Menu

Does anyone school just 3 days aweek?

mom2agang

We did only two days a week for several years, as far as Official School Stuff. On Wednesdays we went to the library, on Thursdays we left the house for a field trip, on Fridays we cleaned house. I counted Wednesdays and Thursdays as "school," but of course there wasn't Official School Stuff, although we might have done some after the library. :)

On Mondays and Tuesdays we just did the next thing.

When dds were 9 and 12, we did Vol. 2 of KONOS: Tuesday and Thursday, KONOS only; Monday and Wednesday, English skills and math.

we're doing 4 days a week... but we've just started so I can't say how it's going. We plan on breaks through out the year, like this past week we went to visit family and had "fall break." we'll probably do language arts and math every day of the 4. reading every day, of course.

We currently are, but it's temporary.

I scheduled a 4 day school week (with Friday being our library/art day since the local library has story time that day). However, I'm taking a 9-week Bible study at our church on Weds. mornings, and we end up being away from home from 8-3:00 ... basically all day. (Bible study isn't that long, we have lunch and then I have a church staff meeting afterwards.)

Anyway, all of our programs are pretty much "do the next thing" so it doesn't throw things off too much. Math = Singapore (easy to catch up). Reading = R&S (again, lessons are numbered but easy to double up...we just started R&S a month or so ago, so we're behind anyway).

We do Bible daily (just reading the next story in our kid's Bible); memory work, handwriting, read-alouds, science whenever we fit them in.

Honestly, I'll be glad to go back to 4x a week. I felt like we were more structured and successful at getting our week done.

We do the basics every day, or at least 4 days a week (math, reading, writing). Our longer 3 days involve the rest of the subjects. We are doing MFW ECC and here is how we do it.

Monday we do geography (or history if we weren't doing ECC).

Tuesday is a light day because of piano lessons so we stick with the basics and can usually be done with school in about an hour or so.

Wednesday is science day.

Thursday is art/music/vocabulary day.

Friday is a light day and also our library day. Again, "school work" is done is about an hour.

I don't understand the appeal, but that may be because my kids have short attention spans. After our one day off (Saturday), the kids seem to have forgotten everything I've ever said. Plus some extra, for good measure. And it's always easier for me to do less more often, than more less often.

DD doesn't have much of a workload yet. DS does. I have 2 days for him where all he does is a short math, programming which usually he ends up spending a couple hours on, a short grammar sheet, and the final edit for his writing assignment.

I tend to front load our week because we had the whole weekend off and are ready to go. By Wednesday I need a breather so that and Thursday are a bit lighter. Friday we are fine all day since the weekend is coming.

I don't know how I could manage just 3 days a week, but if you are going year round I guess it could work.

We do 4 days a week of the basics and the 5th is for arts, music, crafts, and projects. I think 3 days a week would be fine for lower elementary, but I know I couldn't get everything done to my satisfaction for upper elementary in less than 4 days a week. Even w/ year round school, I don't think 3 days would be enough for my 5/6th grader.

I don't understand the appeal, but that may be because my kids have short attention spans. After our one day off (Saturday), the kids seem to have forgotten everything I've ever said. Plus some extra, for good measure. And it's always easier for me to do less more often, than more less often.

:lol: and :iagree:

I think it depends on the age of your children and your definition of school. If you are doing nature study days, fun drawing/creative writing/projects, library days, field trips, etc. then you might be able to do seat work in 3 days. My 6yo could, 8yo might be able too. I don't think it would be wise for my 10yo, his days would be too long.