Menu

If you have taken your teen to the dr. for acne....

...at what point did you make the decision to do so?

How much time and how many different treatments did you spend trying to clear it up?

And how bad is "bad?" Molly has some along her hairline, typically one or two on her forehead, one on her chin. They're usually the painful, cystic type, though a couple of whiteheads are often present. Her skin is looking sort of red and blotchy. It's by no means "pizza face," but it bothers her.

We've tried grocery store prooducts: Neutrogena gentle face wash, etc, then gone through courses of Clinque's Acne System (or whatever it's called-- salicylic acid-based) for a month and then switched to the Target version of Proactive (benzoyle peroxide based.) I've read every thread on here about acne treatments, and Molly takes zinc with her daily vitamin.

So I think my next call is to the pediatrician. I'm hesitant because of the horror stories I"ve heard about those strong acne prescriptions. But there must be different options, no?

Any thoughts?

thanks,

astrid

There are many things the dr can do to help. I would go sooner rather than later. I waited too long with my son, and he will have scars the rest of his life.

DS started with topical treatments, which he was not compliant in using. His acne was so severe that we ended up doing Accutane. I remember on our first visit, ds's face was horrible, and he was wearing ball caps all the time to hide it. (Even though he said it didn't bother him.) Another boy walked out who had obviously been in treatment for a while, and all I could think was, "oh, how I wish my son could have that face." In just a few months, he did! I've never regretted going that course.

All that to say--if you're concerned and don't see improvement with otc products--don't hesitate to see the dr. I think you'll be glad that you did.

I guess I just don't know what is considered "severe enough to treat." Will they look at her and laugh at me for bringing her in? We HAVE tried a whole range of OTC stuff, and Molly has been super-vigilant about using the products correctly, changing her pillowcase daily, etc. NOTHING seems to work. I don't know what else to do at this point.

Thanks so much for the reply! It really helps a lot-- I just called the ped. but forgot that they're on lunch break until 2:15!

astrid

How much time and how many different treatments did you spend trying to clear it up?

So I think my next call is to the pediatrician. I'm hesitant because of the horror stories I"ve heard about those strong acne prescriptions. But there must be different options, no?

Any thoughts?

thanks,

astrid

I have spent a small fortune the last few years on over-the-counter acne treatments for my two boys. None worked - including the zinc that I read about on these boards.

A couple of years ago, I took my oldest (then 14) to the dermatologist. He was told that the only remedy for his case was to take an antibiotic. After reading the list of side effects, he decided not to take it. He just turned 16 and his skin is much better now.

My middle son has a much worse case than my oldest ever had, and unlike my oldest, the acne bothers him. Because my middle son is self-conscience of his skin, we decided to take him to the doctor.

At first the doctor prescribed some topical creams - none worked. A few weeks ago, the doctor said ds would need to be started on an antibiotic. This doctor said he does not prescribe the antibiotic that my oldest was told to take because this doctor does not like the side effects.

My middle son decided to take this antibiotic. Within a couple of days, he started to notice an improvement. Unfortunately, he has now broken out in hives. I am waiting for the doctor to give me a call back today to see if he can recommend something else.

On one hand, I don't like the thought of having my son take an antibiotic for a condition that he will eventually outgrow. On the other hand, he has a bad case and may end of with permanent scarring if he elects not to take the antibiotic.

If she has the painful, cystic ones, they won't laugh. Those are harder to treat than many other types. I had skin like you describe as a teen, and I was very relieved to be taken seriously by a dermatologist. Now that I'm adult it is better, but I am still prone to that kind of breakout, and the advice the dr gave me way back when is still useful. Take her in--it is really unlikely you will regret it. :grouphug:

I think if she has any cystic spots taking her in is the right thing. They can be painful and really leave marks. While young your skin is able to bounce back better than waiting.

They will NOT laugh at you. I went to a dermatologist just because of some large pore area.

. They're usually the painful, cystic type, though a couple of whiteheads are often present

Any thoughts?

thanks,

astrid

these can leave scars. Ask me how I know.

I didn't have acne all over my face all the time, but I had such bad pimples when I did get them (1-4 zits per month) that I have scarring on my face.

I took my then 16 yo dd to a dermatologist on my suggestion not hers. She is a picker. The dermatologist realized this right away- said she was too and put my dd on an oral med and a topical. We have had to tweak it a bit to make sure not to dry out her skin, but she is vastly improved. Incredible results really. DD also wondered if the dermatologist would laugh at us. Not at all. She was very understanding and said right away that my dd was the perfect candidate for treatment. Best money spent on a dr. in a long time! I would always take a child if they asked. And sometimes when they don't :)

My dd had inflammatory acne. It required her to take an antibiotic for 6 weeks and she was also given a cream to help with scarring. If the acne is cyst like I think she should see a dermatologist. I wish I hadn't waited to take my dd. My dd hates going to the doctor, but I finally but my foot down. She is much better. She did have to take antibiotics off and on for a year.

Vickie

I took my then 16 yo dd to a dermatologist on my suggestion not hers. She is a picker. The dermatologist realized this right away- said she was too and put my dd on an oral med and a topical. We have had to tweak it a bit to make sure not to dry out her skin, but she is vastly improved. Incredible results really. DD also wondered if the dermatologist would laugh at us. Not at all. She was very understanding and said right away that my dd was the perfect candidate for treatment. Best money spent on a dr. in a long time! I would always take a child if they asked. And sometimes when they don't :)

She hasn't asked, but I know she's getting frustrated. She is so scrupulous about caring for her face and following the routines, completely removing makeup, etc., that I do think something more is warranted.

astrid

Not for my teen, but for myself. I know many do not have this fortunate experience, but for me, a simple prescription ($40) along with BCP was all it took to clear up my skin 100%. The prescription is Clindamyacin. It also works about 80% without the BCP, but for totally clear skin, I need both. It worked within one month and I fortunately did not have to go on a wild goose chase with strong prescriptions.

My skin was not horrifying, but it was trending worse. Several zits would be painful nodules with no "head." They are SO painful and take weeks to recede. At any given time I had about 7-9 zits in one stage or another; most were around my chin, my hairline or at my temples/ear.

I tried natural remedies for years and was sorry I spent so much time unhappy about it before I saw a doctor.

My skin was not horrifying, but it was trending worse. Several zits would be painful nodules with no "head." They are SO painful and take weeks to recede. At any given time I had about 7-9 zits in one stage or another; most were around my chin, my hairline or at my temples/ear.

I tried natural remedies for years and was sorry I spent so much time unhappy about it before I saw a doctor.

This is a good description of how Molly's skin is. Seems to be trending worse; I look at pics from freshman year and it was clear. Painful zits, lots of little red spots around her hairline, at temples.

I'm hoping dr. can help.

astrid

This is a good description of how Molly's skin is. Seems to be trending worse; I look at pics from freshman year and it was clear. Painful zits, lots of little red spots around her hairline, at temples.

I'm hoping dr. can help.

astrid

I really think you will not regret it. Part of why I waited so long was because I was afraid they would jump to strong, expensive medicines with bad side effects. They didn't. They started with a simple topical antibiotic. I truly just believe there was bacteria there that needed to be killed. I was fastidious about changing my pillow case, cleaning my skin, etc., but it just came down to something killing the bacteria for the most part.

I really think you will not regret it. Part of why I waited so long was because I was afraid they would jump to strong, expensive medicines with bad side effects. They didn't. They started with a simple topical antibiotic. I truly just believe there was bacteria there that needed to be killed. I was fastidious about changing my pillow case, cleaning my skin, etc., but it just came down to something killing the bacteria for the most part.

This is what's been keeping me from calling. I guess I've seen too many Dateline NBC specials about Accutane depression. :crying:

astrid

When there's not a significant improvement after a couple of months, it's time to try something else. We did every over the counter product, then the pediatrician, and finally we just went to the Skin and Cancer Center of AZ and saw a PA that works for the dermatologist.

It's was much better within a couple of weeks. She's on an antibiotic for 3 months and 2 different creams (one morning, one night.) After 3 months they'll try to eliminate the antibiotic and just go with the creams. We'll be putting probiotics back into her system then.

My olders sons have some acne, but it doesn't seem to bother them so we stick with OTC.

I had horrible acne and was miserable. I ended up doing Accutane and it was a miracle for me, but I had to do blood test and take birth control pills even though I was 14. It can be a wonderful option, but it CAN cause major issues in some people. Luckily, I only had dry skin.

A dr. will only put a girl on Accutane if she is already on BCPs. Many BCPs clear up acne on their own so they are frequently a first line treatment. If you aren't quite ready for BCPs yet you can try Clindomyocin which is a topical solution made of Benzoil Peroxide and Docxycycline. If that alone doesn't work they can add an oral dose of docxycycline as well. There is also Retin A and one other topical gel that starts with a d (forgot the name) but I did find that they woulded any better than any of the other topicals. Check out: The Beauty Bible: The Ultimate Guide to Smart Beauty by Paula Begoun. Her other book about the cosmetic counter has the same info in it. You can probably check them both out at the library.

DD17 has genetic acne along her chin line--a spot which corroborates with her ovaries--which have been cystic. It is deep and scarring.

We tried so much stuff, then took her to the Dr. who prescribed antibiotics.

Nightmare.

She was so sick all the time on those antibiotics (but her skin was gorgeous!)! We had to stop them because she spent about 4 months just sick-from one thing to the next. She missed so much school that we were getting phone calls all the time...

She still has it, but as she's started to see the tie between her diet and her face, it's gotten better.

We've been reading a lot on the gut/skin connection (which would also make sense for her cystic problems as PCOS can sometimes be controlled with low carbs).

Here's a start.

You know, I have no idea if this would help cystic acne, but . . . My son has been dairy free for years and he has only experienced very mild acne. About a month ago, we decided to add dairy to his diet and I couldn't believe how badly he broke out. Within a week, his entire forehead was covered!

I did a little googling and did find some studies that supported milk causing problems with acne. We stopped the milk and his skin is back to normal again.

From what you have described with your dd, I would take her if it's bothering her or you think it may lead to scarring. That's what the doctor is for and I'm sure they see people with a wide range of issues.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I had horrible acne and was miserable. I ended up doing Accutane and it was a miracle for me, but I had to do blood test and take birth control pills even though I was 14. It can be a wonderful option, but it CAN cause major issues in some people. Luckily, I only had dry skin.

This was the same for me when I was 15. I was made fun of for my acne and did that whole foundation cake-face trying to cover it up. Luckily Accutane worked for me.

Is there a family history of acne scarring? If so, I would get her in right away. If not, you could wait it out, but if I were in your shoes I would take her in anyway.

I took my dd in when in it started to scar. She's also very pale and gets awful red marks for several months after the cystic acne has cleared.

Our 1st step before hormones at age 15 was to put her on minocycline oral everyday and clindamycin cream two times a day. This didn't clear it, so we went with hormones.

Her face was clear for a long time and then it came back. I found out she quit taking the minocycline and the cream, so she's back on those again. I'm waiting to see if it improves before we go back. Our next resort is accutane which she is firmly against.

No family history of acne scarring, though admittedly I got off pretty lightly in the teen acne department, and so did dh. She's our only, so she has no older siblings with which to compare. I called the doctor; we have an appointment for Friday morning. I have to take her out of school but you know what? I don't give a flying fart.

Thanks so much for all the responses here! You've made me feel so much better!

astrid

No family history of acne scarring, though admittedly I got off pretty lightly in the teen acne department, and so did dh. She's our only, so she has no older siblings with which to compare. I called the doctor; we have an appointment for Friday morning. I have to take her out of school but you know what? I don't give a flying fart.

Thanks so much for all the responses here! You've made me feel so much better!

astrid

Please keep us posted on how things go. I would definitely not hesitate to take my child in if we were dealing with cystic acne. I have heard how difficult it can sometimes be to treat.

My son has started to break out with puberty hitting. His is not cystic, but it is coming in exactly the way mine did-the oily T-zone. I was really looking at his skin in the orthodontist's office today. Many of the spots I saw were not actually acne. They are just dark marks left by zits, but they eventually clear up and get replaced by new ones :glare:. In the scheme of things, I suppose it's not severe, but I guess I'm re-asking the question in the OP. If it's not cystic, how long do you wait? I feel bad for him. I want him to have clear skin :(. We have done OTC meds, tree tea oil, and ACV. I bought zinc, but was afraid to use it after reading it increases testosterone---something I don't want to increase in puberty :tongue_smilie:.

Please keep us posted on how things go. I would definitely not hesitate to take my child in if we were dealing with cystic acne. I have heard how difficult it can sometimes be to treat.

My son has started to break out with puberty hitting. His is not cystic, but it is coming in exactly the way mine did-the oily T-zone. I was really looking at his skin in the orthodontist's office today. Many of the spots I saw were not actually acne. They are just dark marks left by zits, but they eventually clear up and get replaced by new ones :glare:. In the scheme of things, I suppose it's not severe, but I guess I'm re-asking the question in the OP. If it's not cystic, how long do you wait? I feel bad for him. I want him to have clear skin :(. We have done OTC meds, tree tea oil, and ACV. I bought zinc, but was afraid to use it after reading it increases testosterone---something I don't want to increase in puberty :tongue_smilie:.

I definitely will fully report back here! :-)

As for the cystic part, well, that's MY "diagnosis." I guess I just mean that it's more of those painful, red, "blind" zits than the simple whiteheads, you know? Not exactly sure it IS cystic, but I suppose I'll find out. And it's not terrible-- I just feel like we're heading down a bad path, and the more we mess with products the more it's aggravating her skin, which makes it worse.

Thanks for the support!

astrid

DD17 has genetic acne along her chin line--a spot which corroborates with her ovaries--which have been cystic. It is deep and scarring.

Here's a start.

Could you explain this more? Molly was in the ER last winter for suspected appendicitis, but it turned out to be a ruptured ovarian cyst. EXTREMELY painful. No episodes since then, but she does often have painful blind zits on her chin. Hmmm......

astrid

And how bad is "bad?" Molly has some along her hairline, typically one or two on her forehead, one on her chin. They're usually the painful, cystic type, though a couple of whiteheads are often present. Her skin is looking sort of red and blotchy. It's by no means "pizza face," but it bothers her.

We've tried grocery store prooducts: Neutrogena gentle face wash, etc, then gone through courses of Clinque's Acne System (or whatever it's called-- salicylic acid-based) for a month and then switched to the Target version of Proactive (benzoyle peroxide based.) I've read every thread on here about acne treatments, and Molly takes zinc with her daily vitamin.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

astrid

Have you tried Hydrogen Peroxide. It helped a lot here. Just wipe it on at night. Cheap too. I also hear that zinc helps

You know, I have no idea if this would help cystic acne, but . . . My son has been dairy free for years and he has only experienced very mild acne. About a month ago, we decided to add dairy to his diet and I couldn't believe how badly he broke out. Within a week, his entire forehead was covered!

I did a little googling and did find some studies that supported milk causing problems with acne. We stopped the milk and his skin is back to normal again.

From what you have described with your dd, I would take her if it's bothering her or you think it may lead to scarring. That's what the doctor is for and I'm sure they see people with a wide range of issues.

Lisa

Interesting!! Did he go off dairy originally because of a sensitivity or allergy? Molly has no dairy allergies, but maybe she's developing one? She does love her yogurt/honey/fruit smoothies for breakfast, and is a cereal or oatmeal girl.

astrid

Have you tried Hydrogen Peroxide. It helped a lot here. Just wipe it on at night. Cheap too. I also hear that zinc helps

Haven't tried peroxide; it's one of the only things we haven't! :-) We'll try it tonight-- with dogs the size and hairiness of mine, I've ALWAYS got giant vats of the stuff at the ready in case of a midnight skunking! :ack2:

Zinc didn't have much effect.

astrid

I'm more of a lurker, I read often but don't post often... But...

I have struggled with acne for years! At first I was all about using all of the products marketed for oily skin and acne. It was expensive, and frustrating. Mostly frustrating because none of them made a difference and I was left with a full collection of skin care products that are basically all of the same ingredients in different packaging anyways...

Then, I realized... most of us with acne just make our poor upset skin even more upset, instead of nurturing it. Water and maybe a little bit of very mild soap is more than enough to clean your face. Really, what do we think is on our face that needs to be cleaned so harshly anyways? If she likes to use a toner, just try a little bit of witch hazel, if needed. It's probably best even to only use on particularly bad or red pimples. Then, moisturize! Avoid mineral oil moisturizers, instead try using EVO or pure virgin coconut oil. I like to do this on damp skin of at least with damp hands. If you like the EVO but don't care for the smell try adding an essential oil that you like. A lot of essential oils are also really good for acne.

It is a common misunderstanding that acne comes from oily skin. I think the opposite is true, oily skin is caused by acne. Usually, acne sufferers over dry their skin. In return, your poor skin is trying to keep up and over produces oil. I used to think I had oily skin. The funny thing though was that I couldn't stand to go without lotion on every other part of my skin. I actually have dry skin, even my face. Ever since I've been properly moisturizing my skin my face has not been oily at all. My skin in general has been much more clear, with occasional mild breakouts with my cycle.

So, if you're not ready to try even heavier treatments and like the idea of a more natural gentle approach - please consider taking it easy and moisturizing. I wish you good luck with your daughter... I know how much acne can affect the way she feels about herself.

No one has mentioned dermabrasion or facial peels for acne.

Astrid, dd has been fighting with acne for 3 years, break-outs for 3 years before that.

Last month we took her to a dermatologist and she has been taking Solidyn but had little welts breaking out on her ankles and shins. She was also using topically Differin and Acanya, as directed, on blemishes morning and/or night while washing her face with salicylic acid twice a day.

She stopped using the solidyn because of the welts. We will be trying something else soon. In the meantime, the topical stuff is making her skin extremely dry, even in places where she isn't applying it at all (under the eyes, eyelids, cheeks). We were told it may resemble a sunburn at times. Her eyelids were orange!

Previously she had tried Proactive, Burt's Bees, Neutrogena, Aveeno, salt scrubs, and a lot of other $$ products.:banghead:

There are two places we've found out about that offer peels in three levels, light to deep, and the dermatologist recommended we try that as well.

The doc also said, and I've read, that laser treatments can be used to help with acne, but I don't know anyone who has used this method.

Yes, I'd recommend you take your daughter in to be checked out for the acne. We are in the beginning of it, and are hoping for a success story here.

Not my kids--me. The dermatologist prescribed tetracycline (not sure if that's what they do still), I was on it for several years. Cleared up my face, no bad side affects. I won't hesitate to take my kids in if they are unhappy with their skin and I feel they need treatment, because my parents waited too long and tried everything else under the sun first--diet and "natural" treatments--and almost 30 years later I still have scars on my face. They've faded a lot, they aren't pits or anything, but I can still see them.

ETA: This isn't about you, I'm not saying you've waited too long (I reread and realize I might have sounded that way). But my parents should have taken me in earlier and it still annoys me when I think about it.

I have a skin condition that is related to acne called perioral dermatitis. I can't put anything on my face, soap, cleanser, makeup, lotion while I have an outbreak. I have very oily skin and washing with only water has improved my skin so much. I would have thought you were crazy if you had told me this before, it seems like you need soap to get your face clean. I splash with tepid water and apply California Baby calendula cream to the POD. You might try it, it is natural so it definitely can't hurt.