Menu

Kids not knowing/reading children's books?

This conversation may have moved on, I haven't read it all yet....

Yes, my childran are very familiar with all of those titles/authors, but my grandmother was a librarian by trade :)

So the other day I had to pick up my highschooler & a friend from school. We live in Canada, but this friend also happens to be from an ex-pat family, and our families have very similar educational backgrounds. Anyway, as we're leaving I see a man with ten caps on his head sitting on a chair by the road!!! Oh my goodness, my kids were so excited, and we all start yelling "Caps. Caps for sale. Fifty cents a cap." The young gal that was with us looked so bewildered. Until then, I had just kind of assumed that every kid knows that book.

I loathe Where the Wild Things Are, so haven't read it to my kids.

We have read Make Way for Ducklings.

Never heard of Make Way for Wonder.

I don't care for Where the Wild Things Are, either, but I have read it a few times. It is so famous I thought they should see it.

I read a lot of these books, and I wasn't homeschooled, so I am not of the view that one must be homeschooled to have a great education. (And I do know Hs'ed kids who don't read books, btw.) I read Shel Silverstein as a kid, but find him somewhat irritating.

I think there is not ONE small group of books that kids should read. It would be sad if a kid is familiar with none of the oldies, but I wouldn't judge based on a few books. My kids have forgotten TONS they have read. I don't think Time of Wonder is nearly as well known as his other works. The idea of "Make Way for Wonder" made me laugh.

I don't understand the backlash in this thread.

The OP expressed surprise that other kids hadn't read the same books that her kids did. It was just that--surprise. She didn't say anything hateful.

It's perfectly okay to like a story and wish someone else could have the joy of that story. It doesn't have to be a judgment. Can't we have a discussion, compare our differences, without saying ugly things about the OP?

Have you asked them what they have read? Maybe you could take 5 minutes out of the lesson to have them discuss good books they've read & would recommend to others.

That's a great idea! There are so many wonderful children's books and too many for anyone to read them all. I'm sure the kids have been exposed to good books, but maybe something else resonated with them or maybe their parents preferred a different type of good book.

We have Where the Wild Things Are and Make Way for Ducklings, and some Shel Silverstein but only loved one well enough to re-read it. I've never heard of Time of Wonder. But, those books aren't really my style. I used to read my kids stacks and stacks of picture books and I'm still finding more that I wish I could have shared with them when they were smaller.

It would be lovely for the kids to be able to share their favorites with the class. Maybe you could have them take turns bringing one in to share.

The OP expressed surprise that other kids hadn't read the same books that her kids did. It was just that--surprise. She didn't say anything hateful.

It's perfectly okay to like a story and wish someone else could have the joy of that story. It doesn't have to be a judgment. Can't we have a discussion, compare our differences, without saying ugly things about the OP?

:iagree:

My mom exposed us to so much great literature, I guess I took for granted that every child has read the same books.

I think it is the above quoted sentence in OP's first post that might have been misconstrued to mean that children who have not read the books mentioned have not been exposed to great literature.

I still find it surprising that Time of Wonder trumped Blueberries for Sal. I think a lot of people have read Blueberries for Sal and would recognize the title. Time of Wonder sounds a bit generic, or maybe like a Christian romance.

I am not sure I would class Dr Seuss and Shel Silverstein as great literature/poetry.

To me, this thread is just sort of hilarious. I don't think anyone is angry or anything.

Guest submarines

Picture books rock. I never did read them growing up but there is such a wealth of great literature in picture books. Ones that make me cry, laugh, so happy I just smile and smile, beautiful language, beautiful pictures- there is so much beauty out there. Unfortunately what is easiest to find often is quite wretched but with a little looking there is an endless supply of good books that are picture books.

:iagree: I love, love, love picture books.

Guest submarines
... but at turning 8 in a month, I'm afraid her picture book days are mostly behind us.

There's a category of picture books written specifically for 8-10 year old. I keep looking for those for my 10 year old--hard to find, but they are there. I think it is such an enriching experience, to read a book where illustrations are just as important as the text.

Lately picture books have been a huge hit with all of my children, including the 8 and the 10 year olds and I enjoy them as well.

There's a category of picture books written specifically for 8-10 year old. I keep looking for those for my 10 year old--hard to find, but they are there. I think it is such an enriching experience, to read a book where illustrations are just as important as the text.

Lately picture books have been a huge hit with all of my children, including the 8 and the 10 year olds and I enjoy them as well.

:iagree: I can't imagine ever stopping reading picture books. Art is such a big part of my family's interest that there will always be plenty of picture book love here.

For your 10 year old---I just want to say that there are tons of books in the "picture book" format that you may love. Any of Patricia Polacco's books. I'd recommend Pink and Say.

Check your folk study area of your library. There are a ton of beautiful Grimm or Hans Christian Anderson stories illustrated and told with longer text. As well as myths and legends. Demi comes to mind. African folktales by McDermott. Illustrated poetry books are great as well.

How Many Spots Does A Leopard have by Julius Lester is always my ds's response if asked about his favorite book. There's also illustrated versions of Just So Stories.

I imagine even a 10 year old would like Peter Sis--People, Noah's Ark, Starry Messenger.

Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins is gorgeous.

Animalia is an ABC book but gorgeous enough that my older ds appreciates it.

Books illustrated by Jerry Pinkey may interest an older child.

Books by Bill Peet are sort of hilarious.

The Book That Jack Built or The Stinky Cheese Man as well as Math Curse or Science Verse could also be loved at that age. Even 10 year olds can talk about the values taught in some of Dr Seuss' bigger books.

We read Polar Express and a big illustrated Night Before Christmas (Christian Birmingham) every year.

So---yes there are books in this format that the older child can love. People can put their noses in the air all they want, :tongue_smilie: but I will not ever stop exposing my children to these beautiful stories and artwork and learning about these wonderful authors.

Are these what you have in mind?

Weslandia

The Raft

The Gardener

All faves and keepsake books around here.

We just love all sorts of books here. Some of our best memories are around books (even though my kids forgot some of them).

I only heard of Make Way for Ducklings when I married into a family that had read it. Never read the others.

As a kid, I devoured Suess, Bobbsey Twins, Trixie Belden mysteries, Ingalls Wilder, Sherlock Holmes...then went straight into Tolkien, Twain, Dickens....and never looked back.

Never read Little Women until I had girls of my own and got it as a gift.

There are so many books in the world - I can not see there being any list of expected classics.

Edited by JFSinIL

That is so funny! :lol:

And so true.

We read so many great kids' books, but my kids don't remember them all. From time to time something will come up and a kid will say "how come we never read (or did) that?" And it's something we read or did; they just forgot.

Never understood the appeal of Shel Silverstein or Maurice Sendak, myself, so I didn't read those to my kids. But then I've never come across anyone who read The Seven Silly Eaters or Fireman Small, two favorites of ours.

We LOVE The Seven Silly Eaters! Wore out our copy! I give it as a gift to new moms now, too! :-)

The Napping House is another good one!