Menu

? About neighborhood kids...Possibly JAWM

We have some new neighbors that moved in down the street. Sisters ages 11 and 13. One seems... To have LD issues. Fine. The other does not.

They sorta play nice enough. Fine.

But they are driving us batty.they have zero concept of boundaries and aren't listening.

I feel bad for my dd bc of course it seems like I'm just being mean mom.

Some things they do DAILY that is ticking me off.

Play in our front yard when we are not out. Now I do not mean riding their bikes past the house. I mean climbing my trees and breaking the tree limbs or scribbling on my garage door with chalk. Or messing with our Halloween decorations. Climbing up my privacy fence to look into and yell into my backyard to purposely drive the dog nuts or encourage toddlers playing to get in trouble or nag at the kids to ask me stuff.:glare: btw way, I NEVER see them doing that stuff in their own front yard. So I do not think it is just how they are used to being, kwim?

The other thing is they will wait for us to pull into the driveway and then interrogate about where we were and why can't we play. Are they grounded? Do you ever let them stop school? Do you have plans?

And or they will come to the front door and repeatedly ring the doorbell. For example, ring bell, can they play, no and bye and shut door, ring bell immediately to say, "why? When? What are you doing?.."

It does not matter what I/we answer, the just keep repeating or asking or whatever. I have reached the point where I tell them point blank:

We cannot play with you right now.

It is none of your bussiness why.

Do not come into our yard unless we are playing with you.

Go home now.

Shut door or walk off.

Repeat

Repeat often.:glare:

:(. I feel like an ogre.

But good grief.

Thing is, when my kids are out front, they seem to be nice enough and play okay. But even my kids are getting annoyed by this.

For the one girl, I think she has some significant LDs for the older sister, idk. I think she is often suffering by association. Ug. That's just an awful sibling reference. :(

But I've actually heard her tell her sister to come to the door after I have told her no.:glare: so I just don't know.

All the other neighbor kids know if we can play, we are playing. So I don't usually get the bell rung and this is a new situation.

The parents are divorced and I have never seen them. I did send my girl over with a batch of homemade fudge as a welcome gift. She went with the girls and the girls just walked in and shut the door. No thank you. No we'll put this in the fridge and be right back. Nada.:001_huh:

Am I expecting too much manners and sense of tween girls? Surely not. No. I'm not. I can't believe I'm even asking that.

Sigh. Edit title. I think this ramble is a JAWM thing. Thanks for letting me vent.

they are waaaay too old to behave like that. I'd expect that from an annoying 7-8 yo not 11 and not 13.

You just have to keep saying no.

You will have to take the time to report to the parents that they are in your yard climbing your trees and fence, every single time. If they could get injured you need to send notice in writing for them to stay out. You need to make it clear they are not invited to do these things.

Tell them they can come over if your dc are out front playing, but other than that, they are not to be in your yard, or to ring your bell. Lather, rinse, repeat. Tell them you do not have to explain why, just that those are your rules. And if they don't like it, they can just stay home. :D

Well, I would agree with you even if you hadn't asked us to in the title!

I would do exactly as you are doing, and the only additional thing I would do is call my insurance agent and find out what I need to do to protect myself as much as possible if they fall out of my tree while we are not home. I don't like the sound of that liability.

Yeah that is annoying. There is a kid around here like that.

If I were you, I would ask them "Do you know what vandalism is? No? Well it is illegal. It is when you do not have permission to enter someone's property and then you mistreat their things. And that is what you are doing when you (______) and (______) and so on."

Clearly they have boundary issues that may or may not happen at home.

Guest inoubliable

Ugh! :grouphug: We have neighbors sort of like that next door. We pretty much had to go with Lisamarie's advice and then follow through with the police. A few times. :glare: You may have to do the same.

Definitely talk to the parent but present it as you being concerned about their safety and the time involved in cleaning up chalk messes and cleaning up the messes they encourage the little ones to get into. If you present it as a complaint about annoying kids the parent might take it as an insult and not do anything. If that doesn't work I would send a certified letter to the parent stating that the kids are not to be on your property unless invited and must leave if and when they are asked to, retain a copy. If that doesn't work I would be calling the police. It's flat out dangerous for them to be in your yard unsupervised. They're years beyond old enough to understand that what they're doing is not acceptable.

What a nuisance! Those kids are old enough to know better! :angry:

If I were you, I think I'd make an effort to meet whichever parent lives in your neighborhood to see what he or she is like. It may well be that the parent is even more rude and annoying than the kids, in which case you may have a long road ahead of you with this family. OTOH, the parent may not realize that the kids are such a pain, and might be helpful to you in dealing with them. You won't know until you try.

But after the Rude Fudge Incident, I'm not holding out too much hope for a lovely and well-mannered parent. For crying out loud, who wouldn't thank a new neighbor for bringing fudge??? :glare:

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. :grouphug:

What a nuisance! Those kids are old enough to know better! :angry:

If I were you, I think I'd make an effort to meet whichever parent lives in your neighborhood to see what he or she is like. It may well be that the parent is even more rude and annoying than the kids, in which case you may have a long road ahead of you with this family. OTOH, the parent may not realize that the kids are such a pain, and might be helpful to you in dealing with them. You won't know until you try.

But after the Rude Fudge Incident, I'm not holding out too much hope for a lovely and well-mannered parent. For crying out loud, who wouldn't thank a new neighbor for bringing fudge??? :glare:

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. :grouphug:

:iagree: OP, if you make homemade fudge for me, I will mow & weed your lawn and clean all chalk messes for you and even wash your car. :D

Seriously though, I think my old neighbors moved into your neighborhood. It turned out the parents were even ruder & more clueless about common decency than their kids. I had to give the kids (who were between 7 & 12, btw) specific boundaries such as "No, they cannot play with you until Tuesday. You may come to our house on Tuesday after 3pm, but not until then." Nothing else was working, but that finally worked. They were over here ALL. THE. TIME. It's another story... but in short, I feel your frustration.

Whew. So glad I am right on this.

Lately it seems like acceptable standards are only online. Otoh I get comments all the time about how nice and responsible my kids are and in the same breath people say they are immature because they aren't more rebellious or doing what all the other kids their ages are doing.

Leaves me very confused about what to expect of other kids!

Eta: ug. Stupid thumbs down was unintended! iPhone accidental hit somehow I think.