Menu

"I have ownership of your children".

I live in Texas. When I homeschooled, I had a job *at* local elementary schools providing before and after school care through the YMCA. I was the first non custodial point of contact each day, and the last.

I got there one day and the school was on "lock down." It turns out that a step Dad had killed a mother of 2 of the students, and he was still not apprehended. The kids had been at the school when it happened. Now, I only knew that because a teacher felt it was important that I knew. She mentioned that the students were going home with a notice about the lock down. I went to the front office (mind you, I was fingerprinted, background checked and vetted by the YMCA prior to hiring.) I had been there several months. I worked on campus, with permission. I was going to have *supervisory and care responsibility* over 26 students. I was going to be the one "open" door throughout the afternoon and until 6:30 pm. I asked to see a copy of the letter that was going home with students. After much drama on the part of the staff, AP and Principal, seeing that letter was DENIED.

I quit the next day.

Sorry that happened to you, Joanne.

If it helps, many YMCA before/after school workers feel like they are not a part of the staff on a public school campus. It is seen like this from the top down too... sharing the letter to a non-certificated staff member (YMCA). I worked at public schools and the before/after school staff were treated like this often.

Sorry that happened to you, Joanne.

If it helps, many YMCA before/after school workers feel like they are not a part of the staff on a public school campus. It is seen like this from the top down too... sharing the letter to a non-certificated staff member (YMCA). I worked at public schools and the before/after school staff were treated like this often.

Yes. I was aware of the disenfranchisement. But the absurdity of keeping power/control over safety that day was legend.

Coming back to add that the staff member (a teacher) who did tell me did so deliberately because she knew how the top down worked and that I'd be at risk.

<SNIP> This is also in addition to the school's rule that all incoming students are not allowed to talk on campus to another student for any reason at all during the first 3 weeks at school.<SNIP>

ummm, what? :001_huh: That is crazy.

ummm, what? :001_huh: That is crazy.

Yup, I agree. Plus every infraction earns you another day at the school. My youngest has ADD. He can't sit still and be quiet for an HOUR, never mind an entire day locked indoors on campus.

They had lots of crazy rules for the alternative school. You might as well lock these kids up in juvie; they'd probably have more freedom there than at school. :glare:

I would not have been happy either but while the school does not have "ownership" of your children they are considered in loco parentis. Poor wording on the part of the principal for sure, but that is essentially the legal case when your child is in ps.
:iagree:In a way, he does have "ownership." Perhaps he was saying this to reassure parents, to let them know that he takes in loco parentis -- in the place of the parents -- very seriously.

You could give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that's what he meant. Or, you could call him and ask what he meant, exactly.

In our former school, it would have been a less benign meaning. They said outright, and told the kids that now that they were in school, the teachers and principal had more say over rules and their lives than families and parents, both in and out of school, and that in case of a conflict (in or out of school) to follow school rules, not parents. They were very particular about guns (we are in an upper class suburban area, not a gang area or violent area); they were not to even say, 'gun' or use their fingers to play guns at home, and Mom and Dad didn't have the authority, apparently, to say differently.

Needless to say, since my kids are Nerf armed to the teeth and DS the elder owns a BB gun, but hates violating rules this presented a conflict, resolved when I met with principal and teachers and explained that primary rule-making, at home or school, resided with ME. If they wanted easy compliance with homework, dress codes, and behavioral policies, they had better respect ME because my children behaved at school with MY support from home, which they would not have if they undermined the family.

:001_huh: Are you serious? Do they really think they can dictate OUR rules in OUR homes? Good for you for sticking up for yourself!

Parents and children don't like decision but were told it didn't matter. We told younger dd she can come back to hsing if she wants but it is her choice. The term was used in context of it being the principal's decision. And yes,the school is 99.5%white. Rural,upper to lower middle class mostly.

Well, then... :toetap05: His statement, made in that too-bad-you-mere-parents-don't-like-it context, would definitely torque my cork.

My husband would have to say something. He couldn't let that one pass.

And what I love about him :glare: is that he is so stinkin' TACTFUL, like it's in his DNA or something, I don't know how he does it. I would stand there fuming, well-aware that if I open my mouth, my foot will find its way in. He is so smooooooth, but he makes his point and gets his way, usually.

Sorry, off-track ramblings, but I'm thinking about what a tactful follow-up might look like, and I know that's someone else's department. ;)

And around here, where the schools are not 99.5% white, that statement would have triggered a riot AT THE MEETING, and I would have been just as offended as anybody.

Did anyone stand up and challenge him? He needs to be put in his place and be reminded that (1) nobody owns the children ... they are not property and (2) He has stewardship, which, of course, implies that he is answerable to you, the parents. People like that need to be pushed of their lofty pedestals of their own making. They need people to not be sheep, but rams.

:iagree::iagree: Well said, Dirty Ethel Rackham!