Menu

Quick question on HST+

I just started using HST+ and would like to be able to send our reports as PDF's to our school for my son's portfolio. Is this just a HST Online feature :(? Am I going to have to print any reports I want to send and then scan them each week in order to send them electronically? Still loving the features but this could be a bit of a hassle :tongue_smilie:!

I do not use HST, but I do like to create documents into pdfs often. I use a program called Bullzip, that acts as a printer on your computer. When you go to print a document, you can select Bullzip as the printer and instead of printing it creates a pdf. So it is a print to pdf option. It works on Windows:

http://download.cnet.com/BullZip-PDF-Printer/3000-18497_4-85827.html

I do not use HST, but I do like to create documents into pdfs often. I use a program called Bullzip, that acts as a printer on your computer. When you go to print a document, you can select Bullzip as the printer and instead of printing it creates a pdf. So it is a print to pdf option. It works on Windows:

http://download.cnet.com/BullZip-PDF-Printer/3000-18497_4-85827.html

I will go into the HST website and see if there is a way to do it directly though their software but I have a feeling I can't. I did not see the option anywhere. If I cannot do it through them, this is definitely a good option. I checked for reviews on Bullzip and they have some decent reviews. I would also be saving on ink, paper, and space (unnecessary filing :glare:), besides time ;). Thank you for letting me know about Bullzip :)!

Keep in mind one needs a PDF "writer" software to create PDF files which is quite costly. So I wouldn't expect that to be an feature on HST + as most people won't have that software. A workaround like the Bullzip thing some one mentioned is your best bet.

Keep in mind one needs a PDF "writer" software to create PDF files which is quite costly. So I wouldn't expect that to be an feature on HST + as most people won't have that software. A workaround like the Bullzip thing some one mentioned is your best bet.

It is mentioned as a feature for those using HST Online but I am not sure how that works and I don't intend to use HST online anyway. I prefer HST+ and was the reason why I bought it at the time. I do not want our info stored on someone else's server. Anyway, I am rambling now :lol:! It looks like Bullzip is the way we will be going :). Thank you for letting me know. I had no idea about the PDF software issue.

I use CutePDF Writer. It is free to download. When you go to print your document, it will show up in your list of printers. You just choose it, and it will ask for the name and location of your document, and it will save as a PDF file.

Thank you Tracy! I'll check it out :).

Warning to anyone that might decide to download CutePDF. During the download process they loaded Funmoods on my computer :glare:. It took over my search engine, became my toolbar, and was very annoying. First I uninstalled it from "My Computer -> local disk (C ) -> Program Files". I also completely removed it from my "Tools -> Add Ons -> Extensions". I then used the instructions found here:

http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-funmoods-toolbar

...to completely remove it. I did not download a new antispyware program but will just use my own and do a full system scan after posting this. I removed mine using the "On Firefox" instructions found in the link above. I still had to go back and reset other instances of FunMoods found in my configurations settings, when the toolbar disappeared yet Firefox was still opening Funmoods :glare:. It seems to be gone now.

Anyway, posting this for anyone that ends up with Funmoods and wants it OFF THEIR COMPUTER :glare: like I did.

Edited by Guest

Warning to anyone that might decide to download CutePDF. During the download process they loaded Funmoods on my computer :glare:. It took over my search engine, became my toolbar, and was very annoying. First I uninstalled it from "My Computer -> local disk (C ) -> Program Files". I also completely removed it from my "Tools -> Add Ons -> Extensions". I then used the instructions found here:

http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-funmoods-toolbar

...to completely remove it. I did not download a new antispyware program but will just use my own and do a full system scan after posting this. I removed mine using the "On Firefox" instructions found in the link above. I still had to go back and reset other instances of FunMoods found in my configurations settings, when the toolbar disappeared, but Firefox was still opening Funmoods :glare:. It seems to be gone now.

Anyway, posting this for anyone that ends up with Funmoods and wants it OFF THEIR COMPUTER :glare: like I did.

Oh, wow. Sorry about that! I have had it for a long time, and I didn't have that problem when I downloaded it. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh, wow. Sorry about that! I have had it for a long time, and I didn't have that problem when I downloaded it. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem! It's the risks one takes when downloading free programs ;). I still like CutePDF and definitely kept that. It's happened to me once or twice before with something I downloaded. This one was just a bit more aggressive and difficult to get rid of. This solution still saved me tons :)!

Actually, it is much more aggressive than I though. It's back :glare:! My antivirus/ antispyware did not detect anything :glare: so I downloaded SpyHunter (recommended in the link I posted previously). SpyHunter detected infections I didn't even know I had, but did nothing to fix them unless I bought the upgrade. I uninstalled it. I just downloaded and I am trying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Their free version seems to have good reviews, even if you don't upgrade. Anyway, free or bought, I am now on the market for a good antispyware program. Hopefully this one is it! As they say, everything happens for a reason, so I guess something good is coming out of this after all :).

I like Spybot Search and Destroy and Anti-Malware. Make sure you run whichever one you're running in safe mode. You'll have better results that way. I've found that one will catch things the other didn't and vice versa.

Thank you for this! I did actually end up downloading two different programs, after tons of research and reading the logic behind it, so definitely good advice :). I wish I had noticed your suggestion about running them on safe mode, sooner! Ah well! After battling with this a big part of the night and all day, I think I can safely say everything is resolved :).

Okay, I am never suggesting CutePDF again!:leaving:

Look at the bright side! At least in happened to me and I know you well enough to know that you would not intentionally infect my computer ;).

So how did you know this extra stuff had been downloaded if your anti-virus software didn't detect it? I am thinking I should be looking for it on my computer.
Sorry I took so long to reply. It took a while to get everything straightened out. OK, first of all, to answer your question. As soon as I downloaded CutePDF, this toolbar appeared in my browser (I use Mozilla Firefox). The image is from the website I linked in a prior post:

funmoods-virus.png

Since I clicked and allowed the download, my program just granted them access to the Internet and basically gave me the option of blocking them. Of course, since I was downloading the program I did not. If I remember correctly it also tried to install the Bing bar (I got rid of that months ago when it somehow got loaded on one of our computers) but I rejected that. I did not see anything asking me about Funmoods though.

Once Funmoods took over, it was doing the searches for me, instead of Google :glare:. Removing the toolbar was no problem. I have done that before. I also removed it from the add-ons, but it somehow kept coming back on, every time I reopened Firefox.

After not getting too far with the link I posted previously, I came across this, from Mozilla:

How do I get rid of malware?

If your anti-virus and anti-spyware software hasn't detected malware, scan your system with other free malware scanning programs. You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware and make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.

Warning: Anti-virus and anti-spyware software may sometimes generate false positives. Consider quarantining suspicious files rather than deleting them.

Found Here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-caused-malware

First I downloaded Malwarebytes (as I mentioned previously). It caught all the funmoods infections and removed them. This was with the recommended quick scan. I decided to do a full scan and at that point it detected more funmoods infections and a Trojan :glare:. At this point, I didn't know what to believe, so I just decided to uninstall CutePDF altogether. I then also downloaded SuperAntispyware and ran a quick scan at first. This picked up many tracking cookies and removed them but nothing from funmoods.

At the same time, I started looking for a reliable PDF converter, and was prepared to pay for it (not Adobe prices though :tongue_smilie:!). First I came across Quick PDF (I think!) and then I stumbled on this:

- PrimoPDF:

http://download.cnet.com/PrimoPDF/3000-18497_4-10264577.html

PrimoPDF appeared to have pretty good reviews and CNet appeared to be pretty reliable (after some searches I did). Anyway, I downloaded both but after testing Primo (Primo is free) on one of my reports, I was hooked. I uninstalled the other and then ran a scan with both spyware programs I mentioned above.

I did a full scan with SuperAntispyware (I hadn't before) and this time it detected more tracking cookies and a Trojan. Now, I realized that I should have ran a full scan with SuperA before, because I did not know now whether this appeared before or after the new downloads, but after a closer look, SuperA gave a message stating that the Trojan had been detected by another spyware program and quarantined. At that point I knew that I had not downloaded any nasties with the two PDF converters I downloaded after CutePDF.

OK, so now I have reached the point where, I have cleaned my computer, I have found a good and safe PDF converter (at least so it seems, so far), last step I decide to go back and check my browser configurations, figuring that funmoods should not be showing anymore. Wrong!!!! For some reason, and even though it had been removed, it was still showing up in my configurations and no matter what I did (modify/ reset), it just reappeared as soon as I reopened Firefox. It was also still interfering with my searches, even though I had brought back Google. At that point I was going to put on my nasty face :angry: and give Funmoods (yes, they have a website) a piece of my mind, but then it hit me to try to reset Mozilla. After doing that everything was gone, finally!

Sorry for the loooongwinded post. It was the detailed version of the story :lol:. I figured I would give you my story and you can decide what you feel you need to look into.

Edited by Guest

Okay, I am never suggesting CutePDF again!:leaving:

I've installed CutePDF several times over the years and never had a virus. I'm wondering where the OP downloaded CutePDF from? There may be a nefarious site out there listing it with a virus attached.

Glad the OP got it all worked out though! I write to PDFs a LOT. Good program to have on your computer in general. :)

ETA: I'm using version 2.8, and it looks like people are complaining about 3.0, though I don't see your issue in the complaints. Most complain about ask.com toolbar being installed, even if you say no. I did have the ask.com toolbar on my computer, but I don't know if CutePDF did it or another program. I've now uninstalled ask.com toolbar. I'll probably look at other programs instead of upgrading CutePDF.

Edited by boscopup

I've installed CutePDF several times over the years and never had a virus. I'm wondering where the OP downloaded CutePDF from? There may be a nefarious site out there listing it with a virus attached.

Glad the OP got it all worked out though! I write to PDFs a LOT. Good program to have on your computer in general. :)

ETA: I'm using version 2.8, and it looks like people are complaining about 3.0, though I don't see your issue in the complaints. Most complain about ask.com toolbar being installed, even if you say no. I did have the ask.com toolbar on my computer, but I don't know if CutePDF did it or another program. I've now uninstalled ask.com toolbar. I'll probably look at other programs instead of upgrading CutePDF.

I think I used Tracy's link but I could be wrong. I was looking for reviews on the program, in order to decide between CutePDF and Bullzip, so I may have downloaded from another site. You could be right!

The Bing bar also downloaded, even though I said no, but that came off quickly. The funmoods bar was different :glare:. I have had Ask.com load on my computer also, and have easily gotten rid of that too.

I don't know what happened exactly, but either way, I documented what I did for anyone else that may have a problem with funmoods taking over their browser. I did mention I liked CutePDF but was concerned at that point and was ready to pay to buy a license if it meant getting something that would not give me problems. Fortunately, I came across Primo and the one I downloaded seems to be clean. I am keeping it and making sure I don't go looking again :lol:.

It taught me a lesson not to rely on my spyware though, which was a good thing ;). I now have extra protection.

Look at the bright side! At least in happened to me and I know you well enough to know that you would not intentionally infect my computer ;).

I just wanted to say that I hope this prior comment of mine was not misunderstood. I had had very little sleep at the time, when I was typing that post, and was nodding off. What I meant by it was that since we were using TOG for a while, I have come across Tracy on many occasions by posting in TOG related threads, and I just wanted to assure her that I knew she was just trying to be helpful.

boscopup, I did a brief search of my own and found people complaining about being unable to get rid of the funmoods bar. For some reason they have not linked it to CutePDF but when asked to post what was showing up on their computers, I noticed they had CutePDF on there. Two had version 2.8 and at least one had 3. Keep in mind also that not everyone worries about things like this. Since funmoods provides emoticons, many people may be using it as a toolbar not realizing what they may be getting along with it. Just wanted to post these clarifications.

My intention was to post this for anyone that was dealing with what I was dealing with and wanted the problem dealt with. I had no intention of making Tracy look bad and I hope she realizes that. My mind usually goes on problem solving mode in cases like this though, so I hope some of my words did not come off the wrong way.

Tracy :grouphug:! Please don't feel bad. I could have recommended something and have that happen. It wasn't your fault!

I had no intention of making Tracy look bad and I hope she realizes that. My mind usually goes on problem solving mode in cases like this though, so I hope some of my words did not come off the wrong way.

Not at all! Well, I do feel a little bad that I recommended something that caused a problem. But I don't feel bad about anything that has been said in this thread. Thank you for sharing in detail what has happened and how you have remedied it.

Not at all! Well, I do feel a little bad that I recommended something that caused a problem. But I don't feel bad about anything that has been said in this thread. Thank you for sharing in detail what has happened and how you have remedied it.

Everything happens for a reason. I now have double and triple protection on my computer. Believe me, you helped :)!

Sorry I am reviving this :tongue_smilie:but I just wanted to post an update on the outcome. After SuperAntispyware started interfering with my existing spyware program (turning it off :glare:), I ended up uninstalling it. Today, while running MalwareBytes, my program jumped in to point out a blocked Trojan. I let MalwareBytes finish running and after their programs said I had no infections, I ran my own program. My program caught 3 infections and a spyware cookie. After this I also uninstalled MalwareBytes. I don't think you can win with these things :glare: so I am sticking with what I have used for the past 3 years. I kept PrimoPDF for now. Hopefully I won't start having problems with that too!