Menu

Running, weight loss and being vegetarian

Here's the story:

Spring 2011 - tried C25K. Liked it okay but didn't like running in the heat. Never got fast enough to do 5K in 30 minutes. Kinda gave up in August and only periodically exercised through fall of 2011. I piked up Zumba in November and stayed with it until the end of April 2012 when class stopped for the summer. I got down to 175 pounds.

Fast forward to 3rd week September 2012 - I'd done nothing during the last 6 months except we went vegetarian (lacto-ovo). I mostly maintained my weight until we went south for that trip. Lots of people fed us lots of food. By the time I came back I weighted 181, my highest weight ever.

I decided I was going to powerwalk on the treadmill. I managed that for about 2 weeks. Then I just started running. I also picked up yoga once a week (I can go up to 3 days a week but it is a mixed class and I don't want the advanced people to have to slow down for me. I'd rather work my way up.)

I'm still hovering between 177-179. Today, for the first time ever I ran at a speed of 4.0 for 30 minutes. I did some 5.0 intervals, and I'm hoping to get faster longer. Today's stats are: 41.23 minutes, 2.762 miles, 394 calories.

Now after reading all that here are my questions:

How fast and for how long will I have to run to start seeing some real progress with the weight loss? I'm willing to work at it and have a goal of 5K in 30 minutes by Christmas. I'd also like to see my weight be 165 by that time.

I can cut out most carbs (beans, rice, pasta, grains) but that leaves me with only fruit, veggies, eggs, cheese and milk. Is that enough to provide fuel for my running goal?

Ultimately my goals are to weigh 120, be able to run 5K on M, W, F and 10K on T, Th. I'll be doing yoga also on M, W, F

Oh, and please don't tell me to eat meat and cut out carbs. I'm not interested in that. My views have gone from not eating meat for health reasons to not eating meat for ethical reasons. I am slowly on my way to a vegan lifestyle.

Thanks for any help or insight.

Okay, I don't eat dairy and the only meat I eat is fish and that is a recent addition to my diet. I am a runner and usually complete 1 marathon a year. I cannot cut carbs or I get sluggish and depressed. I think beans and rice a good for you! My rules:

at least 45 minutes of running, 6 days a week.

Yoga every day

No white rice, potatoes, white flour,

Very little corn or corn products. They just make me fat.

Very little sugar. I am addicted to chocolate almond milk and sometimes get too much. It is my vice. ;)

I love bread so eat Ezekiel bread, no white flour.

I don't think I could run any distance on no carbs. I think quality is important.

You surely can be athletic and vegan.

Have you considered a vegan protein powder? There are some good ones. You could throw a smoothie in every day with some berries.

I low carb it, but not like some LCers. I eat plenty of fruit. I do not eat much meat actually. Some legumes just not every day. The brunt of my diet is veggies. I do a protein powder because I just feel I need the protein and I do not like to eat too many eggs.

Have you considered a vegan protein powder? There are some good ones. You could throw a smoothie in every day with some berries.

I low carb it, but not like some LCers. I eat plenty of fruit. I do not eat much meat actually. Some legumes just not every day. The brunt of my diet is veggies. I do a protein powder because I just feel I need the protein and I do not like to eat too many eggs.

I found one I love! Soy-free Veg Protein Booster by Natureade. It's vegan!

This is going to be super fast (I am sneaking computer time during lessons). I am a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) who has lost 40+ lbs. and kept it off for over 4 years. I have also done couch to 5k run.

When I started taking control of my health, I cultivated the habit of exercise. I lost very little and it stayed that way for a long time. I was losing like a pound a month. Really.

It wasn't until I started counting calories (not carbs or anything else) and taking charge of portion control that I started seeing the scale move. I get asked all the time 'how I did it' and all I can say is that it was 85% diet and 15% exercise.

So, don't count on exercise to make the scale move. But, but, but, the changes I have seen in my body from regular hard exercise are amazing and totally worth it.

I found a vague 'south beach' approach very helpful in organizing my weight loss. I adapted it easily to a vegetarian lifestyle. Oh, and fiber! I have a very high fiber intake.

So, yes, get moving...get off that couch! But your weight loss is going to come from what you (don't) put in your mouth every day, day after day, every single meal.

do you eat nuts?

as our diet is evolving, we are down to pretty much what you listed + nuts + fish. we do still have organic free range chicken once or twice a week, which is affordable because that's all the meat we buy, kwim?

on that diet, dds dance 20 hours+ a week. i walk a lot, but don't run, and we all hike a lot.

that said, the exercise doesn't really help us lose weight except that it is an appetite suppressor for us. ie. i don't feel as hungry if i exercise. and for a while i had a rule about having to take a walk or do crunches before i had a snack, and that often eliminated the desire.

we count the calories, and use the scale. all the time.

you can do this!

ann

I can't comment on the eating, but I can on the running. I started C25K in April of 2011 (after my last ds was born) with a lot of pg weight to lose. My first 5K in July of that year was 38:45. I started training for a 1/2 marathon in August and completed it in Nov 2011. I never got to a 30 min 5K that year.

Everything I've read said just to focus on the running and speed would come. Well, fast forward to this year and I'm now running a solid under 30min 5K with a new goal of a 25 min 5K. I haven't worried about speed at all, just made sure that I was taking my long runs easy (10-12 min miles...training for another half so they are all 6+ mile runs) and pushing myself once a week on either a 3 or 5 mile run depending on the timing. I'm also running a 52 min 5-miler that isn't too taxing. I have also included weight/cross-training 2x/week and try to get to yoga 1x/week.

All of that's to say...just get your mileage and time in and the speed seems to come. I've heard from so many runners that running takes years. The good news is that we get to improve consistently and that is motivating! What's really great for me is to enjoy a 5-mile run and not be terrified heading out for a 12-miler.

I have still not reached my goal weight. However, I feel healthier and am shedding those last 5 lbs slowly. I have really been focusing on eating enough protein as I just recently found out how important it is. It seems like there are a lot of options for vegetarians after reading upthread.

I'll tell you that I didn't lose a pound until I was running for at least 45 mins a day, 5 days a week, and doing yoga once to twice a week. I had been running for a year by that point. I think my body needed to hit a certain threshold before I could shed any weight.

Don't give up. Keep focusing on being healthy. And if you want inspiration on the vegetarian front this book looks good.

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Run-Unlikely-Ultramarathon-Greatness/dp/0547569653/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351268560&sr=1-1&keywords=jurek

I'm not a veg, but I do eat a ton of fruits and vegis! I have lost 75 pounds over the last 10 months, by eating good and walking/running 5K a day. I do in 45-50 minutes. I have hit a major plateau.

I talked to a trainer and she said...ugh...that my body was going to need more burning of calories to push the plateau!

So I am maintaining til after the holidays and then I will add more to my workout. I am going to add a step aerobics or body pump class 3-4x a week to push the next 30 pounds off!

Okay, I don't eat dairy and the only meat I eat is fish and that is a recent addition to my diet. I am a runner and usually complete 1 marathon a year. I cannot cut carbs or I get sluggish and depressed. I think beans and rice a good for you! My rules:

at least 45 minutes of running, 6 days a week.

Yoga every day

No white rice, potatoes, white flour,

Very little corn or corn products. They just make me fat.

Very little sugar. I am addicted to chocolate almond milk and sometimes get too much. It is my vice. ;)

I love bread so eat Ezekiel bread, no white flour.

I don't think I could run any distance on no carbs. I think quality is important.

I do my running after breakfast which generally consists of one egg, mixed greens, and a toasted sandwich round with butter.

I'll tell you that I didn't lose a pound until I was running for at least 45 mins a day, 5 days a week, and doing yoga once to twice a week. I had been running for a year by that point. I think my body needed to hit a certain threshold before I could shed any weight.

Don't give up. Keep focusing on being healthy. And if you want inspiration on the vegetarian front this book looks good.

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Run-Unlikely-Ultramarathon-Greatness/dp/0547569653/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351268560&sr=1-1&keywords=jurek

The book looks interesting. Thanks for linking it.

I'm not a veg, but I do eat a ton of fruits and vegis! I have lost 75 pounds over the last 10 months, by eating good and walking/running 5K a day. I do in 45-50 minutes. I have hit a major plateau.

I talked to a trainer and she said...ugh...that my body was going to need more burning of calories to push the plateau!

So I am maintaining til after the holidays and then I will add more to my workout. I am going to add a step aerobics or body pump class 3-4x a week to push the next 30 pounds off!

Good luck!

I'm seeing a recurring time of 45-60 minutes per day. Interesting.

Edited by Parrothead

Never thought of protein powder. Thanks.

This is going to be super fast (I am sneaking computer time during lessons). I am a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) who has lost 40+ lbs. and kept it off for over 4 years. I have also done couch to 5k run.

When I started taking control of my health, I cultivated the habit of exercise. I lost very little and it stayed that way for a long time. I was losing like a pound a month. Really.

It wasn't until I started counting calories (not carbs or anything else) and taking charge of portion control that I started seeing the scale move. I get asked all the time 'how I did it' and all I can say is that it was 85% diet and 15% exercise.

So, don't count on exercise to make the scale move. But, but, but, the changes I have seen in my body from regular hard exercise are amazing and totally worth it.

I found a vague 'south beach' approach very helpful in organizing my weight loss. I adapted it easily to a vegetarian lifestyle. Oh, and fiber! I have a very high fiber intake.

So, yes, get moving...get off that couch! But your weight loss is going to come from what you (don't) put in your mouth every day, day after day, every single meal.

I do have two goals. They kind of coincide and hopefully can be met together. For reasons not mentioned I need to get stronger/faster/healthier. Hence both weight loss and exercise.

do you eat nuts?

as our diet is evolving, we are down to pretty much what you listed + nuts + fish. we do still have organic free range chicken once or twice a week, which is affordable because that's all the meat we buy, kwim?

on that diet, dds dance 20 hours+ a week. i walk a lot, but don't run, and we all hike a lot.

that said, the exercise doesn't really help us lose weight except that it is an appetite suppressor for us. ie. i don't feel as hungry if i exercise. and for a while i had a rule about having to take a walk or do crunches before i had a snack, and that often eliminated the desire.

we count the calories, and use the scale. all the time.

you can do this!

ann

Yes. I get nuts periodically. They are expensive and dh eats them like candy.

I agree. I do have to want those cookies bad enough to bake them.

I do have two goals. They kind of coincide and hopefully can be met together. For reasons not mentioned I need to get stronger/faster/healthier. Hence both weight loss and exercise.

I get this. Health is so important. Why do I always feel like I'm saying "I lost a hundred pounds" LOL. But I did. Once I got down to about 160ish I started lifting weights. TRANSFORMATION. There are just too many benefits. If you really want to kick start things, find a way to fit in just 2 days of some weight training. Even body weight things. Pushups, planks, jump squats. I have a pullup bar in my door way. You can start with negatives. Jump up, lower down as slow as possible. A kettlebell is inexpensive and you can get a ton accomplished with one. A little muscle is so good for your bones. Your bones have to accomodate muscle and in turn become more dense. And in conjunction with your running, you will accomplish a lot. I go in waves with running. Right now I am doing sprints. But I never give up some resistance training because it keeps me lean. And I can weigh a ton more than others my same weight because I have more muscle mass.

My $.02 which may not be worth that. I put on running shoes on Memorial Day and started running. I just increased things as it felt good. I am now running 5K about 5-6 days/week (some days more if I feel like it). I'm not very fast, I'm pushing to get done in 30 minutes. I'm more comfortable about 32. You're not running a marathon. I would think your normal, balanced diet would be fine. I eat very little meat and despise dairy. My only real change has been to add a couple eggs to my diet every couple of days. I've lost 30 pounds and gone from a size 14 to a 6. Go for it. It's not like you'll end up in worse shape. Healthier has got to be better, right?

My $.02 which may not be worth that. I put on running shoes on Memorial Day and started running. I just increased things as it felt good. I am now running 5K about 5-6 days/week (some days more if I feel like it). I'm not very fast, I'm pushing to get done in 30 minutes. I'm more comfortable about 32. You're not running a marathon. I would think your normal, balanced diet would be fine. I eat very little meat and despise dairy. My only real change has been to add a couple eggs to my diet every couple of days. I've lost 30 pounds and gone from a size 14 to a 6. Go for it. It's not like you'll end up in worse shape. Healthier has got to be better, right?

Exactly! ;)

I have to run to get my heart rate and BP back to normal ranges. Both are edging toward high and I refuse to take meds for either. I know it is because I've gotten so out of shape over the last 14 years.

Got married, got pregnant, got out of LE and firefighting, multiple moves to extreme locations (desert or practically the tundra), homeschooling.

Now dd is capable of working independently in many subjects so I need to give her about 30% of my focus. The rest can be divide between my health 30% and other life issues. So it is time.

I get this. Health is so important. Why do I always feel like I'm saying "I lost a hundred pounds" LOL. But I did. Once I got down to about 160ish I started lifting weights. TRANSFORMATION. There are just too many benefits. If you really want to kick start things, find a way to fit in just 2 days of some weight training. Even body weight things. Pushups, planks, jump squats. I have a pullup bar in my door way. You can start with negatives. Jump up, lower down as slow as possible. A kettlebell is inexpensive and you can get a ton accomplished with one. A little muscle is so good for your bones. Your bones have to accomodate muscle and in turn become more dense. And in conjunction with your running, you will accomplish a lot. I go in waves with running. Right now I am doing sprints. But I never give up some resistance training because it keeps me lean. And I can weigh a ton more than others my same weight because I have more muscle mass.

I agree. If I don't do something now I know what will be down the road in 15-20 years - heart attack, stroke, bone loss, etc. I already have two related yet different auto-immune diseases. I don't want more.

I wasn't suggesting you ignore exercise. Not at all. Your OP asked how much running had to happen before you see 'real progress on the weight loss' no? My experience (nordic track or jogging for 45 mins a day 5X a week plus 45 mins of pilates/weights/etc 3 times a week) has shown me that weight loss really didn't happen until portion control happened. I spent months and months cultivating exercise as a habit, which was one of the best things I have ever done, but it didn't shift the weight very much.

That is why, if you read Forks Over Knives or join Weight Watchers, for example, they focus so much on diet and less on exercise. Weight loss really starts with diet. Now, health is about moving. That is key! But, if you want the scale to move faster you need to keep an eagle eye on the plate, fork and cup.

I will say that for sheer calorie burning you need to focus on distance cardio. For me, that would be 45 mins minimum at an aerobic level. But, that is not to negate or ignore the reality of needing to build muscle.

I can't personally help much because I'm not a runner (never have been), but I do know quite a few vegan runners and I know they don't do LC or anything like that. They just eat a well-rounded, plant based diet.

You may have mentioned this before, but why do you do LC? Maybe if you're running now you could add healthy carbs back into your diet - ?

Sorry I can be of much help. :)

Calorie wise, you are much better running long and slow than short and fast. If you are sweating and breathing hard, you are burning plenty of calories.

I'd suggest focusing on time-on-feet and/or distance for now, then worry about speed later (if ever) after you've gotten a base of running established. Personally, I would suggest not thinking about speed until you have been running 30+ min 3x/wk for at LEAST 6-12 months solid. This is about injury prevention, too.

You probably burn about 600-700 cal/hr of running. That means if you run 30 min 3x/wk, you're buring about 900-1000 cal/wk. So, it helps lose weight (and more importantly, build health), but it doesn't make up for bad eating habits.

(I've run 150 miles in the past 30 days, x-trained 6-8 hrs/wk, and managed to gain 3 lbs . . . So, I am a poster girl for exercise HELPS lose weight, but is not actually a free pass to eat EVERYTHING YOU SEE, lol.)

I would NOT NEVER cut down or out your beans! That's a big protein source for you, and vital for health, a huge fiber source! Beans = GREAT. For weight loss, you will likely want to trim portions on REFINED carbs (white flour pasta/bread/etc) and eliminate/reduce sugar, too. Eat all the beans you can, some eggs, all the veggies you can, plenty of fruit, some healthy fats, and whole grains/nuts/etc. Just trim refined carbs/juices/etc.

Here's the story:

Spring 2011 - tried C25K. Liked it okay but didn't like running in the heat. Never got fast enough to do 5K in 30 minutes. Kinda gave up in August and only periodically exercised through fall of 2011. I piked up Zumba in November and stayed with it until the end of April 2012 when class stopped for the summer. I got down to 175 pounds.

Fast forward to 3rd week September 2012 - I'd done nothing during the last 6 months except we went vegetarian (lacto-ovo). I mostly maintained my weight until we went south for that trip. Lots of people fed us lots of food. By the time I came back I weighted 181, my highest weight ever.

I decided I was going to powerwalk on the treadmill. I managed that for about 2 weeks. Then I just started running. I also picked up yoga once a week (I can go up to 3 days a week but it is a mixed class and I don't want the advanced people to have to slow down for me. I'd rather work my way up.)

I'm still hovering between 177-179. Today, for the first time ever I ran at a speed of 4.0 for 30 minutes. I did some 5.0 intervals, and I'm hoping to get faster longer. Today's stats are: 41.23 minutes, 2.762 miles, 394 calories.

How fast and for how long will I have to run to start seeing some real progress with the weight loss? I'm willing to work at it and have a goal of 5K in 30 minutes by Christmas. I'd also like to see my weight be 165 by that time.

I can cut out most carbs (beans, rice, pasta, grains) but that leaves me with only fruit, veggies, eggs, cheese and milk. Is that enough to provide fuel for my running goal?

Ultimately my goals are to weigh 120, be able to run 5K on M, W, F and 10K on T, Th. I'll be doing yoga also on M, W, F

Oh, and please don't tell me to eat meat and cut out carbs. I'm not interested in that. My views have gone from not eating meat for health reasons to not eating meat for ethical reasons. I am slowly on my way to a vegan lifestyle.

1. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So you've got to look at your diet.

2. When you went vegetarian, what did you cut out and what did you replace it with?

3. No advice to eat meat is fine, but I would recommend cutting your grain intake - especially wheat. Replace grain with more vegetables and healthy fats and proteins like beans/eggs.

4. Be careful about dairy - if you are consuming a lot of it then you will not lose weight. It is common for people to replace meat with dairy when they go vegetarian but that will sabatoge weight loss and blood sugar stuff.

5. For dairy do quality cheeses and plain greek yogurt, but not lots of milk for drinking or sweetened yogurts.

I agree. If I don't do something now I know what will be down the road in 15-20 years - heart attack, stroke, bone loss, etc. I already have two related yet different auto-immune diseases. I don't want more.

If you deal with autoimmune issues then I would advise cutting dairy and gulten for sure. Don't go gluten-free-packaged as replacement though, do more vegetables and fats like avocado and olives and coconut instead.

I wasn't suggesting you ignore exercise. Not at all. Your OP asked how much running had to happen before you see 'real progress on the weight loss' no? My experience (nordic track or jogging for 45 mins a day 5X a week plus 45 mins of pilates/weights/etc 3 times a week) has shown me that weight loss really didn't happen until portion control happened. I spent months and months cultivating exercise as a habit, which was one of the best things I have ever done, but it didn't shift the weight very much.

That is why, if you read Forks Over Knives or join Weight Watchers, for example, they focus so much on diet and less on exercise. Weight loss really starts with diet. Now, health is about moving. That is key! But, if you want the scale to move faster you need to keep an eagle eye on the plate, fork and cup.

I will say that for sheer calorie burning you need to focus on distance cardio. For me, that would be 45 mins minimum at an aerobic level. But, that is not to negate or ignore the reality of needing to build muscle.

Yeah, I get all that. I'm concerned about both. And I want to have enough fuel to feed the running and the yoga. last thing I need is to fall off the stupid treadmill because I've neglected food.

A typical day's food looks like this:

scrambled or fried egg maybe with cheese and mixed greens and a sandwich round toasted and butter

mixed greens salad with feta cheese and lemon juice squeezed on top

cheese and/or fruit

a carb serving, 2-3 veggies and maybe more salad

I can't personally help much because I'm not a runner (never have been), but I do know quite a few vegan runners and I know they don't do LC or anything like that. They just eat a well-rounded, plant based diet.

You may have mentioned this before, but why do you do LC? Maybe if you're running now you could add healthy carbs back into your diet - ?

Sorry I can be of much help. :)

I actually haven't gone LC yet. But I'm willing if it will help with weight loss. But I need enough fuel to run and do yoga.

If I only run and don't do any other exercise I don't lose weight at all. In fact I eventually start to gain. When I was running 5-10 miles 4-5 times a week and not doing other forms of exercise I plateaued and then began to gain weight.

For me, if I'm not doing weight/strength training then I will not lose weight nor will I be able to maintain my current weight. When I added in 3 days of weight training my weight/size went back down.

I could do cardio all day every day and I prob still wouldn't lose anything. It's all about muscle for my body. When I started doing at least 3 days a week of strength training I dropped from a size 12 to a size 2.

Calorie wise, you are much better running long and slow than short and fast. If you are sweating and breathing hard, you are burning plenty of calories.

I'd suggest focusing on time-on-feet and/or distance for now, then worry about speed later (if ever) after you've gotten a base of running established. Personally, I would suggest not thinking about speed until you have been running 30+ min 3x/wk for at LEAST 6-12 months solid. This is about injury prevention, too.

You probably burn about 600-700 cal/hr of running. That means if you run 30 min 3x/wk, you're buring about 900-1000 cal/wk. So, it helps lose weight (and more importantly, build health), but it doesn't make up for bad eating habits.

(I've run 150 miles in the past 30 days, x-trained 6-8 hrs/wk, and managed to gain 3 lbs . . . So, I am a poster girl for exercise HELPS lose weight, but is not actually a free pass to eat EVERYTHING YOU SEE, lol.)

I would NOT NEVER cut down or out your beans! That's a big protein source for you, and vital for health, a huge fiber source! Beans = GREAT. For weight loss, you will likely want to trim portions on REFINED carbs (white flour pasta/bread/etc) and eliminate/reduce sugar, too. Eat all the beans you can, some eggs, all the veggies you can, plenty of fruit, some healthy fats, and whole grains/nuts/etc. Just trim refined carbs/juices/etc.

Thanks. :grouphug:

Yeah, I get all that. I'm concerned about both. And I want to have enough fuel to feed the running and the yoga. last thing I need is to fall off the stupid treadmill because I've neglected food.

A typical day's food looks like this:

scrambled or fried egg maybe with cheese and mixed greens and a sandwich round toasted and butter

mixed greens salad with feta cheese and lemon juice squeezed on top

cheese and/or fruit

a carb serving, 2-3 veggies and maybe more salad

The real question is, how many calories is that and how many do you need to eat to lose weight?

I have a calorie allotment of approx 1300 calories. I am only 5 feet tall. It plays havoc with my calorie allotment. A typical day for me is:

Breakfast: 3 or 4 egg whites cooked with .5 cup frozen collard greens, roasted red peppers and onion.

Lunch: 100 grams of kale, steamed. .5 cup black beans and a drizzle of low fat balsamic dressing.

Snack: .5 cup fiber 1 cereal, .25 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1 cup no sodium added vegetable juice

Dinner: steamed purple cabbage, one small sweet potato, onion, and .5 cup red beans or marinated tofu. (maybe some broiled salmon on occasion)

Evening snack: .25 cup greek yogurt with .5 cup blueberries.

Coffee and green tea, unsweetened, with unsweetened almond milk if desired.

And the occasional cookie (calories counted!) because LIFE! :001_smile:

1. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So you've got to look at your diet.

Yeah, I am.

2. When you went vegetarian, what did you cut out and what did you replace it with?

Veggies and salad. I think that is how I was able to go all summer without gaining 10 pounds like I have the previous 6 summers. At least until the relatives fed us.

3. No advice to eat meat is fine, but I would recommend cutting your grain intake - especially wheat. Replace grain with more vegetables and healthy fats and proteins like beans/eggs.

I get two servings of grain now. I'm considering cutting those out.

4. Be careful about dairy - if you are consuming a lot of it then you will not lose weight. It is common for people to replace meat with dairy when they go vegetarian but that will sabatoge weight loss and blood sugar stuff.

I get a splash of milk in my eat and 1-1.5 ounces 4-5 times a week. I weigh the cheese.

5. For dairy do quality cheeses and plain greek yogurt, but not lots of milk for drinking or sweetened yogurts.

I don't like the texture of greek yogurt.

If you deal with autoimmune issues then I would advise cutting dairy and gulten for sure. Don't go gluten-free-packaged as replacement though, do more vegetables and fats like avocado and olives and coconut instead.

I don't have a problem with gluten. I know what caused the auto-immune diseases. And as soon as I find a decent replacement for milk in my tea I'll cut out milk.

The real question is, how many calories is that and how many do you need to eat to lose weight?

I have a calorie allotment of approx 1300 calories. I am only 5 feet tall. It plays havoc with my calorie allotment. A typical day for me is:

Breakfast: 3 or 4 egg whites cooked with .5 cup frozen collard greens, roasted red peppers and onion.

Lunch: 100 grams of kale, steamed. .5 cup black beans and a drizzle of low fat balsamic dressing.

Snack: .5 cup fiber 1 cereal, .25 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1 cup no sodium added vegetable juice

Dinner: steamed purple cabbage, one small sweet potato, onion, and .5 cup red beans or marinated tofu. (maybe some broiled salmon on occasion)

Evening snack: .25 cup greek yogurt with .5 cup blueberries.

Coffee and green tea, unsweetened, with unsweetened almond milk if desired.

And the occasional cookie (calories counted!) because LIFE! :001_smile:

Our typical days are very similar. I try to stay way from an evening snack. I'm 5'7" if it matters.

Our typical days are very similar. I try to stay way from an evening snack. I'm 5'7" if it matters.

It matters only that you can eat more than meeeee! :lol: Everyone can eat more than me, I am used to it.

You can check out a couple calorie counters etc to see what your genera allotment for weight loss should be. Sparkpeople is one. You can use it to track your calorie intake. People who log their food lose more weight than people who don't. If you have a smart phone you can use the app 'Lose it'.

And if you don't like greek yogurt, then don't eat it. There is no magic food or anything like that. It's not a deal breaker.

Agreeing with others that I'd worry more about distance/mileage than speed. I love the c25k program, but honestly running the 5k in 30mins. at the end of the program is a stretch for many of its participants, particularly those of us who were out of shape, overweight, or are a bit older when starting (I was all three). I went through the program twice, once about 3 years ago and once in spring of 2011, but I stuck with running the second time. I remember finishing the program in late June 2011, and I could run the 30-35 mins straight with no issues. Because of my speed though, I needed to continue to build up to longer running intervals. I ran my first 5k in Sept. of that year and was SLOW, 41 minutes or so. BUT I completed it, didn't walk one single step, and felt good afterwards.

I've now completed a few 10K events and am training for a half. My speed has improved, but I still don't run 10 minute miles. On my short runs I hit about 11min and my longer runs are more like 12:00-12:30.

I initially lost 35lbs quickly when doing the c25k. It was partially due to the cardio work, but I also watched my diet carefully (it was low carbish and I only do meat 1-2 times per week). Strength training was also important, adding muscle means more calorie burn, but does slow the weight drop on the scale.

Although I've continued to build my running program I noticed that as the strength training and the diet slid, my weight plateaued. I can maintain with just the running, but not continue to lose weight. I'm happy (went from 185-150ish and from a 14 to a 10) but would like to lose about 10 more and be into an 8.

Also, after the initial shock of exercise to your system, your body adapts so continued weight loss can be difficult. I've had several friends who trained for and ran marathons, but actually gained weight. Here's an interesting read:http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/

I've found this to be somewhat true for myself and my running friends. I continue to put in the miles b/c I've come to value the sport for itself. It's not about weight loss. This half marathon training has made me ravenous. I've done some cross-training on my mountain bike, but that hasn't budged the scale either. I eat reasonable portions (but too many carbs/rich foods and not enough veggies), but without the strength training and more careful diet I doubt the scale will budge. This week for example I've put in 44.4 miles (3 mountain bike rides of 13, 9, and 7 miles and 4 runs:4, 3.5, 2, 2, and 3.5)during which I burned over 3000 calories. I feel great and definitely look better, but I'm still not thin.

It matters only that you can eat more than meeeee! :lol: Everyone can eat more than me, I am used to it.

You can check out a couple calorie counters etc to see what your genera allotment for weight loss should be. Sparkpeople is one. You can use it to track your calorie intake. People who log their food lose more weight than people who don't. If you have a smart phone you can use the app 'Lose it'.

And if you don't like greek yogurt, then don't eat it. There is no magic food or anything like that. It's not a deal breaker.

The calorie calculator said I need 1784 calories to maintain my weight with no exercise.

Today I had 258 calories for breakfast and 165 for lunch according to sparkpeople. And that is pretty typical. If I plan on having a sandwich for lunch I'll just have fruit for breakfast or just veggies for dinner.

Agreeing with others that I'd worry more about distance/mileage than speed. I love the c25k program, but honestly running the 5k in 30mins. at the end of the program is a stretch for many of its participants, particularly those of us who were out of shape, overweight, or are a bit older when starting (I was all three). I went through the program twice, once about 3 years ago and once in spring of 2011, but I stuck with running the second time. I remember finishing the program in late June 2011, and I could run the 30-35 mins straight with no issues. Because of my speed though, I needed to continue to build up to longer running intervals. I ran my first 5k in Sept. of that year and was SLOW, 41 minutes or so. BUT I completed it, didn't walk one single step, and felt good afterwards.

I've now completed a few 10K events and am training for a half. My speed has improved, but I still don't run 10 minute miles. On my short runs I hit about 11min and my longer runs are more like 12:00-12:30.

I initially lost 35lbs quickly when doing the c25k. It was partially due to the cardio work, but I also watched my diet carefully (it was low carbish and I only do meat 1-2 times per week). Strength training was also important, adding muscle means more calorie burn, but does slow the weight drop on the scale.

Although I've continued to build my running program I noticed that as the strength training and the diet slid, my weight plateaued. I can maintain with just the running, but not continue to lose weight. I'm happy (went from 185-150ish and from a 14 to a 10) but would like to lose about 10 more and be into an 8.

Also, after the initial shock of exercise to your system, your body adapts so continued weight loss can be difficult. I've had several friends who trained for and ran marathons, but actually gained weight. Here's an interesting read:http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/

I've found this to be somewhat true for myself and my running friends. I continue to put in the miles b/c I've come to value the sport for itself. It's not about weight loss. This half marathon training has made me ravenous. I've done some cross-training on my mountain bike, but that hasn't budged the scale either. I eat reasonable portions (but too many carbs/rich foods and not enough veggies), but without the strength training and more careful diet I doubt the scale will budge. This week for example I've put in 44.4 miles (3 mountain bike rides of 13, 9, and 7 miles and 4 runs:4, 3.5, 2, 2, and 3.5)during which I burned over 3000 calories. I feel great and definitely look better, but I'm still not thin.

Thanks for all the info. Good luck on your half.

The calorie calculator said I need 1784 calories to maintain my weight with no exercise.

Today I had 258 calories for breakfast and 165 for lunch according to sparkpeople. And that is pretty typical. If I plan on having a sandwich for lunch I'll just have fruit for breakfast or just veggies for dinner.

Conventional wisdom says that in order to lose approx. 1lb per week you need to consistently (as in all the time) take in (or burn) 300 calories a day less than you need.

So, if 1784 maintains your weight, you have a weight loss budget of 1484 per day.

That isn't the formula for everyone, and it seems to change as we get older, but it is as good a place as any to start.

I have ran and ran and ran and lost 10lbs max. The weight didn't start rolling off of me till I started lifting heavy a$$ weight. Kettlebells, free weights, etc. large compound movements- deadlifts, squats, KB swings, etc. The weights do something to my metabolism that all the cardio in the world wouldn't do (i am now down 60lbs, and from a size almost 18 back to an 8... i am within 5lbs or so of my wedding day weight, and i wasnt healthy then, i was definitely "skinny-fat")I still run as an endurance activity that I enjoy (well I really enjoy obstacle racing, but that's another story), and for the heart health benefits. But *for me* it never amounted to any real fat loss that stuck.

Here's the story:

I am sorry that I just skimmed your post and haven't read the replies. What helped me is eating just the right amount: too little and I felt drained, useless, and unable to lose weight, eating too much made me feel slow and unable to lose weight. Also, I incorporated plyometrics which has really helped with losing weight and improving my run times.

If you are going to run, you need carbs, plain and simple. My favorite happens to be corn in the form of tortillas. Every time I have that, I have a great run.

BTW, Runners World, some issues ago, had a great article this year on running and being athletic while being vegan. They may have that article on-line.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not read any of the responses, so this might have been said already, but I just wanted to say that when the goal is weight loss, diet is much more important than exercise. Exercise is great for health, and can contribute towards the goal of weight loss, but the diet change is what makes the biggest difference.

I don't understand why you want to cut out beans. Beans and legumes are usually staples for vegans (my husband is vegan btw, so we only cook vegan at home) and they don't interfere with weight loss. Milk (and milk products) and refined sugar are the first things I would cut out of a diet if my goal was weight loss.

As for the running, the best way to guarantee that you will stick with it long term, is to do it because you enjoy it and not for weight loss. Stop timing your runs. Set an achievable goal and go SLOW. It doesn't matter how fast you run. You get the most amount of benefit when you are in the aerobic zone (you could benefit from a book about the physiology of running and how it affects the body). For most beginners (especially overweight) that would be probably 13 min/miles or more. So forget about the 5K in 30 mins. I'm sure you could put yourself through hell and achieve it, but it would not serve your long term goals.