween costume......and honestly, I don't blame her, because the skirt on her "princess" dress (seen HERE) is very flat. I'm now sure that they photographed it with a slip under it. It looks rather silly and droopy right now. Obviously, I can't go out shopping, so I went to Amazon in search of a pettiskirt/crinoline/slip. Everything I find either looks too flat, isn't prime (it won't get here in time), is the wrong size, or costs WAY more than I'm willing to spend ($10-$15).

THIS is too big (and I can't find it in her size), but otherwise perfect.

THIS is the right size and price, but looks rather flat itself.

THIS looks perfect except it isn't prime.

So.....how can I accomplish this for her by Halloween??? Somebody creative must have an idea!! :)

Another option is if that one you said is right but looks flat: Do you have someone that can get to a fabric store and buy a yard of cheap fabric like this? Because you can just do a quick hand stitch around it with extra fabric. It doesn't have to be perfect since it is just underneath.

Considering how cheap those options are, I'd probably go with the one that is too large and then cut it down/modify it.

You could shorten the top by pinning (or quickly stitching) the waist up higher on the top and/or folding over a bit of the top part of the skirt, making it a bit shorter there.

You could shorten the hem by simply cutting the tulle. Tulle is rarely/never hemmed. It doesn't fray. So, you can just trim an inch or several off the bottom.

If the waist is too large, that's an easy fix -- either just let it hang loose or safety pin it at the sides or back to take in a bit.

If you don't want to modify one of those, then I'd google up some simple instructions for sewing a tutu -- you just need to get a bunch of tulle, and make a waistband (ideally with elastic, but you could just make it tie in the back if elastic is intimidating), and attach the tulle to the waistband. Make sure the tulle is gathered a lot -- if the waist band is 18 inches, you'd want at least 2+ yards of length of tulle. The more you gather, the fluffier it'll be. You can do multiple layers of tulle (same length or tiered) for a fluffier look.

Modifying and/or adding on to one of the above options will be cheaper than sewing from scratch in most cases!

ps. I thought your favorite one was a full slip, but it is NOT, it is just the bottom half! FYI!

Anyway, if you're just looking for the skirt part, I think just cutting the bottom will be easiest!

I did too at first.....and reading the reviews it doesn't sound overly promising on the "poof" factor either. Sigh.

DD is REALLY skinny (46" and 35lbs) - she could really wear a 3T or so in the waist, but her height usually requires a sz 6. Her costume is the same brand as 2 of the ones I listed (the size 4 and the "favorite" one) and is a size 5-7yr and is an almost perfect fit surprisingly. Maybe I should just get her the size 4 and hope that it's as full as it looks even though the reviews aren't stellar.

I'm trying to find a hoop skirt. That would SURELY be enough poof!

Do you have any dance wear places? Maybe you could call a few places and have someone go for you?

Yeah, I was trying to find one too.....I didn't have much luck.

The only dance shops are really in the studios themselves and usually expensive.

DD is quite disappointed with her Halloween costume......and honestly, I don't blame her, because the skirt on her "princess" dress (seen HERE) is very flat. I'm now sure that they photographed it with a slip under it. It looks rather silly and droopy right now. Obviously, I can't go out shopping, so I went to Amazon in search of a pettiskirt/crinoline/slip. Everything I find either looks too flat, isn't prime (it won't get here in time), is the wrong size, or costs WAY more than I'm willing to spend ($10-$15).

THIS is too big (and I can't find it in her size), but otherwise perfect.

THIS is the right size and price, but looks rather flat itself.

THIS looks perfect except it isn't prime.

So.....how can I accomplish this for her by Halloween??? Somebody creative must have an idea!! :)

Go to Joann's, get some white broadcloth, some white tulle/netting (whatever colour you want actually) and make it how you want....you can get as full and stiff or as full and flowy as you want based on gathering and placement. It doesn't have to be neat since it will be underneath and is fairly inexpensive to make.

YAY! And thanks, because I TOTALLY forgot to get dd a nude colored leotard for under her costume. SHe is some sort of gypsy thing. It's cute, but the bottoms are low cut and the top is short like a sports bra. I just found one for PRIME. What would we do without amazon

Um, guess again dear. You are COVERING lol.

YAY! And thanks, because I TOTALLY forgot to get dd a nude colored leotard for under her costume. SHe is some sort of gypsy thing. It's cute, but the bottoms are low cut and the top is short like a sports bra. I just found one for PRIME. What would we do without amazon

Um, guess again dear. You are COVERING lol.

Haha! Glad I could trigger your memory too :)

One other suggestion: pop in a thrift store, buy a skirt or dress with it built in and cut it out, pin, velcro or quickly stitch it in. Had to do this once for a play.

If I wasn't so sick, I would totally try this first!! I love thrift shopping!

Another possibility-if you have a local HS moms board, ask and see if anyone has a dance costume that would work. DD has had several long tutus for past ballet recitals that only get worn as dress up clothes now-and would likely be perfect to add fullness under a costume that I'd happily pass on to someone local if they had a need for it!