Menu

Where do you buy (or have you bought) rugs?

I'm talking floor rugs, not wall-to-wall carpeting. I need something soft and durable and cheerful and reasonably priced. We have one rug from Pottery Barn but we don't have a PB budget anymore. What would you suggest? Not looking for something formal... more like a fun family room rug. THANKS!

I successfully ordered an area rug from Home Decorators.com. I also bought one at a parking-lot sale at "The Great Indoors," a store 'round my way. I think it is a Sears affiliate. The rug from Great Indoors has held up nicely for 9 years, in the family room of my house (constant use). The catalog-ordered one has held up fine for about 7 years, but it is in a low-use room, so I'm not sure. Those were both pretty inexpensive.

ETA: The Great Indoors is a Sears affiliate, but apparently, they all closed. :( boo. That was a cool store.

I always use overstock.com They have TONS in inventory in a million different sizes. On my scxreen the colors have always been true and they ship right to my door for $5...no lugging things home from a store. My 9x12 thick 100% wool living room rug cost me about $500. The 8x10 braided wool ones that I got for my kids' rooms were under $250.

Garage sales. Seriously, I have found some very, very nice rugs at yard sales for practically nothing. The most expensive one I bought was for $40.00 and it was huge and in excellent condition. You have to be particular - check for no pets, no smoking, etc. but really good deals are out there.

homedecorators.com

jossandmain.com

onekingslane.com

rugsusa.com

I like to use indoor/outdoor rugs because they are cheaper, often reversible (twice the wear) and wash off with a hose.

A question.. jossandmain.com and onekingslane.com want my email address. Are they going to send me annoying emails every day? Are their prices/products worth the hassle?

I always use overstock.com They have TONS in inventory in a million different sizes. On my scxreen the colors have always been true and they ship right to my door for $5...no lugging things home from a store. My 9x12 thick 100% wool living room rug cost me about $500. The 8x10 braided wool ones that I got for my kids' rooms were under $250.

Thanks! I was just coming back to ask you about shipping. The rugs look great and there is free shipping today (ends today). But if it's only $5 usually, I don't need to stress and decide this minute, I guess. :)

I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the rug I got from IKEA over a decade ago has held up. I can't swear that the new ones are as durable, but I never would've guessed that the one I bought for <$100 way back when would look decent today.

Good to know. We're going up there soon for some shelves... I'll check them out online to see if there are any I like (although WHY don't they hire someone to update their website? It's so un-user-friendly!).

A question.. jossandmain.com and onekingslane.com want my email address. Are they going to send me annoying emails every day? Are their prices/products worth the hassle?

yes they will, morning and evening. I set up gmail so that they go directly to a folder that I only read if I'm in the mood or in the market for something. There are several ways to do this, a few are listed here. http://www.online-tech-tips.com/google-softwaretips/block-spam-email/

Like most of these "flash deal" sites there are some really good deals to be had and some that are just so-so or even more expensive than tjmaxx or HomeGoods.

I bought this rug on jossandmain for $39 and it shipped directly from RugsUSA where they are selling it today for $71.

I got this lighting fixture for my bathroom remodel for $139 on jossandmain with free shipping.

Thanks! I was just coming back to ask you about shipping. The rugs look great and there is free shipping today (ends today). But if it's only $5 usually, I don't need to stress and decide this minute, I guess. :)

Yes, regular everyday shipping is usually only $5 and they run specials for free shipping on a regular basis. I've yet to find any store that compares to their prices on area rugs. I even made my mom buy hers from there too and she was thrilled with the rug. Just pay attention to the reviews. I've never been unhappy with an item with 4 or more stars. :D

I buy rugs from Overstock or Pottery Barn. I make sure they have lots of reviews. I order the smallest size (2 x 3, 3 x 5) so I can see the colors and so if I don't like the rug, it will be easy to return.

The first picture is from Overstock. You can see the color difference between what I bought and O's photo.

Edited by RoughCollie

I buy rugs from Overstock or Pottery Barn. I make sure they have lots of reviews. I order the smallest size (2 x 3, 3 x 5) so I can see the colors and so if I don't like the rug, it will be easy to return.

The first picture is from Overstock. You can see the color difference between what I bought and O's photo.

[ATTACH]10750[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10751[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10752[/ATTACH]

I think this is the same pattern as my living room rug, only I think I got it in a slightly lighter shade...it is a little more turquoise. Love it!