Menu

Jane Eyre

Okay- so I have to admit.... I actually just read Jane Eyre for the first time. I don't know how I've missed that one for so long. (I love the Kindle because I can get all these for free now!)

In any event, what's your favorite movie adaption of it?

I like the one with Timothy Dalton. But, it is from 1983 so the settings and filming leave a little to be desired.

:iagree:

I love both of these! I usually watch them both when I'm on a Jane Eyre kick. I watch this one too, although it's not as good an adaptation. I love Ciaran Hinds though. :tongue_smilie:

I like the one with Ciaran Hinds and Samantha Morton

here

Respectfully to both of you, no, No, NO!!!!!:001_smile: The first one is oversexualized and not faithful to the book. Mr. Rochester and Jane are in situations and behave in ways that are not in the book and outside their characters. The second one leaves out a lot, including characters. We watched it after my oldest had just finished the book, and she kept saying, "That's not what happened!"

I like the one with Timothy Dalton. But, it is from 1983 so the settings and filming leave a little to be desired.

Mrs. Mungo is absolutely right! It is the most faithful to the book and I really like it. But it is a mini-series, so it is long and was obviously low budget. It looks dated.

I do like the new one that came out a couple years ago in theaters. Here

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053Q9DHW/ref=bit_p_realnetworks-abb_amznsearch_ff_us_title?_encoding=UTF8&ascsubtag=YnvVf1JCQo00wF&tag=realnetworks-abb-amznsearch-us-ff-20&tagbase=realnetworks-abb&tbId=YnvVf1JCQo00wF

But I'm sure it will have it's detractors too.:001_smile:

As you can tell, fans of Jane Eyre definitely have opinions on the best movie of it:001_smile: Kind of like the Pride and Prejudice crowd. I have my opinion there too :001_smile: Of course you could have a Jane Eyre marathon and watch them all! If you do that, make sure to watch the old, black and white version with Orson Welles!

Enjoy,

Mary

I like the first one posted (with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens). Its the only one I've seen where Jane has some spirit (which is the whole point of the book...the girl is unbreakable), affection, equity between the two of them, and the participants aren't traditionally handsome. I call Stephens '

.' He's not like I imagine Rochester in the book but it is an interesting interpretation and you do actually understand that there is an attraction between them which is more than most of the movies manage.

While the Timothy Dalton one is better than most I can take it or leave it. It seemed stagey, Dalton was too handsome, and I can't really see the connection between the characters. I never saw him as being as emotionally dark as Rochester, just a poor rich boy who felt sorry for himself. Zelah Clarke was a mirror of calm (not weak) as Jane but lacked passion, I thought.

Most versions are just copies of the original Orson Wells version. A very strong, interesting Rochester and a very confused, passive Jane. Its a vanity project for a male actor. :glare: Ugh. I particularly disliked Wells version (although I think he makes a good Rochester it completely missed the point of the book and only focuses on his character), the Samantha Morton version (disappointing, I like her so much generally), and the William Hurt version (he's so tired in this movie, I just want him to sit down).

Infidels! :boxing_smiley:

Welles is the only one I liked. :tongue_smilie: I will agree though that Jane was too passive. Although when you think about it, her spirit showed most with Rochester and in her head. [well and the one time with her aunt] With everyone else she was a bit resigned to her fate.

Respectfully to both of you, no, No, NO!!!!!:001_smile: The first one is oversexualized and not faithful to the book. Mr. Rochester and Jane are in situations and behave in ways that are not in the book and outside their characters. The second one leaves out a lot, including characters. We watched it after my oldest had just finished the book, and she kept saying, "That's not what happened!"

Mrs. Mungo is absolutely right! It is the most faithful to the book and I really like it.

:iagree::iagree:

I love this version and own it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780362/

I hated the one done last year. It was awful!!

I was really disappointed with the one done last year - what a let down!!

This one - it's the same one Heather linked at the beginning of the thread - is really very good but I wanted to suggest another one -

1973 version of Jane Eyre

There is a wonderful chemistry between Sorcha Cusack and Michael Jayston that just isn't there with any of the other versions. And Michael Jayston delivers his lines perfectly. Don't let the production values turn you off to this version. After a few minutes you won't notice the "stage play" look to it.