Menu

if you don't live in the USA

We have fall festivals here. This weekend is the Festival Di Zucca (pumpkin fest) in a neighboring town. The castle will be open for tours, the streets will be filled with medieval games and all the food will be pumpkin themed, even the pizza and beer. :lol: Pumpkin is treated differently, though. Spices aren't added except maybe sugar or salt. Gelato di zucca is made by sweetening the puree. If you'd like to see pics from last year's festival I have some up here: http://graceless-wandering.blogspot.it/2011/10/halloween-italian-way.html

There will be fall fests in various towns until the Christmas markets start - about midway through November.

I have never been aware of any community groups doing parties or anything. We rarely get trick or treaters, they did used to be more common when I was a kid. The main things that go on are at places like national trust properties or attractions. One local attraction which is a victorian/edwardian open air museum runs events - trick or treating round the old cottages with someone in costume in each house, local ghost stories on the mine train, pumpkin carving, a witch in a cottage you can visit, rope making, stuff like that. The local fairground heritage place does similar things too.

In our little part of the UK it gets more popular each year. Big Halloween street party in nearby big town. Not sure how many trick or treaters because we are never home that night. We have a party at a friends not many at their house but country.

The big fall event is Guy Fawkes night -- November 5. The bonfires will go on for the week before and after. Lots of communities/pubs sponsor them. They are huge fires that usually start with an effigy of Guy on top. One year the local pub had him sitting in an easy chair. Afterwords there is at least one round of fireworks normally two. Really good shows maybe 20 minutes long. Bonfire night is probably bigger then the 4th of July in much of the US in terms of actual formal event celebration. All because they failed. We usually go to a couple depending on weather. You have a huge choice of places and nights.

Well I don't live there now but did live in Belgium for three years in the mid 00's. They do celebrate Halloween. There are displays in stores and many attractions do something special. Near my town, we had a nighttime walk where they told Ghost stories, served refreshments, and had some women dressed up as witches. A town further away did a big spectacular because it had been a witches town traditionally in the old days. I wouldn't really know if anyone went trick or treating since we lived on a private road with only four houses and mine was the only one with kids. They didn't go round to the others who didn't seem to be expecting it either. We had trick or treating through the Nato Base in the American offices. We also had a trunk or treat plus games at the gym on the American base. I think some Belgian shopping center might have had something going on, but between those two activities, my kids had enough anyway. Their favorite was the night walk through the fields.

Most years we've had a couple of trick or treaters, but it's never been a big thing. In the last year or two I've noticed the supermarkets stocking Halloween stuff, so I think they are trying to make it a big thing. :p:rolleyes:

There is some American style street party stuff planned at the army base over the road, some of the playgroup mums said.

Rosie

In the last year or two I've noticed the supermarkets stocking Halloween stuff, so I think they are trying to make it a big thing. :p:rolleyes:

That is happening here too. And going by the sales the following week, it never sells well.

There are some isolated city neighboorhoods that do street parties as a community activity. We visited friends two years ago and walked around with them. The organisers posted fliers and advertised specific hours for trick or treating. One family hosted a haunted house. The kids had great fun!

We just moved from the Czech Republic. There, they have a tradition of lighting candles and placing them on all of the gravestones at the cemetery on Halloween night.

I have a friend from a neighbouring country, her DH proposed to her in a similar setting!

I'm in Australia and agree with Rosie. Not many people can reallly be bothered, plus it's spring so pumpkins are out of season, but the stores are starting to push it!

People here are aware of the "Witches Holiday" (Cadi Bayrami) celebrated in the West and you see some Halloween themed stuff around and about, but no one dresses up or goes trick or treating here. Mostly I sense faint amusement over what is perceived to be a silly tradition.

And this year the Festival of Sacrifice (Turkish: Kurban Bayrami, Arabic: Eid-al-Adha) is going on right now so most people are focused on that.

In Germany, Halloween is not traditionally celebrated. In the last years, however, people have started celebrating Halloween, one of the many trends coming from the US. There is no cultural basis for it in Germany, and there have not been any widespread celebrations of all hallow's eve before..

Brazil does not officially celebrate Halloween. Many communities are adopting the custom of Trick or Treating as American culture infiltrates Brazilian culture. How that works here is that in gated communities (the only place I've seen/heard of it being done), participating houses put some sort of sign out -- lights on, orange streamers, notify the neighborhood administration, something -- to indicate they are giving out treats. Then the children of the neighborhood Trick or Treat, like normal.

In our neighborhood, the kids will all meet at the clubhouse/playground, and child monitors (ummm, hired sitters? sort of?) will accompany the kids around the neighborhood, leading them to households that have registered as participating; the monitors will have a map of the houses. The kids will return, with the monitors, to the playground when they've made it to all the houses, and most years they have some activities after. Games, relay races, that kind of thing. Most neighborhoods do it in this organized fashion rather than a free-for-all like in the US.

Costumes are generally not very scary; last year, my son had a "Scream" mask (not the kind with fake blood) and they asked him to take it off so as not to scare younger kids in the group, just for example.

Brazil DOES officially celebrate Nov. 2nd as Day of the Dead, a Catholic (lesser) holiday. Most of the rest of the world celebrates this on Nov. 1st, and there is some slight difference between what the Catholic church observes on the 2 days (I"m not Catholic, and don't recall the difference) but Brazil celebrates the bit on Nov. 2nd. It's a national holiday, so no work, school, etc. I believe those who observe it see it as a time of rememberance/honoring those who've died, but I am not 100% certain on that.

Oh, our organized Trick or Treating is the Saturday prior to Halloween, late afternoon (daylight).

ETA: here it is called "dia das bruxas" or day of the witches.

Edited by TheReader

Germans are starting to celebrate Halloween more in the tradition on America. There are a few Germans (local nationals who work on post) who bring their kids on for trick or treating and the kids are dressed up and usually very timid when they say trick or treat.

I've heard that it's tradition to put away knives on Halloween to keep harm from coming to you. They also clean graves and put fall flower arrangements on them, which usually have parts of fir trees, berries and raffia on them, and sometimes candles. Kids also carry long sticks with lanterns on them, which IIRC, are to help guide the spirits. What I think is funny is that the kids make lanterns in school with a cardboard frame and vellum paper sides (you can also buy a lantern kits in stores) and they carry them around with REAL candles in them. That would never, ever, ever happen in the States.

Well to differ from the other Aussies here, we do. It feels really odd to me because it's the wrong time of year for a Havest Festival but we compromise by also doing that in Autumn. Certain streets in my smallish town get involved and houses tie an orange ribbon (as well as decorating if they like) to signal that trick or treaters will be rewarded. We have a couple of families that have US ex-pat members in them amongst our friends and it seems really important to them so we join in :)

In Germany, Halloween is not traditionally celebrated. In the last years, however, people have started celebrating Halloween, one of the many trends coming from the US. There is no cultural basis for it in Germany, and there have not been any widespread celebrations of all hallow's eve before..

I agree! We have had two trick-or-treaters in the past three years -- and it was an American family who were with a German family & knew that we were also Americans :D

In Venezuela, bars have Halloween parties for adults. I've never seen kids dressing up and it would be insanely dangerous to trick or treat. Kids do dress up and have parties for Carnaval (Mardi Gras).

Nov. 1 is All Saints and Nov. 2 is All Souls. People do visit graves on the 2nd, but its not a big deal like the Day of the Dead in Mexico.

Here in India there is no Halloween tradition but it is definitely starting to creep in! I live in a community that has families that have mostly lived abroad. When we moved in 7 years ago I started a Halloween party tradition with trick or treating. It is now HUGE in our community (and something I am actively planning right this minute!)

I live in Mexico. Although kids have picked up trick or treating in areas close to the US border, it is still kind of frowned upon by the older generations.

What is celebrated here is the Day of the Dead. Alters are set up in homes, and churches. People go to the gravesides of loved ones, trim the grass, set out flowers, and clean the headstones. It is common to see families in the cemetery picnicking (not sandwiched, think full on meals), and even mariachis singing to deceased loved ones. It is a celebration of life.

Danielle

I'm in Australia and agree with Rosie. Not many people can reallly be bothered, plus it's spring so pumpkins are out of season, but the stores are starting to push it!

Yeah and it' not really going to catch on if they keep charging $20 for a small pumpkin. :glare: Besides -what do you do with the pumpkin after -most people here have never heard of pumpkin pie :lol:

We celebrate it a little. That's because my DH is Canadian - he is the only Australian fool buying the $20 pumpkin :lol:

We don't trick or treat - we just let the kids dress up -and have a party -watch Halloween movies etc.

We celebrate it a little. That's because my DH is Canadian - he is the only Australian fool buying the $20 pumpkin :lol:

Do they really charge twenty dollars for those pumpkins? :eek: No wonder there is only one carved pumpkin in our local supermarket and three watermelons. :lol: Not that watermelons are in season either, but they don't cost twenty! Dd took a look at them the other day and pulled a face.

Rosie

Rosie DH insists we carve a stupid pumpkin every year -and it sits on the bench and rots in 3 days :D

He has to do all the carving because my kids will not touch the pumpkin guts. DD has sensory issues and watches from across the room, DS1 touched the guts this year for the first time ever and helped DH a little and the 3yo accidently got some guts on his arm and threw up :lol:

My kids apparently have more Australian blood then Canadian.:tongue_smilie:

Edited by sewingmama

Rosie DH insists we carve a stupid pumpkin every year -and it sits on the bench and rots in 3 days :D

He has to do all the carving because my kids will not touch the pumpkin guts. DD has sensory issues and watches from across the room, DS1 touched the guts this year for the first time ever and helped DH a little and the 3yo accidently got some guts on his arm and threw up :lol:

My kids apparently have more Australian blood then Canadian.:tongue_smilie:

I get my dc an orange casicum (bell pepper) each & they carve that into a Jack o'Lantern. Then they eat that as part of their dinner. :D DH was horrified years ago when I suggested making a real Jack o'Lantern. He felt it was a waste of good food :lol:

Here in NZ, as elsewhere, Halloween is beginning to get pushed from a consumer point of view. It is spring now, so a harvest celebration isn't really valid. We don't "do" Halloween here in NZ, but when we've been back in the States on Halloween we celebrate as I did as a child.

Here in NZ Guy Fawkes is the main celebration at this time of year. Ds#1 just realized that he is finally old enough to buy fireworks :eek:

Do they really charge twenty dollars for those pumpkins? :eek: No wonder there is only one carved pumpkin in our local supermarket and three watermelons. :lol: Not that watermelons are in season either, but they don't cost twenty! Dd took a look at them the other day and pulled a face.

Rosie

Rosie, pumpkins are over $7 per kilo here, so a full pumpkin would be at least $20.

My Canadian DH carves fruit and veggies up for for vegetable art for the local show :D. It gets the Canadian veggie carving urge out of his system.

Ok, I'm sorry but your three year old threw up from getting pumpkin seeds on his arm?!:confused::confused:

Yes he did -and he threw up last year as well when DH put some of it in his hand :lol: Apparently the texture of pumpkin guts makes him sick.

When my 6yo was younger she used to gag when she touched it too but never actually threw up.

Up until this year my older 2 kids cried when DH told them to touch it :lol:

I have many hilarious pumpkin carving photos of my kids crying and gagging while DH scoops out the pumpkin :D

The funny thing is though they never tell him not to do it -in fact every year they beg "Dad when are you going to carve the pumpkin - we want to help"