Menu

Please tell me we're not the only late morning starters.

naturally

I don't even get up until around 10:30 a.m - natural clock time - it doesn't matter what time I go to bed. 10 p.m. or 4 a.m. I still wake up at 10:30 :glare:. I am a night owl. I've TRIED to change this fact about myself many times. I have never succeeded with long-term success, even after years of getting up early for work, then again with DS as a baby and toddler (DD is a night owl, late riser right from birth). Now that the kids don't require constant supervision, I'm a late sleeper again.

The earliest we start is 11, but it's usually closer to 11:30.

I do intend to try again to get up earlier. This time I'm going to try it incrementally, though. And the more organized I get during my late night sessions, the easier it might be (at least I hope). I won't NEED so many late night, interruption free, work sessions.

Our whole family is a bunch of night owls. I'm so glad we don't have to wake the kids up at 6:30 for school anymore. I usually go to bed between 1 and 2 and the kids are rarely in bed before 9 or asleep before 10. My goal is to get up at 7:45, wake the kids up at 8, and start school at 9, but we have many days when we're all falling out of bed around 8:30, eating a slow breakfast and getting household stuff done, then starting at 10. It works, we're all well-rested for a change, the house doesn't fall apart, and we get enough to eat (they often ate cereal in a baggie when they went to school).

I"m usually up around 7 because of the baby, but the kids usually sleep till 8:30ish and school hopefully will start around 10 for a little bit, but truthfully most happens around 2 p.m. when I lay the 2 little ones down for naps.

Confession.

Not only do we get up late but my children have learned to quietly occupy themselves when they do rouse and then I often take their breakfast to their rooms so they can stay there even longer. They know to eat, get dressed and then they have indoor play time (down the other end of the admittedly small house) until an hour after I served breakfast. By then I should be ready for them. Otherwise, I invoke outdoor play time early and put off starting the day even longer. Think about it - it's 10:42 right now and I am nursing a headache and preparing my second cup of tea while they are running through the hallway and bedrooms playing "Dragon Fight" with toy saws for swords. The thought of starting this insanity earlier OR sitting them down at the table to work first is just unfathomable right now. I know some children can't work after they've been playing but as long as mine knows what to expect, he does better having worked off some of his exorbitant amount of energy first.

The benefit of this has been that I don't so much need quiet time in the afternoons (which never gave me a second wind anyway). The little ones still go for some quiet time for an hour or so while I do seat work with DS after lunch but their afternoon naps have been almost eliminated (except for the two year old but they all used to go down for 2.5-3 hours) without me losing my mind.

Our whole family is a bunch of night owls. I'm so glad we don't have to wake the kids up at 6:30 for school anymore. I usually go to bed between 1 and 2 and the kids are rarely in bed before 9 or asleep before 10. My goal is to get up at 7:45, wake the kids up at 8, and start school at 9, but we have many days when we're all falling out of bed around 8:30, eating a slow breakfast and getting household stuff done, then starting at 10. It works, we're all well-rested for a change, the house doesn't fall apart, and we get enough to eat (they often ate cereal in a baggie when they went to school).

:iagree:

I used to get up at 5:30 or 6am and have my coffee and the kids were up shortly after that. But, I've had to recently stop drinking coffee and so I have been sleeping in a lot later and moving a lot slower in the mornings. It works, though, because as the kids are getting older, they are starting to sleep a little later. I've noticed we've been starting school around 10, though. Later than I'd like, but it appears we are in good company!

I am another late starter. My kids aren't morning people. They take a little while to wake up. If I try to force them to start earlier, the kids have meltdowns and I need my emergency chocolate a lot more frequently. :) I try to start the day by taking a walk after breakfast.

Don't beat yourself up over this. You're certainly not alone.

I hate getting up early, so do my kids. We usually don't fall asleep until between midnight at 0100. We all usually wake sometime between 0830 and 1030. We start whenever we're all ready. Many days my older two start their independent stuff after they've had breakfast and woken up a bit, usually sometime between 1030 and 1100. I'm fine with that. I snag my younger one when I see him come down.

When they were younger and my little guy was just a baby/toddler we never started school before 1300 (1pm for those non-military folk :001_smile:) because that's when he went down for a nap.

Now my kids do have PS friends, that are usually here at about 1500 (3pm) looking to play, so the kids go play and sometimes end up doing history or science after dinner than.

Just do what make sense for your family, it's one of the beautiful benefits of homeschooling.

Confession.

Not only do we get up late but my children have learned to quietly occupy themselves when they do rouse and then I often take their breakfast to their rooms so they can stay there even longer. They know to eat, get dressed and then they have indoor play time (down the other end of the admittedly small house) until an hour after I served breakfast. By then I should be ready for them. Otherwise, I invoke outdoor play time early and put off starting the day even longer. Think about it - it's 10:42 right now and I am nursing a headache and preparing my second cup of tea while they are running through the hallway and bedrooms playing "Dragon Fight" with toy saws for swords. The thought of starting this insanity earlier OR sitting them down at the table to work first is just unfathomable right now. I know some children can't work after they've been playing but as long as mine knows what to expect, he does better having worked off some of his exorbitant amount of energy first.

The benefit of this has been that I don't so much need quiet time in the afternoons (which never gave me a second wind anyway). The little ones still go for some quiet time for an hour or so while I do seat work with DS after lunch but their afternoon naps have been almost eliminated (except for the two year old but they all used to go down for 2.5-3 hours) without me losing my mind.

:lol:

While we're confessing... I was so happy when the girls could make their own breakfasts so I didn't have to get up when they got up. Right now, they get the alarm in the morning, eat breakfast, make coffee, and then come to wake me up. :tongue_smilie:

We don't start early, either. :)

Overall, we're just not morning people. I can get up early if I need to - if I have somewhere to be, for example - but even if I set my alarm for 8, I never get up when it goes off. I usually get up between 9-10 and start school around 10-10:30.

It may need to change for my family at some point, but right now it works. I've always been one who doesn't get tired at night until WAY late (early? :lol: ) - think 4-5am before I start noticing anything. So it isn't rare for me to stay up until 12 (or, last night, 2 - reading!) and even then just be going to sleep because I know I 'should'.

When my kids went to PS, I went to bed pretty regularly at 10:30-11, but I had to get up at 6:45. Now that I don't have to, there is no way I will just because. :D

When YDS was up around 6 and napped in the afternoon, I'd get school done in the morning so I could nap too. Now, it's a rare day that we start before lunch. We're usually finishing up when DH comes home. I spend the morning reading and having my me time while the boys play.

I went out with some home school mom's last night for coffee and dessert.

There was a stuffed skunk holing a sign that read "MORNINGS STINK"

he was sitting on a cute espresso cup holder!

I wanted to adopt him and the set of cups!

Maybe later ;)

I am demanding the "quiet time" for 2 hours every afternoon.

I did hear SWB speak on this a few years ago and had been doing it already, but it is a battle.

DH is going to need to participate more right now, because with his snoring and me nursing our infant, I am not getting enough sleep. And his nagging me to go to bed early with no light to read by is for the birds!

Any suggestions on how to implement home work in the evenings is appreciated.

DH thinks I should get up early and get it all done before he gets home and have supper ready, and be HAPPY:tongue_smilie:

Another one waving to a late start here! :) :seeya:

We sleep in as late as we need, unless we have a reason to be out of the house early. During fall and spring soccer seasons, we need that extra sleep. I find that we may be up a bit earlier in the winter and so start earlier. But, nothing really gets going here before 8:45 (more likely 9).

I love this part of homeschooling! And, some days I love my afternoon nap while the kids have quiet time! :)

I love this thread! Thanks for starting it.

I tried to start school at 8am sharp & I did not do very well. I find that I need a couple of hour to warm up. We have been starting school about 9:30 a.m. & that works well for us. I don't like fighting with them in the mornings to get them out of bed..that puts me in a bad mood faster than anything & it ruins the rest of my day. I also work full-time from home so I also squeeze that in.

We have daily afternoon activities but they are usually done with school by then & if not then they can do it after soccer, basketball, dance/cheer, gymanstics, choir, youth group, piano, Tae Kwon Do, music lessons, etc.

Besides..this is one of the perks of homeschool..NOT fighting in the morning to rush them off to school. :lol:

I love this thread I have enjoyed reading the replies they are to funny. It's nice to know that I am not the only one who doesn't get started til around 11am most days and I HATE IT!!:tongue_smilie:

I love being morning person (no tomatoes please:)) but even my normally bright cheery dd13 is GRUMPY when my CHEERFUL self tries to wake them up early to get things out the way so, we can relax in the evenings. If dds could I believe I would dodge pillows for being a morning person. Darn you non morning people!!!:D