Menu

AP Biology "Biozone"

My brother is an AP/Honors Bio teacher, and he recommends these books highly. He uses them as supplements in his classes.

The different books are just aligned with the expectations of different courses of study - AP will have what's expected for the AP test, IB will be aligned with what's in the International Baccalaureate's course of study; I think they also have O levels or something for countries that have a UK-style course of study? My guess is "Senior Biology" is something aligned with Australia or NZ.

I think the books are out of NZ, but sold internationally, so you can pick the books that align with what your country's expectations are.

I do not think they are meant as a standalone curriculum, but to be used for test preparation or targeted review.

The modular books are excellent. Just excellent. The text is short and to the point, the graphs/diagrams/examples are well chosen and designed, and the questions are not just regurgitation but promote critical thinking. We have used the Evolution book and it was excellent (my field is Evolutionary Ecology so my expectations were very high).

Ruth in NZ

The modular books are excellent. Just excellent. The text is short and to the point, the graphs/diagrams/examples are well chosen and designed, and the questions are not just regurgitation but promote critical thinking. We have used the Evolution book and it was excellent (my field is Evolutionary Ecology so my expectations were very high).

Ruth in NZ

I hadn't seen the modular books until now. Are they middle school level?

Dana

I hadn't seen the modular books until now. Are they middle school level?

They are high school level. But can be used with advanced middle schoolers. And they are cheap enough (about $12) that you could even try one, and if it was too difficult, not feel badly about either doing only half of the book, or putting it on the shelf for a few years.

Biozone prints everything in black and white to keep costs down. This also allows them to update annually. They are constantly putting in new material, and don't need to put out a new edition because they only print in small batches. That said, their newly updated Environmental Science book is twice the size, so it is considered a new edition.

I used their Evolution book to teach my son *how* to answer "short answer" type questions. We worked together to understand what the question was asking and how to word our response in a short way. Then, we would compare our answers to the very comprehensive "model answers." Excellent process to go through.

I love them. (plus they are based in NZ)

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma