Menu

Has anyone checked out this writing challenge?

Saddlemomma

http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/ is a national writing challenge for the month of November where kids and adults write a novel in 30 days.

While I think my dd and I are too late to begin this, they provide excellent free noveling workbooks to do in preparation for your story writing during the month. There are 3 levels of workbooks: elementary, middle, and high school.

You simply download the workbook of your choice in a PDF format and go. The kids type directly into the workbooks for most pages and then they have a wonderful outline to actually write a novel.

I downloaded the elementary workbook and plan to do this through the month of November with my dd, and then have her write her story during December.

Now that I know about this program, next year I'll be prepared to do the workbook in October and join other participants online in the actual challenge.

You aren't at all too late. Just set a reasonable goal for the amount of time you have. We do it every year. There is even a social group here at TWTM for NaNoers.

So are you supposed to do the workbook within the same month you're writing the story? I only ask because my dd hates to write and it's a struggle.

I started her on the wkbk today and she grumbled at first, but seems to be enjoying the first part (her inner editor). However, the wkbk is 126 pgs, and I can't imagine her doing those assignments PLUS writing the story all in 30 days.

Can you give me some advice and tell me how you approach it? Thanks.

You don't have to do the workbook. It's fun, and well-written, but not necessary. Someone here had a link to a Nano lapbook that we did last year with some of the workbook pages/ideas. It's just a way to get them organized and do some planning before they write. Go ahead and jump right in to a story if you want - my girls have been considering plots &characters for months and can't wait to start even though we're not doing the workbook at all this year. Some of it is meant for afterward - editing and such.