Menu

Is it ever good news when a Dr asks you to come in to discuss results?

Last week I went to the Dr for severe back pain. They took xrays and sent them out (small town so everything is sent out). We've seen a lot of Dr's over the years and never had a call like the one I just got. Dr wants me in first thing tomorrow morning to discuss the results but the nurse wouldn't tell me anything. I've never been called to come in to discuss anything, much less with the nurse flat out asking me would I prefer to come in tomorrow morning or afternoon? This clinic is normally booked for 1-2 weeks and your lucky to get in in 3 days or less. Unless its bad you don't get in quickly, I've called up feeling half dead and been told I have to go to the ER (no urgent care here) because they are booked. It can just be to say "your fine!" right? I'm worried because my grandmother had some degenerative back disease and I have osteopenia, I don't want to end up like my grandmother hunched over in pain in her 50's.

I have had it happen. They called me once and said I had to come in immediately. My grandmother had just passed away that morning, so I explained that I was in the midst of a family emergency and asked if they could tell me on the phone; the nurse said no. I rushed in there thinking I must be dying. Turns out that the results had been inconclusive and they needed me to give another urine sample. It was ridiculous.

Best wishes to you on getting good results.

I would imagine he is wanting to go over options and next steps with you. It is hard not to worry, but worrying won't change anything. At least you will get some answers soon.

:iagree: I just think the doc has a plan of treatment especially since it is back pain. I know I went for meetings like that with my back.

I have had that come in now to discuss test results. It was simply that. The doctor needed to discuss the results. The nurse wasn't allowed to give results over the phone, good or bad. In my case, it was good. Scared the &*^% out of me though! Perhaps they had been saving a slot for discussing results that come in. They knew the testing was due back.

Yes, it can be. I had a cancer scare this time last year. After my biopsy I was to go in for a discussion of the results. They wouldn't tell me anything on the phone and naturally I was a wreck. It turned out to be nothing. While that was certainly a relief I do wish they had given me some kind of indication that I could calm down.

Since it's back pain, it's probably easier to discuss the results and options in person than over the phone. In person, he can show you the areas of concern on your x-rays or scans.

I got the call back that included bring your spouse. I suspect that one is never good. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, it can be. I had a cancer scare this time last year. After my biopsy I was to go in for a discussion of the results. They wouldn't tell me anything on the phone and naturally I was a wreck. It turned out to be nothing. While that was certainly a relief I do wish they had given me some kind of indication that I could calm down.

Wow. What a rotten thing to do to you!!! :angry:

I think more and more doctors are doing that as a way to up revenue. :glare:

:iagree:

We left a doctor over this finally. They made dh come in for his routine bloodwork to "discuss." He was all worried for two weeks. Turned out he needed more Vit. D. You know, like every other person on the planet since they changed the guidelines. When the PA got him in there, she was like, "I don't know why they made you come in." Really?!? Money, clearly money.

I think more and more doctors are doing that as a way to up revenue. :glare:

:iagree: Try to reassure yourself with that thought.

I freaked out 2 years ago when I received a call that I needed to come in as soon as possible to discuss blood results. You know what it was?

My vit D was still low, so she wanted me to continue taking supplements. Seriously!!! :glare: My dh took off work so I could get in first thing in the AM, to be told I needed to continue to take my vitamins. :glare: I was shocked and furious, and told her so.

I hope your visit is no big deal, but gives you some answers for your back pain. :grouphug:

:iagree:

We left a doctor over this finally. They made dh come in for his routine bloodwork to "discuss." He was all worried for two weeks. Turned out he needed more Vit. D. You know, like every other person on the planet since they changed the guidelines. When the PA got him in there, she was like, "I don't know why they made you come in." Really?!? Money, clearly money.

:lol: I just read your post, after posting mine. Vitamin D strikes again. :lol: My doctor said she didn't know why I had been so worried, why I would assume something was wrong. :confused: :glare:

:lol: I just read your post, after posting mine. Vitamin D strikes again. :lol: My doctor said she didn't know why I had been so worried, why I would assume something was wrong. :confused: :glare:

They should just tell you that you'll have low Vit. D before they even test. It's a good bet!

That's what I think. Surely it cannot be so difficult to just tell you over the phone if that is what you want.

I wouldn't have thought it except that the doctor refused to tell dh his results over the phone. He had to drive 1.5 hours to the doctor, pay for an office appointment and drive 1.5 hours home to be told the results. Which were nothing different than what the doctor said it would probably be prior to the tests. :glare: