Menu

thrid grade "language arts"

hisleading

OK...what does your third graders "language arts" look like?

Reading?

Writing?

Grammer?

Spelling?

All of the above?

Specifically. how do you work on grammer and writing? I can not order any new curriculum right now, as I am just now realizing that we are lacking in the language arts areas (especially grammer and writing)...so, what do I need to add in and how?

Also, if you dont mind my asking....does your third grader know multiplication yet?

My 3rd grader is in virtual academy. He is doing

Reading

Writing

Grammar

Spelling

Vocabulary

Literature

Free vocabulary http://www.wordlywise3000.com/ (click on student, than word list)

Free grammar revision http://www.sadlier-oxford.com/grammar/games.cfm?sp=family&level=Green

Free multiplication drill https://www.xtramath.org/home

The LA I picked this year was a total fail for us (MCT) so I'm in the middle of re-vamping it. Some of it we've already started, some of it I've just ordered and I'm waiting on and some I'm still saving up for.

Writing: WWE1 (currently doing, I started with level 1 because he has dysgraphia and his writing skills & stamina are way behind)

Grammar: FLL3 - we haven't started this yet but it's in the mail

Spelling: LoE - haven't even ordered yet but I'm using the kindy program for my 5 yr old and my 3rd grader loves it and has actually learned a lot just from dd's curriculum. His spelling is actually pretty good already though.

Reading: I pick books where he reads a chapter to himself and then I read outloud, then we discuss it. Right now he's reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Next we're doing Mary Poppins (read an excerpt of it in WWE1 & got interested). Before Alice we did Harry Potter.

Oh and he's already done multiplication. We use MUS and he's in the delta level doing division, however he's pretty mathy and he goes though 1.5-2 levels of MUS per year so he's ahead math-wise. If he were on track he'd be doing multiplication this year.

Reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, literature, and spelling are all done here. When Ariel was doing third grade work, we used:

Galore Park's Junior English 2 (grammar, vocabulary, dictionary skills, some reading and writing)

Writing with Ease (writing/composition)

All About Spelling - she needed extra spelling help. Galore Park covers some spelling, but it wasn't enough for DD. A natural speller wouldn't need this.

various books both for her to read and more advanced books & audio books for her to listen to

I really liked the combo of GP and WWE. They worked on different skills, but were very thorough and were both "open and go". We switched from Galore Park this year because I got lured by all the posts into trying MCT Island. It's going well so far, but if it doesn't work out, we will go back to GP.

Ariel does know multiplication, but she is a bit ahead. She's more than halfway through her second third grade math curriculum. (I wasn't happy with the lack of retention in her previous program, so we're buzzing through CLE 300 before starting the fourth grade level.)

Mine are slightly young 3rd graders. We loosely follow Bravewriter. Here's what we do:

* Daily reading time

* Required reading list - one chapter book per month

* Reading across the curriculum

* Writing project once a month

* Once a week we do: copywork/dictation, written narration, poetry tea, freewriting

* Simple grammar workbook - we do a page or two here and there

In addition, one of my ds is doing special lessons for spelling. We're trying to figure out what to do. We had been doing Spelling Plus, but it wasn't doing much for either of them (one can spell, one cannot).

ETA: Oh yeah, multiplication. Yes. They're doing different programs. Both know basic multiplication. Neither has their basic facts memorized yet. We've had to pause going into division much until they become more fluent with the multiplication facts.

Reading?

Writing?

Grammer?

Spelling?

All of the above?

Specifically. how do you work on grammer and writing? I can not order any new curriculum right now, as I am just now realizing that we are lacking in the language arts areas (especially grammer and writing)...so, what do I need to add in and how?

Also, if you dont mind my asking....does your third grader know multiplication yet?

For grammar and writing we use Rod & Staff English 3. It is very cheap but very solid.

Reading: I just hand my dd8 a book on her level and require that she reads it for a certain amount of time each day.

Spelling: we use Spell to Write and Read.

Multiplication: she is just beginning multiplication in her math book, so no, she doesn't know very many of her multiplication facts yet. We use Math Mammoth.

Reading?

Writing?

Grammer?

Spelling?

All of the above?

My third graders did grammar, writing, spelling, and reading/literature. I purchased First Language Lessons for the grammar and Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure, for spelling obviously. The latter is very inexpensive, and FLL can be made cheaper by buying the ebook version, or just getting the TE and having them read out of it with you. If you just get the level 3 TE you'll have to write out the diagrams by hand, which isn't a big deal.

For writing I did my own thing using just the explanations in TWTM. If you can get the hardback Writing With Ease text (library?), it outlines more thoroughly how to do grammar stage writing.

Beyond learning how to read I don't use reading curriculum. We read lots of great books and talk about them. Each DC has a particular shelf stocked with only pre-screened by mom literature for them to choose from for reading time. (They also read whatever they want on the side.)

Of my four students, the first two weren't capable of multiplication in third grade, the third one was doing multiple digit multiplication problems and long division by the end of third grade, and the fourth one is doing multiplication this year as a second grader. Half and half. :001_smile:

First time homeschooler here, so take with a grain or 12 of salt.

My 3rd grader does:

IEW's Phonetic Zoo B for spelling (4 days/wk)

IEW's TWSS using Aesop and books we're reading for other subjects as the source material for writing (3-4 days/wk)

HWT Cursive (2 days/wk)

Poetry: the Core Knowledge curriculum's list of poems to memorize -- we're doing one a month or so, working a couple days a week

I assign fiction for him to read, usually a chapter a day of a Newbery award winning novel. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth and other times he reads two weeks' worth in half the time.

We aren't doing grammar right now. He did lots in his private school last year and pretty much can do all the "What Your Third Grader Should Know" grammar already so I decided to wait until 2nd semester-ish or next year before I bother.

He did Saxon 3 last year which briefly went over all the mult. facts, then he did Xtramath over the summer and was working on them then. The math program we're doing now is will be starting multiplication next week and I've been having him go over the x3, x4, and x5 facts. He can do all the x1, x2, and x10 and most of x3, x4, and x5 now, but is pretty fuzzy on x6, x7, x8, and x9. I expect him to know them by the time the year is done.

Evan-Moor Building Spelling Skills, Evan-Moor Daily Handwriting (cursive), FLL 3, WWE 2 (2/3 finished, will move onto 3 when done), literature to go along with our history (SOTW 2).

She is a little 'ahead' of grade level in math. She spent the summer drilling multiplication facts, so she has about 95% mastery. She is just learning multiple-digit multiplication (at the end of Math Mammoth 3B).

Hope that helps.

For 3rd we did AAS2, oral narration and summarizing, daily Bible reading, lots of free reading after finishing the SL readers for 3rd during the first few months of school, JOH Cursive (just finished this actually), some random punctuation with a sentence editing app.

In retrospect, I think CLE LA would have been a great add-in for writing/grammar since we didn't do much of that at all. It was a crazy year though, we moved twice! :)

My 3rd grader is using Growing with Grammar (we need to finish The Sentence Family....I keep forgetting), Winning with Writing, AAS, LoE (for additional spelling and cursive). For reading she is using Zoom and reading lots on her own. She knows simple multiplication, but hasn't done much of it yet.

Since you can't order anything, maybe you could look at KISS grammar (free online) and something like Junior Writer (not sure if it's an actual writing curriculum...but it will get them writing a little...it's free).

Writing: WWE and starting SWI-A after Christmas

Grammar: We read through The Sentence Family at the end of 2nd and I choose a few sentences every day to have dd find all the parts of speech in them. Toward the end of 2nd I wanted grammar to be more organic, so we quickly learned all the parts of speech, then reviewed and talked about those by using real sentences from books dd was reading, read alouds, WWE sentences, etc. She has learned and retained grammar better doing it this way, then anything else we've tried. We did use the lists given in FLL 1/2 to help with memorizing linking/helping/state of being verbs and prepositions. We will start MCT Island after Christmas.

Spelling: Apples and Pears :001_wub:

Reading: K12's 3rd grade literature (first year we are doing anything "formal" for reading), plus silent reading for 30 minutes (she chooses these books from the library).

Reading?

She is reading books from the SOTW A.G. reading list (these are mostly easy readers about the Nile River and Ancient Egyptians and mummies right now) interspersed w/some chapter books. This year she read an Usborne one about a ballerina, a Magic Treehouse, and she just started The Mouse and the Motorcycle. She reads aloud from our school work and some of these books daily, and silently to herself. (though she is not one to pick up a book out of boredom. I do have to "make her."

Writing?

Rod and Staff penmanship, Copywork from her Apologia Science Journal

History and Science narrations. At this point she still dictates to me, I write down, then she copies. The goal is by the end of the year for her to be doing them herself. But her spelling is not good enough yet.

Occasional pen pal letters and cards.

Rod and Staff comp. lessons (though there are very few until the end of the text in 3rd grade.)

Dictation once or twice a week. For now I still use her spelling words as she is not a strong speller. I want to move into literature and such over the next year.

Grammar?

Rod and Staff

Spelling?

Rod and Staff

Specifically. how do you work on grammer and writing?

She does a pensmanship sheet or a copywork sheet from Apologia 3 to 4 times a week.

1 lesson of R&S Grammar 2 to 3 times a week.

Spelling workbook 2 times a week, 1 day she makes the words with word tiles and then copies them twice and has dictation with them. 4th day is a "pretest." If it doesn't go well, we copy them and work with them some more and try again the next day. I move frequently missed ones to the next week and keep them in the rotation.

3 days a week a week she does some writing for history or science.

Reading from books, daily.

I can not order any new curriculum right now, as I am just now realizing that we are lacking in the language arts areas (especially grammer and writing)...so, what do I need to add in and how?

We just started multiplication w/R&S 3rd grade math last week. So far she has been working on the 1's and 2's. She seemed to take to it pretty well. And she will work on it the rest of the year.

I'm going against the grain here but my 3rd grader only uses LLATL Yellow. It covers most of what we need but I also add in extra reading and we work on dictionary skills and library skills independently. I think language arts should be enjoyed through good books.

My 3rd grader is still in her 2nd grade math book. We're taking it slow so that I don't overwhelm her. She's like me and shuts down easily when the pace is too fast. She only knows her x2, x3 and x4 tables right now.

DS 8 is doing:

Hake Grammar 5 one lesson a day on his own

IEW SWI-A

AAS5 - he is reading this on his own

I don't schedule reading time, but we read a bit every day and there is some reading in most subjects

We were reading MCT together but I love and hate it at the same time and currently I am in the "ditch it" mode.

This is what we're doing for third:

Reading outloud to me: McGuffey 3rd reader (finishing) and starting 4

Writing: Using Paragraph Books 1 and 2 for the first semester, then moving back into WWE 3 or possibly working with brother in CW Aesop B

Grammar: Rod and Staff 3

Spelling: All About Spelling 3 (finishing) and AAS 4

Vocabulary: No formal prog. We have lots of new vocab with AO book choices and we learn it in context with the reading.

Literature: Ambleside Online yr. 3

Handwriting: HWT cursive and printed copywork

We use Rightstart and MathMammoth and he is just learning multiplication (started by learning skip counting). Right now he knows his 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's and 10's. None of the "hard" ones. :001_smile:

Listening along here, I have a 2nd grader who is older- due to b-day and local cutoffs.

Right now he is doing:

spelling- spelling plus +dictation plus

lit- good books- read aloud and required daily silent reading

grammar- none

writing- WWE2

penmanship- Logic of English cursive (tagging along with sister in K Foundations program)

phonics- Webster's Syllabry

for next year I'm thinking

spelling- spelling plus +dictation plus

lit- good books- read aloud and required daily silent reading

grammar- FLL3 or Kiss Grammar or Hake or????

writing- WWE3 +IEW TWSS

penmanship- Logic of English cursive handbook

My third grader does reading/literature. I have a shelf of books that I would like her to read. She's a voracious reader, so I'm constantly adding to it. She is required to write one book report for each season, except summer.

No spelling. It just seemed pointless, as she seems to be a natural speller.

Vocab we use vocabulary connections

Writing we use WWW

Grammar we use GWG

Cursive we use HWT

For language arts we are pretty relaxed at this point. Dd does a lot of reading and writing, but we don't use a lot of formal programs. Dd8 is using:

Reading: She can read anything and reads about 4-6 hrs per day, so I just let her go at it.

Literature: Sonlight Core 3/D - I read aloud to her every morning and make the readers available to her.

Spelling: We are no longer following a formal program as she is a very natural speller. Occasionally, I will point out misspelled words in her writing and explain the correct spelling.

Grammar: We have gone over basic grammar rules as she edits her own writing, but we are waiting to use a formal grammar program until 5th grade.

Handwriting: Dd learned cursive in 1st grade and is now required to do all writing in cursive.

Writing/Composition: Dd is a very advanced, creative writer so I don't find it necessary (or desirable) to use a formal writing program at this point. She has a space of time set aside for writing each morning. She chooses her own writing projects and she uses the writing process to draft and polish them. I give occasional feedback. I do have a checklist of fiction/non-fiction writing projects for her to choose from over the course of the year to ensure that she is writing in a variety of genres.

ETA: Dd8 knows how to do multiplication (conceptually), but hasn't memorized all of the multiplication tables yet. She knows 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 10. She has also learned how to work simple 3-digit multiplication problems. She is currently working through Singapore 3A.

Edited by MinivanMom

We used Cursive First alongside SWR (from the beginning) for handwriting. Here's the rest of our lineup.

Spelling: Spell to Write and Read

Grammar: FLL 4 (3 days per week), supplemented with MCT Grammar Town (4th day)

Vocabulary/Poetry: MCT BL & MoH (along w/rest of MCT on the 4th day)

Writing: Writing With Ease 3 (completing 2nd half, and then we'll begin...) WWW 4 (1st half)

Literature: I keep a stock of books from various reading lists such as VP, etc. and let him choose what he wants to read. He recently read Dangerous Journey, finished Mary Poppins three days ago, picked up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and literally finished it just 5 minutes ago. I think telling him that he could watch the movies when he has finished the books was a great motivator... hehehe. He also finished the last chapter of Black Ships before Troy last night, but that was part of his assigned reading for history (2-ish chapters per day, 5 days per week).

ETA... Latin: Latin for Children A (Although it's in my signature, I agree with bpskowski that it's good to mention this.)

We've used RightStart A, B, C, D, and are currently working our way through Level E. He knows multiplication, though admittedly he may still skip count on some of the "hard" ones from time to time. ;)

You may be able to find The Writing Road to Reading at your local library, and KISS (as a pp mentioned) would be a good resource for grammar. Writing narrations, dictation, copywork, etc... could be done across other subjects such as literature, history, science, etc.

Edited by CMama

My 3rd grader does:

Reading/Literature: We read together alternating pages

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

Writing: NaNoWriMo workbook, Wordsmith Apprentice, Killgallon

Handwriting: Startwrite worksheets

Vocabulary: Doodle Definitions

Grammar: Cozy Grammar, Cozy Punctuation

I also include typing as part of our language arts time. My ds spends about 1.5 hours 4x per week on this list. We do do everything everyday or every week.

DS8 does:

Reading: He reads a lot on his own. I have a basket with pre-selected literature. He has to read from those 30 mins 3X a week. Often, he'll end up reading them on his own time. He picks out fiction and non fiction from the library. I order from ILL system books from SOTW AG to line up with history chapters. Plus, we are doing MCT's literature series. (These he has to read aloud.)

Writing: We are doing WWE3 but, I think I'm going to start using the formula of narration and dictation for his history. The dictations out of context in WW3 are just received with lots of groans. I am also using Games for Writing with him and his sisters to help relax him into writing. He's "pencil phobic."

He's also working his way through the dance mat typing website and learning cursive.

Grammar: We are almost done with FFL3. He just finished MCT's grammar island and started sentence island. He does the sentences in practice island.

Vocabulary: We are doing MCT's building language. Also, there is a lot of vocabulary in MP's Greek Myths guide.

Spelling: He's in AAS3.

Latin: I bring this in because, he picks up and discusses the grammar and how it relates to english. He's only started GSWL this year but it's one of his favorite subjects. (He did Song School Latin in 1st but it was just vocabulary.)

Memorization: He memorizes poems. I started out with the ones in FLL but then started selecting my own that would be more appealing to him. Right now he's memorizing Jabberwocky. He loves trying to figure out what the nonsense words mean by figuring out their parts of speech.

One thing that I think helped tremendously for his love of stories and language was listening to audio stories. He was a late reader but he could sit for hours listening to CDs. (I could never read aloud enough to satisfy his desire.) Now that he's reading, he devours books.

As for multiplication, he's about 1/2 a year behind. But, in Singapore 2B, they've introduced multiplication. He just watched TimesTales last week and has his multiplication facts memorized. It's amazing! But it just further proves that he's a language/story guy. Memorizing plain numbers forget it. He can't even get our phone number memorized.

English (Phonics/Spelling/Grammar): Logic of English Essentials (hoping to use the advanced version coming out later with my 2nd grader next year) with a focus on word roots

Writing: Classically Cursive for copywork, IEW Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales (level A) for composition, letter writing, and a presentation at CC once a week to put together; next year maybe Pre-Scripts from CC

Reading: McGuffey Third Eclectic Reader for oral reading, Veritas Press literature guides for 3rd grade and narrations for their other books without a guide

I think eventually Hake Grammar and Writing is going to extend their curriculum down to lower grades and if they come out with a 3rd grade book I would definitely consider it. I may even use the 4th grade book in 3rd grade as I use Saxon Phonics and Saxon Math one year ahead in the earlier grades.

We also do CC's English grammar memory work.

Homeschool Curriculum Company has a VERY cheap (like less than $5) curriculum you can print out with a taste of diagramming in it. You might look into that one. And they have memory work regarding literature terms that I am using and love. They also have writing biographies of Scientists in an IEW style that is super cheap, too.

We also do CC's English grammar memory work.

I just have to say, we've often referred back to a few grammar chants/tunes from CC Cycle 2 (as well as Shurley English Q&A flows), however, they aren't exactly all from CC but a member (Mary Bryant) who uploaded the files to CC Connected's filing sharing.

Our favorites are:

Possessive Pronoun Boogie (w/hand motions to help identify pronoun order)

Indefinite Pronouns

FANBOYS (coordinating conjunctions)

My Oh My Possessive Adjectives (w/hand motions...)

Some others:

Pronoun Order (CC's - Amy Joy Tofte)

Interrogative Pronouns (Mary Bryant)

Gerunds (CC's - Amy Joy Tofte)

Check them out if you can!

My 3rd grader is doing:

Sonlight Readers for reading (Core D regular)

FLL 3

WWE 2

Wordly Wise when we can fit it in

She listens to me read Sonlight Read Alouds every day

I also have All About Spelling, which we were pretty good at working with last year- I bought the next level for her this year (3) but I am having trouble finding the time to fit that in.

Memorization- we do a bit of the FLL memory stuff, she is also involved in theater and does a lot of memorizing lines, etc, there.

Edited by hsmom10

You can see what we're using in my siggy. :). For reading I assign books and she's doing CLE Reading. For LA, we use CLE LA. For writing, we use a bit of my own creations, Bravewriter, and CLE. Spelling is covered in CLE.

And yes, she knows most of her multiplication tables. We're working on the last ones now. Her PS friends are either just starting or haven't yet started.

We are doing:

15 minutes read ou tloud to Mama (daily)

30 minutes silent reading (daily-book of choice)

All About Spelling (daily)

Writing With Ease (every other day)

Essentials in Writing (every other day)

First Language Lessons (3X a week)

Journal or letter writing (3X a week)

Poetry/Scripture Memorization (daily)

CHC cursive (2X a week)

Prima Latina copywork (cursive- 1X a week)

Not sure if Latin counts, but also doing Prima Latina (daily)

All a great fit for us

Edited to add: He knows multiplication but doesn't have all the facts memorized

Edited by Mama2two

English: Rod and Staff English 3

Spelling: Rod and Staff Spelling 3 along with Spelling City

Reading: CLE Reading 2

Writing: WWE 1 (getting ready to start level 2)

Penmanship: Abeka cursive

Multiplication? No, she has not mastered her multiplication facts yet.

multiplication? not yet. it is introduced in his curriculum this year ...just later on.

for LA, he uses:

handwriting - handwriting without tears cursive

reading - book of his choice read silently, a chapter a day (but he often reads much more). currently he is reading the "fudge" series by judy blume. he also reads from his bible daily. additionally, i read to him a lot still for history, science, and we are reading through a list of good fiction books.

grammar - bju english

writing - we are on hiatus from bju & currently i have him just writing a paragraph a day about any random object or subject. as he masters this, we'll increase the expectations. his handwriting is lacking, so he types this up. i'm hoping by the end of the year to have him writing in cursive comfortably and writing 2 well formed paragraphs.

i also have comprehension books, but i'm not using them right now. maybe we will add them in later - i'm not sure if they matter or just waste his time. he also needs to finish the last part of his hooked on phonics master reader, but i'm going to wait until after the holidays. there just isn't enough time in our days it seems.

i think that's it.

Ds is using:

WWE3 (writing/composition)

MCT (for grammar, but we do love the writing portions)

HWOT cursive

Spelling Workout (level E)- not very expensive and nice for rule reinforcement

Reading- narrations and some TOG worksheets

I just wanted to say that I have found that doing a foreign language (Greek) has really helped to reinforce English. It is great for both my 3rd and 2nd grade student.

As for multiplication, Ds can finish about 30 problems correctly (not mixed practice, just all 6-9s, etc.) in about 2 1/2 minutes. I honestly don't know if that is appropriate or not. I'm still doing some research on that. I get worksheets from mathdrills.com (it's free!).

For third grade, my son does:

Literature: Sonlight Core D Advanced Readers - just read and maybe casually discuss. No literary analysis or in depth anything. These readers tie into history.

Writing: IEW SWI-A, plus other stuff that insides copywork and narration (only one at a time though - like this week we didn't do IEW, so he did a written narration).

Spelling: R&S Spelling, finishing up 3 next month and moving into 4.

Grammar: KISS alternated with R&S4, picking and choosing. We're also doing Latin, so I don't do grammar on Latin days.

For fun, if we get to them, we have MCT vocab and poetry, but we haven't done them in several weeks now, and I don't see them as essential.

If you can't buy anything, I'd recommend Grammarland to learn the parts of speech, then maybe work through KISS. Both are free. Use copywork, dictation, and narration across subjects for writing. Use the library for literature. Spelling can be done with free resources or something you come up with from misspelled words in writing. My recommendation would differ based on what kind of speller you have - struggling, natural, or inbetween?

For your math question, my son had multiplication facts memorized about halfway through 4th grade math. I would expect a 3rd grader to be learning multiplication facts during the year, but not necessarily have them all memorized yet. Do you have a math curriculum?

ETA: Forgot handwriting! He's learning cursive via Pentime 2 (second half).

Edited by boscopup