Menu

Please tell me we're not the only late morning starters.

naturally

After late bedtimes, a co-sleeping nursing 1 year old, and just plain mental exhaustion, we don't usually get up until around 9:00. That starts most days with a feeling of already being behind. Add in boys who would rather play than do school and we start late.

I don't really need advice on changing bedtimes, getting up earlier, etc. I just need to know that we aren't the only homeschooling family that wakes up later and eases into the day.

Sometimes we're only starting breakfast at 10. :leaving:

I'm working on changing that ... at least, I'm intending to at some point.

Same here. I just need time to veg and come to terms with being awake for a while. So do my kids.

The difference is everyone is happy, or everyone is in misery. Seems like an easy choice to me. :lol:

I get up by 7. They most certainly do NOT. I have 2 hours in the morning to read, get lessons together, drink a vat of coffee, and whatever else I need to do.

You aren't alone! We don't go to bed late and are usually up by 7:30 at the latest, but we still don't start school until 10 or 10:30. Before lunch we do our calendar activities, memory work, some reading aloud and then either history, science or geography. I try to get math and spelling done with my oldest but it doesn't always happen. After lunch we do all the rest. My kids just seem to focus a lot better after they have had most of the morning to play. I am beginning to really appreciate the flexibilty that homeschooling offers! :001_smile:

Definitely not alone. We usually crawl out of bed around 8:00am, but we take a nice long breakfast to wake up, and my medication needs to kick in before we're up to teaching, so classes usually don't start until around 10:00.

This is one of the things I love about homeschooling. Our schedule is made to fit our needs, not the other way around.

:seeya: We start late. I am NOT a morning person and homeschooling has gone a lot better since I stopped trying to pretend I am. I had a guilt-complex about never getting started at 8 and always felt defeated from the moment I started every day. Since I have let things fall into a routine on their own things have gone much smoother and we've actually gotten MORE school done. But part of my attack was that I start my boys on independent work while I'm still eating breakfast & taking a shower. So I kill 2 birds with one stone... I don't feel like everyone's waiting on me and school is getting accomplished, and I also don't have to start teaching as soon as my feet hit the floor because I just can't handle that. But they still don't usually start anything until I get up which is not uncommonly 9, and sometimes even 10 on an extra-tired day. :D I decided that I need my sleep and since I have a hard time going to bed early (or sleeping well in general), I am not going to force myself to wake up earlier and make myself more miserable and tired. What's the point?

Edited by TaraJo29

Sometimes we're only starting breakfast at 10. :leaving:

I'm working on changing that ... at least, I'm intending to at some point.

Thank you! I'm with you on the bolded. That is very much where I am.

So glad its not just us. I think it comes down to this - I don't have many irl friends so I try to connect somehow by reading online - blogs, boards, groups, etc and I see all these other moms who are doing so much more than we are. More schooling - both in quantity and acedemically, more fields trips, more outings, more irl friends. It makes me feel "less than" in all areas. I know I shouldn't compare but it happens.

It's just nice to not feel so alone.

:seeya: We start late. I am NOT a morning person and homeschooling has gone a lot better since I stopped trying to pretend I am. I had a guilt-complex about never getting started at 8 and always felt defeated from the moment I started every day. Since I have let things fall into a routine on their own things have gone much smoother and we've actually gotten MORE school done. But part of my attack was that I start my boys on independent work while I'm still eating breakfast & taking a shower. So I kill 2 birds with one stone... I don't feel like everyone's waiting on me and school is getting accomplished, and I also don't have to start teaching as soon as my feet hit the floor because I just can't handle that. But they still don't usually start anything until I get up with is not uncommonly 9, and sometimes even 10 on an extra-tired day. :D I decided that I need my sleep and since I have a hard time going to bed early (or sleeping well in general), I am not going to force myself to wake up earlier and make myself more miserable and tired. What's the point?

We've were like that for years...by the time we actually got going, it was usually 10ish....and completely fine with that.

BUT this year, with oldest DS off to public high school and me up by 7am, the youngers wake up shortly after (although I'd prefer if they slept it). We have time to eat, chillax for a bit and still get started by 9a.m. And I'm loving that too! I'm enjoying the somewhat more predictable schedule.

So whatever works for you now!

We started school at 11:00 am after Sesame Street for the younger and Little House on the Prairie for older and me through 2nd grade for the older dd.

The next year when she was in 3rd and younger was in 1st and we had more outside activities I needed us to start earlier to get all done that I wanted. So during Christmas break of that year I wrote a very detailed schedule for the 2nd semester, including starting and stopping times for each subject and it worked wonders. I now make a schedule and we start by 9:00 (ish) and have for 2.5 years. We are not slave to the schedule, but it helps keep us on track. DD10 cannot function without one.

We are very busy w/activities, field trips, scouts, and co-op. But don't be jealous, but I no longer have any nursing babies, though I miss them. I do babysit a toddler now, but I send her home in the evenings, so I sleep.

This is something I have struggled with so much.

When I had 2 children, I worked in a private Christian school, and it was so hard to get there with them before 8 am. I was fully nursing at that time too. Then I had an ectopic pregnancy and had to have surgery, and quit my job halfway through the year.

Now, I am nursing our 8th child, and realize that we have fluctuated so much... I used to take naps in the afternoon and get up earlier ( by 7),

but with a rough year last year due to endometriosis, surgery, a terrible pregnancy, and getting so behind on everything :lol:,

and a dh who leaves before we ever think of getting up... plus 2 boys who get up early...

I am just sleep deprived, having brunch most days, even if we are up, there is too much to do before we can actually eat or cook.

I don't do refined cereals anymore, and even oatmeal, eggs, and toast takes awhile to prepare and serve.

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM

DD is only in K, and I thought we were doing great to have me up by 7:30, her up at 8:30, eating breakfast, and starting by 9/9:15...then I got pregnant and morning (all-day, 24/7) sickness began to kick my butt. So...now I sleep until I wake up, which the last couple weeks was mostly 10am, this week starting to creep a bit earlier.

I'd like to get us back closer to the schedule we started with, as my ds2 wakes up around 11:30, 11:45, and school goes so much better if he is sleeping and not "helping".

With baby due in May, and pregnancy being so rough for now, I have scaled back from our plans to do phonics + math +religion + character study +science +logic, to being glad we are on target to finish math and phonics (which both incorporate handwriting) by the time baby is due. I figure she can watch and rewatch all her magic school bus videos when baby comes and that'll cover K science.

Next year is bound to go smoother with a 1st grader, a preschooler and a new baby, right....right? sigh...

We get up at 9, start learning at 10/10:30. Works for us! I used to think we should "improve" and start learning at 9:00, but I'm all over that idea. We just like staying up late. We all tuck in DH at 9:30, then we read stories until 10/10:30, then the DS5 and DD6 go to sleep and DS7 and DD9 read books until 11 or so. We're very happy with our (weird) schedule. :)

You know the quiet time that SWB recommends? I love it, my mom did it with us, it helps my sanity. We just do it after breakfast rather than in the afternoon. I have two hours to play on the computer, drink my coffee and slowly wake up. DS uses his to get his independent work done, and dd plays on her own in her bedroom. In fact, it is 11 am here and I am just about to start...

Same here. I just need time to veg and come to terms with being awake for a while. So do my kids.

The difference is everyone is happy, or everyone is in misery. Seems like an easy choice to me. :lol:

This. I cannot wake up and just be up and at 'em. Never have been that way and I am way too old to change. :glare: My kids like to stay in PJs a bit and have breakfast..slowly...and then we'll ease into a read aloud once my coffee has kicked in. ;)

This is my favorite part of homeschooling, I think. I really don't know how my DS would make it on the bus by 7:40. :001_huh: He would have to be AWAKE, first of all. And dressed. And fed. And homework done. ETC! Not sure how that would work, as I wouldn't even be out of bed yet. :lol::lol:

Do what works. I have friends who sleep in until noon most days, but stay up late and do school with daddy in the late evenings. It works for them. Every family has their internal clock, and many of them aren't set for early morning risers. :001_smile:

This. I cannot wake up and just be up and at 'em. Never have been that way and I am way too old to change. :glare: My kids like to stay in PJs a bit and have breakfast..slowly...and then we'll ease into a read aloud once my coffee has kicked in. ;)

This is my favorite part of homeschooling, I think. I really don't know how my DS would make it on the bus by 7:40. :001_huh: He would have to be AWAKE, first of all. And dressed. And fed. And homework done. ETC! Not sure how that would work, as I wouldn't even be out of bed yet. :lol::lol:

Do what works. I have friends who sleep in until noon most days, but stay up late and do school with daddy in the late evenings. It works for them. Every family has their internal clock, and many of them aren't set for early morning risers. :001_smile:

Most of our friends are PS students. They are just NOT awake in the am. They can barely eat because of being tired, and then after school it's homework and dinner, after school activities that go to late and they just don't get enough sleep.

No thank you.

I've battled chronic fatigue for some time and there is no way, no way, that I could be up and ready by 9 a.m., though I do try, but thankfully, after my children have grown a bit, they all get up quite early and start their morning work on their own. (I am more of a nightowl, cooking, cleaning, and organizing later at night)

We leave their afternoon work for late afternoon when I am wide awake and can work with them on subjects that I don't like them to do alone...

The beauty of homeschooling is that we don't have to follow anyone's timetable, and that we can change right along with the years and the seasons.

Right now this is a season for you, but later on it may change to look very different from the way you homeschool now.

I promise you that whether you start at 9 or at 11, it won't make a difference in their education. They will still learn...:D

Be very blessed!

Dee (in Sunny FL!)

Most of our friends are PS students. They are just NOT awake in the am. They can barely eat because of being tired, and then after school it's homework and dinner, after school activities that go to late and they just don't get enough sleep.

No thank you.

I know. I sort of feel sorry for some of our ps friends. They really are so tired all the time. And they can't be kids, which is the worst part. My DS is good friends with the neighbor boy, and wants to play with him. He gets off the bus at 4pm, and they used to be able to play a bit a couple of years ago. Now his mom said he can't play after school because he has almost TWO hours of homework (4th grade!!) as well as a couple of activities on certain nights. That makes me so sad. I remember how it was when my DS was in PS, and in first grade he often had an hour of homework. It really was like....off the bus, do homework, eat dinner, bath, bed. I'm so glad I don't have to do that homework fight right after school. Makes no sense to me when they are young, and it is mostly busy work.

Anyway, not to derail the thread. :001_huh: Starting late in the morning is fine, and preferable, IMO. :)

Why feel behind if it works best for you? We go to bed late and don't start until 10-10:30 most days.

I didn't read all of the posts, but :iagree: with this! I also have a co-sleeping and nursing one-year-old and some nights we don't get to bed until later. This morning, my dd's ate breakfast at 10:30! I am sure (from experience) we will have to change these habits as they get older, but this is only a season, and this too, shall pass! Relax, you're doing great!

I have never ever been a morning bird. I consider it an improvement that I wake up at 8:30-9:00 nowadays. :lol: I feel like we don't get enough done because after lunch we are all done and can't stand each other any longer (except my extrovert!). So we take a quiet time. Doing anything after that is hard. We're more productive in the evenings, but soccer has that time right now and dh plays Nintendo which means NOTHING gets accomplished. :glare:

I thought sleeping late was one of the top 10 advantages of homeschooling?!

i used to be a morning person, but dh wont come to bed much before 1 am, and the alarm goes off at 7:30 and we hit snooze a few times and get in the shower . . . i take some alone time in my room after that and get down around 9 . .. we start school between 10 and 11 . .. end between 3 and 4 . ..

The only reason mine start that early is because they have extra-curricular in the afternoon/evening. I revolt and make them start independent work so I don't have to be teaching that early. ;) When everyone was little we definitely eased into our work and often started the day with cartoons. :001_smile:

Don't worry about it at all!

You know the quiet time that SWB recommends? I love it, my mom did it with us, it helps my sanity. We just do it after breakfast rather than in the afternoon. I have two hours to play on the computer, drink my coffee and slowly wake up. DS uses his to get his independent work done, and dd plays on her own in her bedroom. In fact, it is 11 am here and I am just about to start...

Well, I like the sound of that! In fact, it's kind of what I already do, LOL. Now I can just put a name to it! :D

You're not the only one. We get up when we get up (but no later than 9), then we have a relaxing breakfast and settle into school. We tried the whole "gotta start by 8" mentality, and it took us forever. We end at the same time starting at 9:30 that we did starting at 8. The kids focus better, I'm actually awake, and in general things go better. I'll even admit to letting my older 2 play games before school.

You have a 1 yo. Whenever you can squeeze in sleep, do it! Be kind to yourself.

We don't start early, either. I am a night owl and I just don't function 'till at least 9 a.m. Also, I work a full-time job mostly from home, so I need to spend some time in the morning checking email, phoning in to meetings, etc., at the same times folks in the office are doing those things. So we often school right before/around lunch, and then again later in the afternoon after I am "off" of work. Sometimes we finish up in the evening before dinner, and after dinner I often do some more work myself (I am a technical writer, so sometimes evenings are a good time to get some time to myself and get heavy editing done).

I think that's one of the huge perks to homeschooling--school can happen anywhere, anytime!

Same here. We have 2 nights a week that we are out til 9pm. No stressing, freaking out to get home and get in bed. I just let them sleep til they get up. I've noticed the older they are, the later they wake up. Sometimes not til 9. Now, my husband works an odd shift where he doesn't start til 1130 am. So, we have our evening time with him in the morning. We do lunch then school all afternoon. II myself am not a morning person, so it takes me forever to wake up. It works for us.

I get up by 7. They most certainly do NOT. I have 2 hours in the morning to read, get lessons together, drink a vat of coffee, and whatever else I need to do.

I love getting up early to drink coffee and surfing the net while the children sleep.

After late bedtimes, a co-sleeping nursing 1 year old, and just plain mental exhaustion, we don't usually get up until around 9:00. That starts most days with a feeling of already being behind. Add in boys who would rather play than do school and we start late.

I don't really need advice on changing bedtimes, getting up earlier, etc. I just need to know that we aren't the only homeschooling family that wakes up later and eases into the day.

We don't get up till 10, 10:30 and never even start school until 11 or later.

This is brilliant! Thank you!

Bye bye guilt. :auto::D

You aren't alone! We don't go to bed late and are usually up by 7:30 at the latest, but we still don't start school until 10 or 10:30. Before lunch we do our calendar activities, memory work, some reading aloud and then either history, science or geography. I try to get math and spelling done with my oldest but it doesn't always happen. After lunch we do all the rest. My kids just seem to focus a lot better after they have had most of the morning to play. I am beginning to really appreciate the flexibilty that homeschooling offers! :001_smile:

I love the flexibility too! My kids get up at the crack of dawn but we usually don't get around to school until later. They play the best in the morning so I take advantage of that and either get something done or sit and enjoy my coffee. :)

I am not a morning person by nature at all, but because we had planned to start afternoon activities around 1:00 or so I needed to get all my teaching in in the morning and attempted a schedule where I got up at 5:00 and we started at 8:00 with about 2 hours of independent work in the afternoons. And for a few weeks I was doing very well with it, actually, as we tried to finish up last years work after a move to another state. It was easier for me to get up at 5 than 6 or 6:30 it seemed.

Then I got pregnant and I had a much harder time to getting up that early. Then after that my son was diagnosed with cancer and everything went haywire for about a month. So now we are back to a regular schedule but I needed to move it up a bit. So now I get up at 6:30 and they get up at 7:00 and we just stay up later now and work long into the afternoon because we do chores in the morning to keep the house safe and decently clean for him and in order in case of emergency. So we don't actually start school until 9:30 and we aren't done completely until 6:30 sometimes or even later if we had some afternoon delay (like when my son is too tired or not feeling well or my daughter has a therapy session for her learning disability). We cut out all of our afternoon activities except for her therapy two days a week and so we don't have to figure that into our day.

Next year we'll think about moving things to start earlier if we have the ability to add afternoon sports and/or art and/or music lessons back in but for now things are what they are and I am just thankful for the days when we get most of our work done and my son is alive and well :-) To everything there is a season.....

DH finally figured out why we didn't go the PS or any BB route.

Let me tell you it's really hard on weekends because we do have to get up early, but it's a constant rush-out-the-door with DH getting agitated every second. He drives while DD eats breakfast in her car seat, and of course, I have to look presentable, so sometimes mascara gets all over my eye.

It isn't my favorite, but there are seasons where we start late, like 10. The seasons have had to do with pregnancy/baby/toddlers or too many activities in the evening that lead to later bedtimes. Eventually we get back to something I can better live with, starting by 8:30 or 9. I know people who consider that late, though! :lol:

Oh, my people!! I've finally found you!! :-D You don't know how much good it does my heart to know there are others out there just like me! NONE of us are morning people in this house and I have felt guilty about it for the longest time! Just hearing your stories about later, but productive, start times are SO encouraging! I've nothing against morning people, but I am just not wired that way.

We rarely start school before 11 a.m., and are rarely up much before 9:30 a.m. It is reassuring to know that we are doing just fine going with our own flow!

Thanks so much to the original poster for starting this thread!