Menu

A review of Biblioplan

ByGrace3

I know choosing history can be a serious challenge, (it certainly was for me!), so I thought I would do a review of Biblioplan on my blog, and a "Why we chose BP over other history choices" as well. I will be adding a "week in the life" post soon!

Curriculum choices are so individual, but I am hoping this helps as when I was searching, every bit of information helped!

Hope this helps someone wanting to know more about Biblioplan!

A review of Biblioplan.

Why I chose BP over SL, TOG, and SOTW

I know choosing history can be a serious challenge, (it certainly was for me!), so I thought I would do a review of Biblioplan on my blog, and a "Why we chose BP over other history choices" as well. I will be adding a "week in the life" post soon!

Curriculum choices are so individual, but I am hoping this helps as when I was searching, every bit of information helped!

A review of Biblioplan.

You mentioned in your reasons that you loved it, that it isn't book specific. Whenever I look at the sample, that is what keeps me from purchasing - it looks like you need to use the books they say and there looks like a lot of Christian books; which is great, but my library doesn't have most of those. Can you comment more on that? That is probably the one and only program that I know no one in real life that has it. I have often wished that I could see it. I like curriculum that is very polished, and some of the samples seem very...homemade? I don't mean to knock your choice, I really wish I could get my hands on it IRL!

You mentioned in your reasons that you loved it, that it isn't book specific. Whenever I look at the sample, that is what keeps me from purchasing - it looks like you need to use the books they say and there looks like a lot of Christian books; which is great, but my library doesn't have most of those. Can you comment more on that? That is probably the one and only program that I know no one in real life that has it. I have often wished that I could see it. I like curriculum that is very polished, and some of the samples seem very...homemade? I don't mean to knock your choice, I really wish I could get my hands on it IRL!

You really can swap out books. The Companion and/or spine you choose is the base of the program. The cool histories, maps, timeline, and coloring/crafts (whichever you choose to use) fleshes it out. The books are very flexible. There is a reader scheduled each week for each age group, but you don't have to follow it exactly. I look at the K-2, 3+, and 5+ and determine which I want as a reader and which I want to do as a read aloud. Or if I want to add something else in there. Like I mentioned in my review, I am choosing not to do many of the read alouds because I think the 3+ or 5+ reader is a more appropriate read aloud for my age kids. However, if I had older kids I would do them.

As for the "Christian" read alouds, I think they definitely add to the program, but there is enough church history in the Companion that you would not lose that aspect if you choose to substitute other books for them. It is true that many of the BP books are hard to get at the library. I sat down at the beginning of the year decided which I wanted to read, which I could swap out, which the library had, and which I thought was worth buying. (I do buy most of my books because the library and I don't get along!) ;)

You could use BP as your scope and sequence/spine and add your own readers and read alouds. I like many of the books, but I have added many of the SL books as well.

As far as being "polished," well, it is not TOG. However, they have redone all but year 3 at this point and I think it is much improved. The maps and timeline are well done. One thing I noticed about the craft book and timeline firgures is the pictures are not all the same size. I am weird and noticed. It is slightly bothering, but not enough to not use it. (for me!) ;) I would not go so far as to say it is aesthetically pleasing, they could certainly "pretty it up" some...but I have not come across errors or typos or anything of that nature.

My one major complaint in design is the craft book. It is organized by geographical location, which is great if you are using it to supplement another program, but for a BP user, I would have much rather had it organized by week...

Hope this helps a little...

That is very helpful! Last time I had looked at it, they were really just coming out with all the newer stuff. I should really look at the samples again. This is a silly request, but can you take a picture and post what the guide(s) and the core reading plan itself looks like? I am so visual, i like to know what i am reading. I am weird, I know!

I'd also be interested in "seeing" it. I just downloaded the Year 2 samples, and I had a few questions:

Do you read Usborne and SOTW?

Do you do the Psalm study?

Do you do the writing assignments?

What do you think about the "cool" history? Are you using all the same level?

You said you are on the 3-day schedule. How long does it take each day?

That is very helpful! Last time I had looked at it, they were really just coming out with all the newer stuff. I should really look at the samples again. This is a silly request, but can you take a picture and post what the guide(s) and the core reading plan itself looks like? I am so visual, i like to know what i am reading. I am weird, I know!

You mean of the guide? Here is the link to the sample. If that is not what you mean, please let me know! :) (or do you mean the cover?) Sorry, I am a little lost. ;)

You mean of the guide? Here is the link to the sample. If that is not what you mean, please let me know! :) (or do you mean the cover?) Sorry, I am a little lost. ;)

Yes, I mean a picture of the actual guide. :blushing: You know the whole don't judge a book by it's cover? Well, I do that. I just want to see how big (or small) it is, the binding, what it "looks" like.

It's not bound, it's loose-leaf 3-hole punched, for the buyer to put in a binder. I have Yr. 1, the 2011 ed. (post-revision) and though I'm using it, some of it does seem like it was printed off someone's home inkjet printer. There aren't any literature assignments or questions that are tied to the book titles, which is what I think the OP meant by "not book specific". The only questions are in the Cool History, and they are based on the Companion which is a conglomeration of main points from the core source books (SOTW, encyclopedias...) and Biblical/Christian texts/history. It's not the most overtly Christian program available, and I do think it could be used secularly, but if I were looking for a secular program I wouldn't buy it. I actually bought it because it integrates the Bible (in Yr. 1) into history.

The samples show you a whole 3 weeks of 2 different years. Imagine it on computer paper, 3-hole punched. :)

Yes, I mean a picture of the actual guide. :blushing: You know the whole don't judge a book by it's cover? Well, I do that. I just want to see how big (or small) it is, the binding, what it "looks" like.

I purchased it as an e-book, sorry! The family guide is 87 pages, and the Companion is 747 Pgs, if that helps at all... I just read it off the IPad.

I'd also be interested in "seeing" it. I just downloaded the Year 2 samples, and I had a few questions:

Do you read Usborne and SOTW?

We started out doing both, but now are still using the SOTW audios, and only occasionally pulling out Usborne.

Do you do the Psalm study?

No. We have a separate Bible curriculum we use. As far as I am aware, the Psalm study is simply a list of readings.

Do you do the writing assignments?

I have not done many. For littles it is often, "do copywork from SOTW" but I have found several of the ideas pretty good actually.

What do you think about the "cool" history? Are you using all the same level?

I am using the Cool Histories for Littles this year (K-2) since mine are in K and 2nd. :) I do like them. It lists the most applicable readings from the Companion so I can easily scan that list for those I am most interested in. It has comprehension questions, as well as telling you which coloring page and giant of the faith to cover, and a geography section. Next year I plan to use the Cool Histories for middles so dd will have the option to write on it/use as a worksheet, but I don't know yet if I will order the C/H for littles as well.

You said you are on the 3-day schedule. How long does it take each day?

I think we spend about 30 minutes on Monday and Wednesday and then Fridays depend on what projects/crafts we choose to do. We also read from the reader/read aloud a little every day. You really can make it what you want to make it. There is so much scheduled you just pick and choose the parts you want. When we got started I thought I would use the VP cards and Trial and Triumph, and quickly realized there was so much already there I did not need any of that.

hope that helps! :)

Thanks for posting. I think we are very similar in our desires. :) I heavily debated BP, MFW, and TOG (even started a thread "MFW vs. BP" a couple of months ago), and came down on MFW's side. I eventually made a history comparison document to help me compare and contrast those three. As a missionary, I really appreciate the e-book option of BP; and I think BP would work well for those who want to use SOTW the first time through and MOH for the logic stage, etc. I also thought their extras were very nice.

A review of Biblioplan.

Thanks for the blog post. It was very thorough! Just wondering though, do you think Biblioplan could be used with Diana Waring's History Revealed as a spine or would that be too much? We'll be doing the Middle Ages next year, and that's the program we've chosen.

I purchased it as an e-book, sorry! The family guide is 87 pages, and the Companion is 747 Pgs, if that helps at all... I just read it off the IPad.

Ha! I guess I could have derived that from your post, huh? Thank you, knowing the number of pages and the other poster that mentioned it is 3 hole punched helps. :)

Thanks so much for this!

I'm in the process of looking for history for next year. It's been so hard!

SL-We would need core E and my kids have already read many of the books.

TOG-Looks like too much for what we need right now

MFW-I already have science purchased so I can't justify the price (less I can find it used...)

Truthquest- using it this year but I want something more planned out for next year.

BP-This sounds like it might be just what we're looking for!!

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I was really hoping all of that work would help someone! ;)

Thanks for posting this. I've not considered TOG or SL but have debated heavily between BP and MFW.

I also debated MFW, but I think I love The IdEA of MFW, and then every time I look at samples I remember why it won't work for me. :tongue_smilie: it does seem to be perfect for many families though!

Thanks for posting. I think we are very similar in our desires. :) I heavily debated BP, MFW, and TOG (even started a thread "MFW vs. BP" a couple of months ago), and came down on MFW's side. I eventually made a history comparison document to help me compare and contrast those three. As a missionary, I really appreciate the e-book option of BP; and I think BP would work well for those who want to use SOTW the first time through and MOH for the logic stage, etc. I also thought their extras were very nice.

I think I have started several of those threads. ;) I agree that SOTW first time through and MOH next cycle is great. Going through it now, I think the Companion alone would work as well. The e -book option is so great! So glad MFW is working for you!

Thanks for the blog post. It was very thorough! Just wondering though, do you think Biblioplan could be used with Diana Waring's History Revealed as a spine or would that be too much? We'll be doing the Middle Ages next year, and that's the program we've chosen.

Sorry, I am not familiar with Diana Waring's stuff to comment. BP is as full as you want to make it. I wouldn't use it in addition to SOTW or MOH but one spine along with the companion should be fine...

Ha! I guess I could have derived that from your post, huh? Thank you, knowing the number of pages and the other poster that mentioned it is 3 hole punched helps. :)

Glad it helped! :001_smile:

Just FYI, the hard copies are now comb bound. They were loose leaf last year. When we ordered for this year I was pleasantly surprised. :001_smile:

Good to know, thanks!

Thanks so much for this!

I'm in the process of looking for history for next year. It's been so hard!

SL-We would need core E and my kids have already read many of the books.

TOG-Looks like too much for what we need right now

MFW-I already have science purchased so I can't justify the price (less I can find it used...)

Truthquest- using it this year but I want something more planned out for next year.

BP-This sounds like it might be just what we're looking for!!

Sounds so similar to me! I also considered TQ. I think they are all great, just different. Decide what you want in a history program and work backwards. I think TQ would serve as a great supplement to anything...

So, will you sweet ladies explain the Companion to me? It is humongous and I wonder why it's necessary as SOTW, MOH, and other good books make great history spines. For some reason, the Companion issue bothers me. I care a lot about scholarship of a text and can't imagine a history text of that size coming together so quickly.

To the OP: Thanks for your review. But for the Companion issue (and perhaps a few other little things) Biblioplan would have a strong First Place ranking with me. I really don't want integrated Bible Study or Science but MFW is my Top Choice for the first two years of the history cycle for my crew. Love the Bible as a spine and the use of SOTW Volume 2. I've downloaded the 3-week samples of BP several times to read and re-read. It's possible I'm being over critical about the Companion.

So, will you sweet ladies explain the Companion to me? It is humongous and I wonder why it's necessary as SOTW, MOH, and other good books make great history spines. For some reason, the Companion issue bothers me. I care a lot about scholarship of a text and can't imagine a history text of that size coming together so quickly.

To the OP: Thanks for your review. But for the Companion issue (and perhaps a few other little things) Biblioplan would have a strong First Place ranking with me. I really don't want integrated Bible Study or Science but MFW is my Top Choice for the first two years of the history cycle for my crew. Love the Bible as a spine and the use of SOTW Volume 2. I've downloaded the 3-week samples of BP several times to read and re-read. It's possible I'm being over critical about the Companion.

The Companion confused me at first as well so I understand where you are coming from. It is kind of like a ginormous encyclopedia. If SOTW or MOH is enough for you, then you don't need it. SOTW was NOT enough for me. Yes it had plenty of information, but it highlighted one or two topics or stories and there was no "fleshing out" or the connections that I needed. I think sometimes the Companion is for me. It helps me get more information so I can better determine what I need to target for my dc. It gives me the rest of the pieces of the story so I can better understand the smaller pieces my dc are getting.

Also, the Companion has so many interesting facts and pictures. My kids love those! It makes it a more "visual experience."

The Companion also has a ton of church history. This is a major benefit to me.

The Companion confused me at first as well so I understand where you are coming from. It is kind of like a ginormous encyclopedia. If SOTW or MOH is enough for you, then you don't need it. SOTW was NOT enough for me. Yes it had plenty of information, but it highlighted one or two topics or stories and there was no "fleshing out" or the connections that I needed. I think sometimes the Companion is for me. It helps me get more information so I can better determine what I need to target for my dc. It gives me the rest of the pieces of the story so I can better understand the smaller pieces my dc are getting.

Also, the Companion has so many interesting facts and pictures. My kids love those! It makes it a more "visual experience."

Nicole,

Thanks for explaining this to me. I read thru the Middle Ages Companion samples and there was a lot there. What kind of bibliography does the Companion have? If it isn't an original "spine" like SOTW or MOH then where are they getting their info.? How did they pull this enormous thing together? I guess I just don't "get it" yet. How do I know it is solid? SWB and Linda Hobar are solid; I understand their worldviews and how they go about fleshing out history. I also know that they have taken time to write those history spines. SOTW and MOH didn't come together overnight. It seems like the Companions *suddenly* appeared and became part of Biblioplan's weekly schedule. If they are hundreds of pages in each history year than how on earth were they pulled together? *Please* take my tone as inquisitive. BP has a great reputation and I simply want to know more about the Companion before I trust it. :D

Thanks. :001_smile:

Nicole,

Thanks for explaining this to me. I read thru the Middle Ages Companion samples and there was a lot there. What kind of bibliography does the Companion have? If it isn't an original "spine" like SOTW or MOH then where are they getting their info.? How did they pull this enormous thing together? I guess I just don't "get it" yet. How do I know it is solid? SWB and Linda Hobar are solid; I understand their worldviews and how they go about fleshing out history. I also know that they have taken time to write those history spines. SOTW and MOH didn't come together overnight. It seems like the Companions *suddenly* appeared and became part of Biblioplan's weekly schedule. If they are hundreds of pages in each history year than how on earth were they pulled together? *Please* take my tone as inquisitive. BP has a great reputation and I simply want to know more about the Companion before I trust it. :D

Thanks. :001_smile:

Not offended in the least, seems like a valid question. The customer service is great. You should email them (and let us know what they say) ;)

From what I understand, they have had the Companions awhile, no? They just revised them this year? I could be wrong though...

This is our first year with BP as well (Ancients). I like it, and it is a high quality product. It is very complete with many options.

I find the options overwhelming with lots of shifting between books. I want a history program that is somehow simple yet with great depth. BP has great depth, but does not always seem simple to me (but I think that is just me because they certainly lay it all out for the user).

We have reverted to using SOTW with the Activity Guide, and the BP Companion as a reference text. We also use the review questions (Cool Histories) which are very complete.

They were very helpful during ordering, and I would recommend their books if the style worked for us.

I would like it so much more if I liked being told what to do - but I don't. LOL. They do a great job of laying everything out for the user, and providing many ways to use all their tools. They seem to have thought of everything.

I really enjoy reading the Companion which separates most chapter by Historical, Biblical and Geographical Focus - this is very useful. It is a great book!

Kathy

This is interesting to me. I've also not liked the companion idea. We don't have any sort of tablet device. I'm unsure of trying to utilize the computer while teaching...

Not offended in the least, seems like a valid question. The customer service is great. You should email them (and let us know what they say) ;)

From what I understand, they have had the Companions awhile, no? They just revised them this year? I could be wrong though...

:001_smile: I did email awhile back with questions but I can't recall the specifics now. I *do* know that my qualms about the Companion weren't resolved and I didn't want to bug them beyond the initial inquiry. :D I am beating a dead horse now I suppose and will have to see for myself by ordering a Companion.