Menu

Dresses for church (toddler)

My daughter who used to have way too many clothing is actually growing out of her 6-12 month clothing so I am looking for clothing for her again. I'd like to get her a nice long-sleeve dress for church, but most stores I have found so far don't carry sizes under 2T, or those that carry baby sizes don't have the style I am looking for....

For those with little girls where do you shop for more conservative dresses for church?

Just giving this a bump.

I start at Goodwill, move up to the Consignment Stores. Possibly ask your friends who have daughters a year older than yours. It's great to set up a way to have a steady stream of hand-me-downs.

We also have a local bi-annual kids' consignment sale, which always has MILES of racks of outgrown little girls dresses.

Usually at that age, little ones CAN'T wear out their clothes, so hand-me-downs work great.

I've never had to buy my girls dresses. Every Christmas, I tell my in-laws, "The girls need clothes, but NOT dresses, as they have 10 each. Please consider pajamas, which they need desperately, or jeans, or shoes." What do they get for Christmas? More dresses. :confused:

That said, I think the in-laws have sometimes purchased from here: http://shop.joleneusa.com/default.asp

Dresses generally fit from ankle length to knee length, regardless of their sizing information. That means I dont buy each size, but about every second or third size. They get worn for years. Also, a long sleeved plain onsie or t shirt transforms many dresses that wouldn't otherwise be "conservative".

eBay is my favorite source for modest church dresses. It does take some searching to find ones I like, but I rarely spend more than $10 for a dress (including shipping). Ask sellers for measurements if you're looking for a particular length. You could try searching for Bonnie Jean dresses or Rare Editions dresses; both come in baby sizes and tend to be more traditionally styled than other brands.

You can also buy custom made modest baby dresses from these sellers:

The Scarlet Thread (ask them to email you their current fabric selections)

Lilies of the Field (you can see their available fabrics on their website)

The King's Daughters

I've ordered from the first two companies and have been happy with their sewing.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by MercyA

I'm not sure what style you are looking for, but I've never had a problem finding dresses for my DDs and that's about all they wear. I can't think of any baby dress that would be immodest...I really am having a hard time thinking of what you are looking for. Maybe a picture would help? My girls' dresses usually were this type of style- a t-shirt top and some flounces on the bottom. You could find tons at Gymboree, Carters, Osh Kosh, Crazy 8, Hanna Andersson, Lands End, Target...

You could search ebay for the brands you like and not pay full price. Baby clothes usually don't go for much because most babies don't wear them long.

We do a lot of smocked bishop dresses for our girls. They're very comfortable and modest. You can get a lot of wear out of them if you buy them big (almost ankle length) and wear them until they're just below knee length. A lot of smocked clothing is expensive, but it's fun to make if you're crafty or available on ebay if you're not. I got a great deal on a few things from Remember Nguyen's website recently.

At least on their website, Land's End only carries 2T or larger. I do need to check measurements for each dress because my daughter tends to be a bit longer in the legs (which is why I mentioned 12-18 months) but her waist is so tiny that most 12 month clothing with a regular waist band still does not fit her. Her baptism dress had to be exchanged for a larger size and then I had to take it to a tailor to get it fit her properly.

I'm trying to consolidate wardrobe so I figured a dress would be better than a jumper dress with a matching long sleeve shirt and matching leggings. She has a couple white cardigans, but they have some small pattern on them from some set my mother bought for her.

At least on their website, Land's End only carries 2T or larger. I do need to check measurements for each dress because my daughter tends to be a bit longer in the legs (which is why I mentioned 12-18 months) but her waist is so tiny that most 12 month clothing with a regular waist band still does not fit her. Her baptism dress had to be exchanged for a larger size and then I had to take it to a tailor to get it fit her properly.

I'm trying to consolidate wardrobe so I figured a dress would be better than a jumper dress with a matching long sleeve shirt and matching leggings. She has a couple white cardigans, but they have some small pattern on them from some set my mother bought for her.

Hanna Andersson play dresses. Seriously those things can be washed 100,000 times and look new

DRESSES

I reread and saw you want more of a 18mo size. The thing about the LE dresses is that they are loose, so you can get lots of wear out of them. I think you could find a pretty, wide ribbon, and tie it around the waist of the dresses. If they are too long in the sleeves, just hem up--the knit is super-easy to work with (or just roll up, but that doesn't look as nice). I never mind if the toddler dresses are kinda long--as long as it doesn't impede play, I'm good with the "midcalf" look! LOL!

I haven't had a ton of luck finding conservative dresses for my daughter, so we usually just wear dressy cardigans with a lot of her church clothes to make them appropriate.

:iagree:

Adding leggings, tights, layering tees or cardigans makes almost anything wearable! :)

I always liked Children's Place when mine were little. Gymboree has some pretty dresses, but they're more pricey. Both stores have baby girl sizes (3 months - 5T).

Both Lands' End and Hanna Andersson have recently changed the style of their basic knit dresses. I'm very disappointed.

Me, too! :( I used to love the Lands' End knit dresses, but now they're so short that they're almost like tunic tops! The fabric is much thinner than it used to be, too.

My daughter who used to have way too many clothing is actually growing out of her 6-12 month clothing so I am looking for clothing for her again. I'd like to get her a nice long-sleeve dress for church, but most stores I have found so far don't carry sizes under 2T, or those that carry baby sizes don't have the style I am looking for....

For those with little girls where do you shop for more conservative dresses for church?

Lands End & LL Bean have long sleeved baby dresses. I remember Children's Place used to sell l/s baby dresses with matching leggings.

I you want to get really spendy, Mini Boden has gorgeous ones. I got the catalog today. <swoon>

Me, too! :( I used to love the Lands' End knit dresses, but now they're so short that they're almost like tunic tops! The fabric is much thinner than it used to be, too.

I recently bought dd a Lands End dress, and I did think the fabric was thinner, but I didn't think it was too short. My dd wears leggings or long bike shorts under dresses, no matter the season. This comes in a size 2:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/girls-long-sleeve-knit-a-line-dress~241274_5.html

Could you size up on this style (there are other colors), or add leggings?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66382?feat=6142-CL2&page=infants-and-toddlers-unshrinkable-knit-dress-long-sleeve

These are adorable, although they do seem shorter. You can pair with leggings. Maybe the toddler dresses are shorter to make walking easier?

What about these with a shirt under? They are very long and come in juicy colors:

http://www.basicbrilliance.com/girls-white-dress.html

These seem quite long:

http://www.garnethill.com/easy-tiered-knit-dress---baby-girls-26-girls/girls-clothing/baby-girls-3-mos-4t/dresses-skirts/164997?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=8

If the $ky is the limit, I am in love with Chasing Fireflies. Check it out:

http://www.chasing-fireflies.com/dresses/products/14/1/0

Edited by LibraryLover

I recently bought dd a Lands End dress, and I did think the fabric was thinner, but I didn't think it was too short. My dd wears leggings or long bike shorts under dresses, no matter the season.
I did end up pairing our new Lands' End dress with leggings, and it's very cute. It just doesn't work for us with tights for church. It hits a couple inches above the knee. You can go a size up with their summer dresses, but if you do that with the winter ones, the sleeves tend to be too long.

I love bike shorts under dresses, too! Gymboree ones work great.

What about these with a shirt under? They are very long and come in juicy colors:

http://www.basicbrilliance.com/girls-white-dress.html

We have a couple of dresses from Basic Brilliance. I love them, but they stain very easily for some reason. However, the company will actually redye them for you in a darker color if necessary, for a small fee.

Wow! Thanks for all the advice.

I am gonna try and get to the outlets this weekend since I'll be in town anyway. I don't know what I'm looking for a specific style. I don't mind a style that is loose in the waist. Ribbon would be a good idea, too. I will have to go out and go shopping. I'm a terrible online shopper.

My girls have worn Gymboree for years. With sales and coupons (plus always either earning or redeeming Gymbucks), it's cheaper than Targer but much better quality (I've always been able to pass down Olivia's clothing to Lauren, and it's still in good enough condition to sell it after that!).

There are currently 7 long sleeve dresses in Baby Girl, plus several jumpers that just need a long sleeve top to go underneath.

http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_category.jsp?productSizeSelected=0&pageClicked=0&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302774893&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1351170309695

I've had good luck at Kohls and consignment shops. I think most of her brands are Carter's, Gymboree, and Lands End. DD loves to wear dresses everyday and it's been hard to come up with longer casual dresses.

A little tip...I've discovered the next size up is usually just a little longer in the arms, but the dresses are quite a bit longer too. I'm not sure about baby sizes, but it works well with the toddler sizes. My size 3T DD usually wears a size 4 dress with the arms cuffed. That gives us a bit more time to wear the dress before it's too short.

I'm having a hard time imagining toddler dresses that aren't conservative. The mental picture is disturbing!

I'm guessing she has the same issues as me...Most baby/toddler dresses are too short! Especially when you are constantly picking them up and carrying them...or they are standing on their head. :lol: I can't stand her diaper constantly showing! I try to find dresses that fall below DD's knees and it's not easy. I also prefer solid colors or stripes over Disney characters which further complicates things. :tongue_smilie:

I'm guessing she has the same issues as me...Most baby/toddler dresses are too short! Especially when you are constantly picking them up and carrying them...or they are standing on their head. :lol: I can't stand her diaper constantly showing! I try to find dresses that fall below DD's knees and it's not easy.

I agree! Most newer little girls' dresses are very short, and those matching little diaper covers don't cover much more than the diaper itself. Bike shorts are better, but I'd rather they not be constantly on display. :)

I've found that as long as dresses hit at the knee or just below, they don't interfere with walking, climbing, and playing. We also prefer dresses with sleeves, which can be surprisingly hard to find.

right? I dont even understand this post bc I could find a million adorable toddler dresses in my sleep without batting an eye simply by putting any one of a hundred good normal store names into the google.

I kind of assumed she wanted something amish looking maybe. Like color and patterns are out?

Im not really sure what you're wanting to stay away from but even Kohls, JCPenney, and Sears have nice toddler dresses. They don't seem hard to find. Id love to see what you end up picking.

I agree! Most newer little girls' dresses are very short, and those matching little diaper covers don't cover much more than the diaper itself. Bike shorts are better, but I'd rather they not be constantly on display. :)

I've found that as long as dresses hit at the knee or just below, they don't interfere with walking, climbing, and playing. We also prefer dresses with sleeves, which can be surprisingly hard to find.

Why not just put leggings underneath?

Just giving this a bump.

I start at Goodwill, move up to the Consignment Stores. Possibly ask your friends who have daughters a year older than yours. It's great to set up a way to have a steady stream of hand-me-downs.

We also have a local bi-annual kids' consignment sale, which always has MILES of racks of outgrown little girls dresses.

Usually at that age, little ones CAN'T wear out their clothes, so hand-me-downs work great.

There is a consignment sale that is really good about 45 minutes from me. I found lots of stuff there this year and last.

Before that, it was all hand me downs that I bought at yard sale prices from a friend. :D

I also buy Rare Editions dresses for her, which are really cute. The sale that I attend with those, all the dresses are under $20.

I'm having a hard time imagining toddler dresses that aren't conservative. The mental picture is disturbing!

I'm also confused by some of the other PPs (not the OP necessarily, as she didn't specify) who said they can't find anything conservative. :confused:

Most sensible people use a diaper cover, bike shorts or leggings, not longer dresses that interfere with walking playing and crawling (in younger ages).

:iagree: Pink wears leggings in the cold weather and little shorts under her dresses in the warm weather. It's not all that difficult. (Not trying to be snarky at all...just saying, I buy cheap little Garanimals knit shorts at WM for $3 in about 5 colors and they work great for the summer. In the winter, we either do the thick tights or leggings - but usually leggings, especially this year since I don't know how easy it'll be for her to pull those tights back up by herself. ;) )

Because I felt like window shopping (;) ) we get dresses like this of the Rare Editions brand (though I don't personally do holiday-themey stuff - :ack2: - Pink loves fancy dresses and the price we pay for them can't be beat. We also do jumpers.); Gymboree (I consider most of their stuff conservative- the little smocked dresses are adorable!); Carter's... the possibilities are endless! :)

I also have bought some off of eBay - really cute stuff at great prices. I'm a really picky ebay shopper though, and it takes some time to match up what I'm looking for with my price point, but it can be fun (...as I head over to ebay, since Pink needs a few more dresses for this winter... :lol: )

OP here,

I thought I mentioned (I'll have to look back and check) that I was looking for specifically *long sleeve* dresses, which I am having trouble finding. If I was unclear, I'm sorry.

I want to stay away from crazy patterns/copyrighted characters/designs etc and prefer something more neutral (but can still have a pattern, or colors...) . I was trying to go with a long sleeve dress as opposed to a short sleeve dress + cardigan + tights (we are trying to consolidate wardrobes- most of my daughters old wardrobe is Gymboree, which has a matching piece for EVERYTHING which consequently makes putting outfits together a horrific experience).

I do buy dresses a size up normally. I picked her up two dresses today that were short sleeves to see if they would work with her cardigans.

A lot of her dresses that she owned are sleeveless, and were more casual/appropriate for summer. I know when I was at Target today, the Target had a handful of dresses on the clearance rack but there was nothing out in the regular baby clothing section that was a dress. Plus, what I am seeing (at least online) is a lot of holiday-themed dresses.

Thanks for all the advice. There are a couple links I didn't get to check out yet, but I am will check them out in a bit! :)

OP here,

I thought I mentioned (I'll have to look back and check) that I was looking for specifically *long sleeve* dresses, which I am having trouble finding. If I was unclear, I'm sorry.

I want to stay away from crazy patterns/copyrighted characters/designs etc and prefer something more neutral (but can still have a pattern, or colors...) . I was trying to go with a long sleeve dress as opposed to a short sleeve dress + cardigan + tights (we are trying to consolidate wardrobes- most of my daughters old wardrobe is Gymboree, which has a matching piece for EVERYTHING which consequently makes putting outfits together a horrific experience).

I do buy dresses a size up normally. I picked her up two dresses today that were short sleeves to see if they would work with her cardigans.

A lot of her dresses that she owned are sleeveless, and were more casual/appropriate for summer. I know when I was at Target today, the Target had a handful of dresses on the clearance rack but there was nothing out in the regular baby clothing section that was a dress. Plus, what I am seeing (at least online) is a lot of holiday-themed dresses.

Thanks for all the advice. There are a couple links I didn't get to check out yet, but I am will check them out in a bit! :)

Oh that makes a lot more sense.

And I agree! What is it with the fashion being that fancier girls dresses for winter are all short sleeved? Yes, simple knit dresses are much easier to find long-sleeved, but most of the Christmas dresses on the racks for the past few years have been short sleeved or even sleeveless! I know many people live in warmer climates... but plenty of us don't. And what's the point of a pretty Christmas dress if you have to hide it under a sweater?

Hanna Anderson does have a bunch of long sleeved options, particularly their sweater dresses.

At that age, my girls pretty much lived in Gymboree. If the dress is short sleeved, they will have a matching cardigan about 99.9% of the time. I actually just ordered my 21month old a few long sleeve dresses and they got here yesterday.

Hanna Andersson should have some long-sleeved options as well. We did a lot of that a few years ago, but there isn't a store near us, and the fit tends to be boxy (which my girls don't like) and returning/buying/returning online/mail got old. But we do have a few of their pieces that they adored and passed down beautifully.

Lands End is nice but they don't do baby anymore. My 7 year old wears LE almost exclusively now (she finds Gymbo "too babyish" in most respects but I can still pull off a few 3 way matches if I'm careful that there are no bows/frills/etc on hers!)

THe other place we have found a few great surprises as far as dresses goes is Kohls and Target.

Oh.... and don't forget.... you can always do a jumper with a turtleneck onesie underneath if you need warmth.

OP here,

Ah! Yes, that makes sense now! :)

Check department stores for rare editions dresses. I know there is at least one long sleeve 'fancy' dress on the link I had for those. :)

We do a lot of short sleeves here in the winter too, just not sleeveless. It's still super warm inside, and they would have to wear a coat outside either way (whether the dress is short or long sleeves). I don't know how your climate is so that may not apply to you - I just know that I've gotten lots of short sleeve 'fancy' dresses for winter and they are just as useful as long sleeves. :)