Menu

History Question: Please Help

Sahamamama

We have been learning about the Separatists in Scrooby, England; how they moved to Leiden in the Netherlands; and how the congregation made the decision to "remove" themselves to America. We are enjoying our study, but we have a question:

Why didn't they go to Germany, instead of traveling to plant a new colony in America?

[i realize that this question reveals our profound ignorance, but in the interest of learning, we will ask it]. Thanks!

Couldn't they have gone to, say, Geneva -- or somewhere in Switzerland? We are just wondering why/if there wasn't some other place in Europe, or if they felt (and obviously, they did) that all other options were closed to them. We just never thought about this before! Thanks for any input. Sorry we are so ignorant of history, but we ARE trying to learn.

I would tend to agree with what has been said, but I am no history scholar. The reformation only started around the 1500s. AND it began in Europe, with people being persecuted, burned at stakes, etc. for bucking the Catholic Church and for trying to event put the Bible into print. Would you want to take your family there, if there was such unrest? Martin Luther - wasn't he in Germany?

I'm not sure if this is the real reason, but think of it now. Sometimes, I would like to take my family to a remote location to get away from the degradation going on here. The other reason for going to the New Land was the promise of "free" property.

I'm not sure if this is the real reason, but think of it now. Sometimes, I would like to take my family to a remote location to get away from the degradation going on here.

How many times I have said I wish there were a place left to go to that isn't infested with so much evil. Antarctica just is not an option for me. Hehe.