Menu

Odd legal situation?

I've been joint with another relative on some accounts in another state, and have been pushing for months to get everything separated. I'm down to one last account, and it will separate by the end of this month. I suspect that this relatives finances are a disaster, and that they haven't been filing their tax returns either.

Today the bank called to verify my relative's place of employment. They had the name of the company, address, and their title. All information that is openly out on Google, by the way. During the conversation the bank employee asked, "Do you know if they are truly still employed there?' Far as I know. When I asked why, they said that they couldn't say.

Now why would they do that? They've never asked me that sort of thing in this entire process, not once. The fact that they were so vague about it got me thinking.

Wage garnishment? Information for a process server? Information for the IRS?

It can't be good.

Edited by GVA

Today the bank called to verify my relative's place of employment. They had the name of the company, address, and their title. All information that is openly out on Google, by the way. During the conversation the bank employee asked, "Do you know if they are truly still employed there?' Far as I know. When I asked why, they said that they couldn't say.

I am very cautious when bank calls because it is usually from some call centre. So I would rather get their number and verify with my nearby bank branch that it is legit before answering.

As to the employment question, it could be that your relative has a direct deposit of pay checks to the bank. If they change jobs or change the bank the pay checks go into, the bank might be "curious" what happen.

I am very cautious when bank calls because it is usually from some call centre. So I would rather get their number and verify with my nearby bank branch that it is legit before answering.

As to the employment question, it could be that your relative has a direct deposit of pay checks to the bank. If they change jobs or change the bank the pay checks go into, the bank might be "curious" what happen.

I have been dealing with this same employee for months on these accounts, trying to get them closed down and divided. They've been sending me paperwork and calling for awhile.

My relative does not have their primary accounts with this bank. They live in another state and bank elsewhere for everyday financial affairs.

Yes, it can't be good. Just wondering...

Edited by GVA

It could be a reference for a loan application?

The person I've been dealing with on these accounts is also the one who called. They are in the accounts department, not the loan department.

They asked twice whether I knew for sure if the relative is still working. That gave me pause too.