Menu

So my ds 16, who admitted to being depressed, saw dr today.

I went in first and gave some background information then he went in alone. The result was a prescription, Wellbutrin, and a counseling referral. That appointment is Monday.

Now I'm wrestling with the idea of the anti-depressants. There are so many negative experiences I am almost afraid of them.

Anybody had experience with anti-depressants for their teens they would like to share with me?

My dd was 15 1/2 last summer when she was diagnosed with depression. (We immediately took her to a psychiatrist after she confessed to me that she had been cutting herself). She was placed on Prozac which has helped IMMENSELY. I feel like I have my bubbly daughter back. Your child's physician may need to tweak the dosage or change the medication, depending on the kind of response your child has to it, but the right medication makes a world of difference.

I'm so sorry you're going through the same agony I was last year, but you've started the process and your son is getting help. Good for you! Please feel free to PM me if you have any "deeper" questions. :D

My dd was 15 1/2 last summer when she was diagnosed with depression. (We immediately took her to a psychiatrist after she confessed to me that she had been cutting herself). She was placed on Prozac which has helped IMMENSELY. I feel like I have my bubbly daughter back. Your child's physician may need to tweak the dosage or change the medication, depending on the kind of response your child has to it, but the right medication makes a world of difference.

I'm so sorry you're going through the same agony I was last year, but you've started the process and your son is getting help. Good for you! Please feel free to PM me if you have any "deeper" questions. :D

Thanks. It's unknown territory for us for sure. I'm very happy he disclosed his depression to us.

Antidepressants save lives.

:iagree: Not only that, they help people get to the point where they can think clearly enough to actively participate in their own recovery through counseling, eating right & getting exercise. Yes, there are side effects, but a good psychiatrist will work with the patient to find the med that maximizes results and minimizes side effects.

Agreeing with the other posters. And, you can't go by anyone elses experiences. My daughter, who was 15 at the time, was on Prozac and it worked well for her. I took it and it was awful. Most people can take celexa, I can't. Believe it or not, many Psych Dr's do not prescribe the older trycyclic meds(like Amitriptiline), but that is what helped me the most, along with Tranxene(for anxiety). Both have been around since the 1950's. But because there are so many new meds with supposedly less side effects, those drugs are usually used to treat off label issues. Both of those meds work wonders for me, and I have had not had one side effect. Unlike the newer ones.

Please be careful with Wellbutrin. The higher the dose, the riskier it becomes for seizures. It can also make you very jumpy, which is why it is good for depression, but not for anxiety.

This might be the perfect med for your child. But you should give it 6 weeks to see if there is any change. Unless of course, it really is not agreeing with him.

Therapy is what is going to help the most.

Best wishes and:grouphug:

Has he had a complete physical with thorough bloodwork to rule out physical causes of depression? I've known a few people who were treated for depression and bi-polar whose symptoms were actually being caused by other factors (thyroid, migraine meds). Just something to think about if that hasn't been done.

Anybody had experience with anti-depressants for their teens they would like to share with me?

No experience with teens, but I take an SSRI and it is enormously helpful.

If your ds isn't seeing a psychiatrist, I would highly recommend it. They are much more familiar with the medications and their side effects than a family or pediatric doc.

I was treated by my primary care doctor with psych meds and ended up having all sorts of problems. Eventually I saw a psychiatrist who got it all straightened out, and it turns out that my family doctor was just sort of randomly picking drugs. She was picking exactly the wrong things, based upon my side effects, but she didn't know enough about their mechanism to know that. I won't ever have my primary care doc prescribe psych meds again.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

You really should probably try it! my son started on SSRIs when he was 9. Prozac helped him sleep but didnt stop the panic attacks, but celexxa was great. he eventually added other meds

my daughter, otoh, was depressed when she was 16. They tried 2 SSRIs and both of them made her manic on day 2! We stopped immediately both times.

The SSRI was easy to stop for my daughter - she felt better in a couple of days. My teen son has been on them longer, and he is bipolar, so even forgetting meds for a day shows up a lot. But we do what is best for each kid, and there is really only one way to figure it out! My son is stable on meds, and my daughter has learned to cope with her feelings without them.

will make the mania worse...mood stabilizers are needed instead. We discovered this when my hubby was on Wellbutrin for depression... his father was on anti depres. meds when he committed suicide... now most Dr. know the link between those meds and bipolar disease. It is a different monster.

Praying for you. It is tough. I chose not to medicate my dd, who is now 19. She does take natural supplements and tries to have a healthy diet. For the most part, she is doing a lot better than when she was 13-16 and I thought I would never see her happy again.

Not a teen with depression, but I went years trying to avoid drugs because of the horrible stories you hear about them. I'm bipolar, and antidepressants and mood stabilizers have changed my life. Counseling is helpful, but the drugs help me to be in a place where the counseling is more effective.

The important thing is that your son know not to discontinue them suddenly. The side effects from going cold turkey can be intense.

You really should probably try it! my son started on SSRIs when he was 9. Prozac helped him sleep but didnt stop the panic attacks, but celexxa was great. he eventually added other meds.

:iagree:I am mildly bipolar and anti-depressants alone are horrible for me because of that--send me into a manic state. But when I'm on an appropriate medicine course for my particular condition (add that mood stabilizer on top of the anti-depressant), I felt MUCH much better. If your son is dealing with standard depression the proper anti-depressant should help a lot!

Another way to look at it is this way - what if your son had Diabetes and was prescribed Metformin to help stabilize his blood sugars? Would to question doing it, or would go go ahead and give him the medication and work on lifestyle changes to help manage the Diabetes?

For my own child I have chosen to try medications in combinations with therapies. The medications haven't worked out, but the therapies have. I'd rather have tried everything rather than just some things.

I am not a doctor or an expert, BUT, I have done a fair amount of reading on a number of anti-depressants in the past. Wellbutrin is a pretty big heavy-hitter, and is typically used by those dealing with bi-polar issues. It is NOT typically the front-line choice for a teen diagnosed with depression. While Wellbutrin is not an MAOI (a class of more heavy-duty anti-depressants) I would definitely ask what in your teen is suggesting to the doctor to go with a "big gun" that is not a usual choice for those under age 24. Wellbutrin can have some pretty big side effects. In addition, Wellbutrin should NOT be stopped "cold turkey" -- same with Paxil (an SSRI). You can have very nasty withdrawal symptoms from either of these without weaning off of them on a special schedule and reduction of amount.

SSRI class of medications are easier on the system, and usually have fewer negative side effects, and, with the exception of Paxil, you don't have to have as many worries about missing a dose or

I would ask about Zoloft, which is an SSRI, is much gentler, is out of the system after 24 hours, and if a dose is missed there are no nasty side effects. Prozac would be another possibility.

Again, definitely ask why Wellbutrin, and not a gentler SSRI class anti-depressant? If it has to do with what meds are available to the dr. or the health plan, that is NOT a good enough reason to go with Wellbutrin!! In adults, yes, Wellbutrin has less of an effect in causing sleepiness and loss of libido than SSRIs. But Wellbutrin is NOT the first-line choice for teens unless the dr. can show good reason that you are looking at bi-polar or some other more serious form of depression; the FDA "recommends that caution should be exercised when treating... pediatric patients, adolescents and young adults [with Wellbutrin] due to the increased risk of suicidal ideation."

Not at ALL trying to scare you away from anti-depressants -- they are a wonderful bridge to help people from falling into those terrible "black holes" of depression. Just make sure the RIGHT anti-depressant is being prescribed for YOUR DS. Get a second opinion from a psychiatrist or physician who specializes in treating TEENS and depression FIRST so YOU will be comfortable with the meds prescribed. The doctor should be able to talk you through how it works, why it is the best choice for YOUR DS, what the side effects are, and what interactions (foods or other medicines) to avoid.

Very important: Has the dr. eliminated other possible causes of depression? While your DS may need to start an anti-depressant right away to keep him from falling into that "black hole" or to climb up out of it, the meds may only help the symptom, and what you want is get to the root and treat that, so DS can get off the anti-depressants as soon as possible:

- Check thyroid levels.

- Check absorption of the B vitamins (some people don't absorb these well and either need a sub-lingual variety, or even an injection, which works wonders for those with a deficiency!)

- Consider possible food allergies that trigger depression. Start with food dyes, dairy, wheat, corn, and gluten.

- Remove processed sugar from the diet, especially sodas.

Other things to slowly work towards:

- Relaxation Techniques: 2-3 times a day, 3-5 minutes of relaxation techniques, stress relief techniques, deep breathing; even just sitting up straight in the chair and taking in a long slow deep breath, hold it to the count of 7 while tensing all muscles, and then let it out slowly and relax all muscles

- Good Sleep: help sleep levels by cutting off all screens (computer, TV, i-pad, etc.) by 8pm, so the brain has time to stop being stimulated by the screen re-draws and he can fall asleep and get good rest

- Regular Exercise: start working towards regular aerobic workout -- best if you can eventually work up to 4x/week, 40-minutes a session -- running and sleeping laps are especially good as they incorporate deep regular breathing

- Removal of Stress Factors

While using an anti-depressant:

- do NOT also use natural remedies such as 5-HTP, Melatonin, or St. John's Root, as you can get very nasty interactions from over-production of seratonin

- do NOT take a second anti-depressant med simultanously

- do NOT also be taking beta blockers, or anti-anxiety meds such as Xanax

- do NOT take dextromethorphan (cough suppressant), sympathomimetic drugs like pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) or methylene blue dye, which can also cause over-production of seratonin

BEST wishes for a quick recovery for your DS! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I am not a doctor or an expert, BUT, I have done a fair amount of reading on a number of anti-depressants in the past. Wellbutrin is a pretty big heavy-hitter, and is typically used by those dealing with bi-polar issues. It is NOT typically the front-line choice for a teen diagnosed with depression. While Wellbutrin is not an MAOI (a class of more heavy-duty anti-depressants) I would definitely ask what in your teen is suggesting to the doctor to go with a "big gun" that is not a usual choice for those under age 24. Wellbutrin can have some pretty big side effects. In addition, Wellbutrin should NOT be stopped "cold turkey" -- same with Paxil (an SSRI). You can have very nasty withdrawal symptoms from either of these without weaning off of them on a special schedule and reduction of amount.

SSRI class of medications are easier on the system, and usually have fewer negative side effects, and, with the exception of Paxil, you don't have to have as many worries about missing a dose or

I would ask about Zoloft, which is an SSRI, is much gentler, is out of the system after 24 hours, and if a dose is missed there are no nasty side effects. Prozac would be another possibility.

Again, definitely ask why Wellbutrin, and not a gentler SSRI class anti-depressant? If it has to do with what meds are available to the dr. or the health plan, that is NOT a good enough reason to go with Wellbutrin!! In adults, yes, Wellbutrin has less of an effect in causing sleepiness and loss of libido than SSRIs. But Wellbutrin is NOT the first-line choice for teens unless the dr. can show good reason that you are looking at bi-polar or some other more serious form of depression; the FDA "recommends that caution should be exercised when treating... pediatric patients, adolescents and young adults [with Wellbutrin] due to the increased risk of suicidal ideation."

Not at ALL trying to scare you away from anti-depressants -- they are a wonderful bridge to help people from falling into those terrible "black holes" of depression. Just make sure the RIGHT anti-depressant is being prescribed for YOUR DS. Get a second opinion from a psychiatrist or physician who specializes in treating TEENS and depression FIRST so YOU will be comfortable with the meds prescribed. The doctor should be able to talk you through how it works, why it is the best choice for YOUR DS, what the side effects are, and what interactions (foods or other medicines) to avoid.

Very important: Has the dr. eliminated other possible causes of depression? While your DS may need to start an anti-depressant right away to keep him from falling into that "black hole" or to climb up out of it, the meds may only help the symptom, and what you want is get to the root and treat that, so DS can get off the anti-depressants as soon as possible:

- Check thyroid levels.

- Check absorption of the B vitamins (some people don't absorb these well and either need a sub-lingual variety, or even an injection, which works wonders for those with a deficiency!)

- Consider possible food allergies that trigger depression. Start with food dyes, dairy, wheat, corn, and gluten.

- Remove processed sugar from the diet, especially sodas.

Other things to slowly work towards:

- Relaxation Techniques: 2-3 times a day, 3-5 minutes of relaxation techniques, stress relief techniques, deep breathing; even just sitting up straight in the chair and taking in a long slow deep breath, hold it to the count of 7 while tensing all muscles, and then let it out slowly and relax all muscles

- Good Sleep: help sleep levels by cutting off all screens (computer, TV, i-pad, etc.) by 8pm, so the brain has time to stop being stimulated by the screen re-draws and he can fall asleep and get good rest

- Regular Exercise: start working towards regular aerobic workout -- best if you can eventually work up to 4x/week, 40-minutes a session -- running and sleeping laps are especially good as they incorporate deep regular breathing

- Removal of Stress Factors

While using an anti-depressant:

- do NOT also use natural remedies such as 5-HTP, Melatonin, or St. John's Root, as you can get very nasty interactions from over-production of seratonin

- do NOT take a second anti-depressant med simultanously

- do NOT also be taking beta blockers, or anti-anxiety meds such as Xanax

- do NOT take dextromethorphan (cough suppressant), sympathomimetic drugs like pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) or methylene blue dye, which can also cause over-production of seratonin

BEST wishes for a quick recovery for your DS! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Rose, I am so sorry. Please know that you are not alone in this, even though it can feel that way sometimes. What Lori has written above sums up much of what we have learned in the past four years of working with our daughter's depression and anxiety, which was diagnosed her sophomore year. She is now 20 and doing much better.

We were resistant to medication early on, but have finally come to view the meds as the bridge between what for us are the two key components of healing: consistent and appropriate counseling along with committed self-care.

No one's path through depression and/or anxiety is the same as several posters pointed out. Your job as a parent is to research, ask questions, synthesize information, advocate for your child, be empathetic and hold their hand through it all if they will let you. You also need to know when to get help for yourself or other family members when you feel overwhelmed. Having a depressed teen in the family, especially for an extended period, can change family dynamics.

:grouphug:Sending you thoughts for healing, courage and patience. You will find tremendous support on this board whether you seek answers in a thread or in a pm. My dd has given her permission to share on this board, in part, because of those virtual and actual friends here who shared their stories with her and helped her in those early years to not only not feel so alone, but to see that there really is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Not only that, they help people get to the point where they can think clearly enough to actively participate in their own recovery

This was what I wanted to say - I briefly used antidepressants (6months) as an adult, and it was the 'thinking clearly' bit that really stood out for me. Medication re-framed my thought process. Instead of waking up every single morning thinking 'I just can't', I woke up with objective thoughts. Just being able to see what everyone else sees - 'It's sunny today' - helped immensely. In retrospect I should have stayed on meds a little longer, but they were the catalyst for allowing me to work myself out of depression.

I really hope your son finds his way out soon.

This was what I wanted to say - I briefly used antidepressants (6months) as an adult, and it was the 'thinking clearly' bit that really stood out for me. Medication re-framed my thought process. Instead of waking up every single morning thinking 'I just can't', I woke up with objective thoughts. Just being able to see what everyone else sees - 'It's sunny today' - helped immensely. In retrospect I should have stayed on meds a little longer, but they were the catalyst for allowing me to work myself out of depression.

I really hope your son finds his way out soon.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My personal and professional experience backs this up. Many people with depression can't access or sustain the changes offered in many of the non Rx suggestions.

I *knew* all that when I was depressed. I.couldn't.do.it.

Couldn't. Because my body was ill. I needed appropriate meds to change my body chemistry in order to make and sustain changes.

I wouldn't withold Albuterol, my dd's Enbrel, or allegra waiting for my kids to avoid dander, use physical therapy, or use a neti pot; I am not going avoid depression Rx, either.

My son responded well on Wellbutrin and my dd20 responded to Prozac when she was also 16. My dd20 didn't need it long. Ds16's medication was changed to something that corrected OCD more than depression and he's doing really well with it. We were lucky. None of us had side-effects from these meds. But they sure did what they were supposed to do and that was to free their minds from feeling truly hopeless to a place of hope to climb out of the depressive tunnel. I looked on it as a leg up.

My son responded well on Wellbutrin and my dd20 responded to Prozac when she was also 16. My dd20 didn't need it long. Ds16's medication was changed to something that corrected OCD more than depression and he's doing really well with it. We were lucky. None of us had side-effects from these meds. But they sure did what they were supposed to do and that was to free their minds from feeling truly hopeless to a place of hope to climb out of the depressive tunnel. I looked on it as a leg up.

How old was your son when he started Wellbutrin?

Can anyone point to good trusted resources to help me know if I have a child that needs help? I have a 12 yo who seems to be struggling but I am not sure if it's normal to her personality (which is quite anxious) or part of the hormone poisoning of being 12 (even though I saw a lot of this on a lesser scale before puberty), or something more serious. :confused:

Wellbutrin is not an SSRI; it acts differently. Its effects can be felt more quickly, but it can also cause anxiety particularly when getting use to it. Don't give up if you find it's not the right med for him - an SSRI might work if Wellbutrin doesn't.

My dd was given Wellbutrin by her psychiatrist at the time in steadily increasing doses because she appeared to be getting worse. Unfortunately, it was the Wellbutrin that was exacerbating the problem because the doctor has missed the anxiety part of her diagnosis. Fortunately, our counselor found a wonderful nurse practitioner who was able to wean our daughter off the Wellbutrin and replace it with Celexa.

Again, each person is different, and it is good to know exactly why a doctor is prescribing the Wellbutrin.

Welbutrin is not a "heavy hitter" used mostly for people with bipolar disorder. :confused::confused::confused:

Please do good research in addition to asking for anecdotes here. Info like that given above is detrimental to you not helpful.

I don't know about the "heavy hitter" for bipolar, but I do know that Glaxo SmithKline, the manufacturer of Wellbutrin, states on the product insert that the effects of Wellbutrin have not been studied on children under the age of 18 and it is not approved for use in children under 18. See p. 29

Can anyone point to good trusted resources to help me know if I have a child that needs help? I have a 12 yo who seems to be struggling but I am not sure if it's normal to her personality (which is quite anxious) or part of the hormone poisoning of being 12 (even though I saw a lot of this on a lesser scale before puberty), or something more serious. :confused:

These are materials put out by the American Pediatric Association. A good place to start is with your pediatrician who can work to rule out health issues and who can perform a depression screening. We were fortunate in that my daughter's "go-to" adult outside of our family is a long-time family friend who happens to be a mental health counselor. She was also able to recommend a good counselor who specializes in working with depression and teens.

Wellbutrin saved my depressed young teen's life.

He was deeply depressed--with suicidal thoughts. I had concerns just as you do about my 13 year old taking a drug. A couple of pharmacist friends let me know Wellbutrin is an 'old' drug--been around for a number of years. It's side effects are known and well researched.

It did help my son tremendously. Along with counseling in about a year we had a 'normal' teenage son.

After another year or so 'we' quit taking the drug....this I would change if I could go back. My son did great through high school (homeschooling) but fell into a deep depression during his college years. We had little influence to get him back on them.

During the time your child takes the drug, help him learn other coping skills to deal with depression, as well.

Best wishes for a healthy outcome!

These are materials put out by the American Pediatric Association. A good place to start is with your pediatrician who can work to rule out health issues and who can perform a depression screening. We were fortunate in that my daughter's "go-to" adult outside of our family is a long-time family friend who happens to be a mental health counselor. She was also able to recommend a good counselor who specializes in working with depression and teens.

Thank you Lisa!