Menu

For those who have flown lately...

Backpack count as a carry-on. A ladies handbag, about crossbody size, counts as personal item. We flew international and our backpacks are laptop backpacks. How the airlines count a backpack is airline dependent though. Some are more lenient some are very strict on a full flight.

My impression from frequent flying with Delta is...if it'll fit beneath the seat in front of you it can be considered a personal item. All of the backpacks my men carry will fit.

The garment bag though...might be an issue. There are specific dimensions that have to be adhered to for carry-on size. Most garment bags I've seen exceed those.

Does a backpack count as a "personal item?"

Airlines all have slightly different rules, and it's best to check your airline's web site. They should spell out the size and weight of each allowed item.

I usually have a suitcase that fits in the overhead, and a backpack that fits under the front seat. If the backpack was larger, it would have to be my overhead piece, and so couldn't take both it and the suitcase.

if it'll fit beneath the seat in front of you it can be considered a personal item...The garment bag though...might be an issue. There are specific dimensions that have to be adhered to for carry-on size. Most garment bags I've seen exceed those.

Totally agree.

When we last flew a little over a year ago, you were allowed a carry-on piece of luggage AND a personal item to take onto the plane, no charge.

ONE purse, fanny pack, camera bag, laptop bag, attache or briefcase, shopping bag/gift bag, OR backpack would be the personal item (that could fit under the seat). And ONE smaller suitcase or backpack could be the carry-on (MUST check the airline website for the dimensions of what is allowed size-wise as a carry-on!) -- as it must fit in the overhead.

If your camera bag is smallish, could you put it inside a backpack to have bag space for any other miscellaneous loose items? That's what I did with the small digital camera. Or, could you get a larger, roomier camera bag and use it to stick other loose items in? That's what DH did with the more professional camera gear and lenses -- he managed to get a lot of additional stuff into his camera bag that looks like this one.

Edited by Lori D.

Hum. We have a camera bag that is a backpack. It's small-ish, so I wonder if the airline would consider it a backpack or camera bag. My husband needs to carry-on a garment bag AND this bag. I guess we'll be calling Frontier. :glare:

"Your carry-on bag's dimensions, including handles and wheels, can't exceed 9.5" height + 15.5" width + 24" length, and the bag can't weigh more than 35 pounds. Your carry-on bag must fit underneath the seat or in an enclosed overhead bin. "

"Personal items include:

• Handbag or pocketbook

• Umbrella or walking stick

• Camera or binoculars

• Briefcase or laptop computer case "

quotes copied from http://www.flyfrontier.com/customer-service/travel-support/baggage/carry-on-baggage

Just open to show it is a camera bag at the boarding pass area. I had to do that once.

Hum. We have a camera bag that is a backpack. It's small-ish, so I wonder if the airline would consider it a backpack or camera bag. My husband needs to carry-on a garment bag AND this bag. I guess we'll be calling Frontier. :glare:

I'd say personal item - our travel agent told us that if it's roughly the size of a briefcase (whatever shape) or less, that's a personal item. Larger than that, and/or the size of a carry-on, is a carry-on. He'll be fine.

Totally agree.

When we last flew a little over a year ago, you were allowed a carry-on piece of luggage AND a personal item to take onto the plane, no charge.

ONE purse, fanny pack, camera bag, laptop bag, attache or briefcase, shopping bag/gift bag, OR backpack would be the personal item (that could fit under the seat). And ONE smaller suitcase or backpack could be the carry-on (MUST check the airline website for the dimensions of what is allowed size-wise as a carry-on!) -- as it must fit in the overhead.

If your camera bag is smallish, could you put it inside a backpack to have bag space for any other miscellaneous loose items? That's what I did with the small digital camera. Or, could you get a larger, roomier camera bag and use it to stick other loose items in? That's what DH did with the more professional camera gear and lenses -- he managed to get a lot of additional stuff into his camera bag that looks like this one.

Thanks! The "personal" bag he wants to bring is very similar. (It's this one.

His garment bag fulfills the carry-on dimension requirements, so this is his only other concern.