Menu

Need book recommendations...

Otter has always been a super picky reader. It took FOREVER to get him the least bit interested in chapter books (fiction/novels). He's more of a non-fiction type of kid and he still likes picture books.

I'm trying to find the next chapter book hit(s) for him. If anyone has any suggestions, pleeeeeeeeeeease let me know!

Here's a list of books he's read to give you kind of an idea of what's worked out and what's been a flop.

Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan - HUGE hit

Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan - HUGE hit

He's currently reading the Red Pyramid series by Rick Riordan and that's working out too. I'd say Riordan is his fave author so far. He loves his books so much he actually bought the Percy Jackson series with some b-day money (wha? Otter buying books on his own? Yeah, he liked them that much.)

Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins- He tolerated the first book (he liked the part about the games) and couldn't get into the 2nd one.

Overlander series by Suzanne Collins- He got about 3 chapters into the first book and didn't like it.

Left Behind Series for kids - He read through 15 of the books and really liked them up to that point and then got bored with the 16th.

Hardy Boys - He read a few of these and liked a couple of them (but not a LOT) and then didn't really like the third one he tried.

Swipe by Evan Angler - He really liked this one and didn't like the 2nd book in the series (Sneak).

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - LOVED it and then complained it was too short. ;)

Crispin: The End of Time by Avi - Liked it (sorta) - He would have never of considered reading it at all if I hadn't read the first in the series out loud to him first.

Ereth's Birthday & Poppy by Avi - Liked them both but had to force himself to read through parts that weren't as interesting.

Quake! by Joe Cottonwood - Loved it

Hank the Cowdog series - Liked a lot of these

The weird thing is he loves a lot of books that I read out loud to him but would hate them if he had to read them himself (historical fiction, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Ds2, who is a Percy Jackson fan (though he doesn't care for RR's other 2 series) is also a huge Artemis Fowl fan and has enjoyed other books by Eoin Colfer. He is currently into Carl Hiaasen's YA books: Hoot, Flush, Chomp; he has yet to read Scat. He also enjoyed Tangerine by Edward Bloor.

Ds2, who is a Percy Jackson fan (though he doesn't care for RR's other 2 series) is also a huge Artemis Fowl fan and has enjoyed other books by Eoin Colfer. He is currently into Carl Hiaasen's YA books: Hoot, Flush, Chomp; he has yet to read Scat. He also enjoyed Tangerine by Edward Bloor.

Another vote for Artemis Fowl.

Is he in 8th grade? Is that his reading level?

My 8th grader is reading I Am Number Four right now and enjoying it. He and his 12 year old brother also enjoyed the Maze Runner trilogy.

I'm reading the first of The Mysterious Benedict Society series and they all (boys 13, 12, and 9) like it.

Series of Unfortunate Events

Call of the Wild

Hatchet

The Graveyard Book

Coraline

The Giver

Holes

Ender's Game

Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit

My Side of the Mountain

A Wrinkle in Time

a book @ King Arthur and his knights

Artemis Fowl

Bud, not Buddy

The Westing Game

Is he in 8th grade? Is that his reading level?

My 8th grader is reading I Am Number Four right now and enjoying it. He and his 12 year old brother also enjoyed the Maze Runner trilogy.

I'm reading the first of The Mysterious Benedict Society series and they all (boys 13, 12, and 9) like it.

Series of Unfortunate Events

Call of the Wild

Hatchet

The Graveyard Book

Coraline

The Giver

Holes

Ender's Game

Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit

My Side of the Mountain

A Wrinkle in Time

a book @ King Arthur and his knights

Artemis Fowl

Bud, not Buddy

The Westing Game

Oooh I forgot about Ender's Game! That would be perfect for him.

Thanks for all the suggestions (everyone)!!