Menu

Hypothetical question...

Call or not?  

1. 1. Call or not?

• Well yeah
    • No way
    • Other
    • That's just mean to even think of it....

**The dog lives outside on a cable I was told, older than I thought which makes it even sadder. Has been 'getting away' from the yard when 'let out' and slips collar on line (would explain why friends have seen him multiple times), but strikes me as odd since he never leaves when I let him out. He minds me and stays right with me. Was not fixed "so we could breed him, but never found a female and just haven't got it done" :thumbdown:....

Poll to follow...

You found a dog traveling near a busy road. Not in terrible shape, but obviously lacking in care. Stinks to high heaven, nails curled under so long that he's walking on them, teeth in terrible need of some assistance, no collar, no microchip, bad dandruff, coat dry and brittle due to poor nutrition and wormy. Come to find out your friends had seen him 4 days before you found him on an even busier road and almost picked him up, but were running late somewhere and he wasn't there later. They had seen him previously on other occasions as well.

Another friend calls and states that a sign was up this evening...5 days after you picked him up. You know they never called the pound as you called daily. They never put an ad in the paper (you looked).

So what would you do? Call the people or pretend your friend never told you about the sign? Unfortunately all my friends are rescuers, but also animal lovers so I know what they would say...

Edited by CountryGirl2

A month or so ago, there was a beautiful sheepdog roaming the neighborhood. The fact that he made it to our home really worried me. I posted on the local fb page with some other people. I was really sad that the dog was in such sad condition. He was terribly matted and filthy. He and his buddy (who I didn't see) were getting out regularly.

Well, several people posted about keeping him, taking care of him so his owners would know how he should be, asking the people to take him off their hands, etc. One of my suggestions was to ask if they needed any help or would like to rehome the dog. The woman was terribly distraught when she read the messages. SHe couldn't believe people were talking about taking her dog. As it turns out, she was 8months pregnant, struggling, hubby working a lot, and they kept trying to fix the fence so he couldn't get out but he kept getting out.

Now, I still wonder (a little) why he was so matted (not that I have never had a dog get a few mats). But I can see it being hard to do everything in their situation. I suggested maybe someone could help with the fence issue. I also said that my main concern was that from her house to mine was the same as from her house to the main street where people go about 60mph. I wasn't trying to be mean.

Anyway, all that to say that not everyone knows how to best take care of a dog. I just can't imagine someone taking my dog because she's not in perfect condition (and she isn't btw...her nose is scaley and she isn't going to the groomer until Friday, for example). And maybe you could give some tips (gently of course); but keeping someone's dog when you know who the owner is is akin to stealing, imo, unless you go through appropriate measures.

ETA: I would probably contact animal control letting them know of the situation (again) and that now there is a flyer. Would THEY call the people if they saw the flyer? Could you "foster" the dog until this is resolved so it isn't in the shelter?

Edited by 2J5M9K

This is what God made Animal Control for. You take the animal there and let the professionals who can enforce laws, administer medical care do their job.

There's a reason they aren't calling animal control you see? Seriously.

:iagree:

No way would I return the poor thing to his previous "owners." :mad:

I hope he finds a wonderful new owner who will actually take care of him.

Jackie

This is what God made Animal Control for. You take the animal there and let the professionals who can enforce laws, administer medical care do their job.

I can afford to do it myself. Our animal control (which I volunteer at) has a minimum of three dogs to a cage. They are always in the news because of the overflow[problem. They want to be a no kill, but they aren't capable to do so. They are always over capacity. There are four other rescues here locally and every one of them have been turning dogs away. It's awful...

We already had an appointment (two weeks out) for this dog to be fixed, microchipped, rabies and teeth cleaned. I've already done his nails, bathed him, put him on a higher quality food and vaccinated him...

And I'm not saying I plan to keep him...I just feel that if a person loved an animal you would think signs would go up fairly quickly when it went missing...and who lets a small dog like that live outside? He marks in the house because he's not been fixed. I'm sure he doesn't live indoors and it seems they have no issues letting him roam along busy streets...considering he stays with me all the time and in the yard when we go out. He did get under my fence when the kids let him out (not realizing he could fit) and he came to the front door as that's where we normally let him out from...

Edited by CountryGirl2

In a lot of places, you pay a fine to drop an animal off at the pound. Even if it's not your dog. And, in our city at least, we have had zero luck getting them to come catch strays.

If you think the dog has been mistreated and would have kept the dog if no one had claimed him, I think I would call the shelter and let them know that someone put up a flier looking for the dog. I would take the dog and the info to the shelter, let them know that I would be interested in adopting the dog if the owner decides not to pay the fees to claim it (our shelter charged boarding and vet fees to owners of dogs who had been injured and/ or needed to be cleaned up to be safely put into the shelter's general population), and let the shelter contact the owners. It is my understanding that most owners who have mistreated their dogs will just surrender the dog for adoption rather than pay the recovery and care fees. However, if the dog has been missing for a while and its lack of care is due to its being loose for a long time, the owners will claim the animal, pay the fees, and happily bring the animal home.

I have to admit, though, that if a dog appeared neglected to me I would have a hard time letting it go back to the owners. But it is their dog.

I had to leave my dog in the care of a roommate for 3 months. He had never even tried to get out of our yard or anything. I had to go work in MA (from TX) for 3 months. He got out a couple of times while I was gone, had to be quarantined one of them because he jumped on someone and scratched them. He got out again the night before I came home. First thing I did was start calling the shelter. Described the dog, the collar (he had his rabies tags from the vet), shelter told me they didn't have him, but I could come look. He was there. Collar hanging on the gate. Almost unrecognizable- skinny, neglected, nasty looking. Sometimes it's not the owner.

I know that the chances are that it is the owners, but you never know.

Well, you probably need to call then and at minimum ask about how the dog was lost so you can sleep at night.

This dog could have been gone all summer and they are just following up on leads. Like up thread people mentioned weird situations that could be happening as well..who knows what the story is?

Then again, you might call and they come across as difficult, uncaring...

You aren't gonna know until you call.

You can always block your number or call from a payphone.

That's the only middle ground I can think of, I'm sorry you are stuck like this. Maybe a phone call will sway you solid and settle it.

I like the suggestion of taking him to Animal Control best. In our city, you pay a "donation" to drop off a pet at the Humane Society, but not at Animal Control. There is also always the possibility of an alternative scenario - perhaps he was newly adopted/rescued and escaped and ran pretty far away. I know it's not the most likely scenario, but there's always that possibility...

Well, you probably need to call then and at minimum ask about how the dog was lost so you can sleep at night.

This dog could have been gone all summer and they are just following up on leads. Like up thread people mentioned weird situations that could be happening as well..who knows what the story is?

Then again, you might call and they come across as difficult, uncaring...

You aren't gonna know until you call.

You can always block your number or call from a payphone.

That's the only middle ground I can think of, I'm sorry you are stuck like this. Maybe a phone call will sway you solid and settle it.

:iagree:

You should call.

Our dog was lost for 6 days a few years ago.

I roamed the neighborhood day and night calling

him and whistling and asking everyone for several

days (I would walk until 2 in the morning sometimes).

After a few days I put up signs. Then several people

called me telling me they had seen him.

When someone a few blocks away finally caught him

in their back yard and we got him back, he was filthy, matted,

disgusting. He had several caked-with-dirt

cuts on his body and when I took

him to the vet (immediately, without even going home first) we saw

there was a huge red bruise all over his body. The vet said

he probably got hit by a car (gently enough not to kill him)

or a bike. He smelled gross too and looked a disaster.

Anyway, I wouldn't have liked it if someone found my dog

in that state and assumed I had done all that stuff to him.

We were so glad to have him back. He has been with us for

14 years and we would have been devastated if we never

got him back. I would have thought he was dead.

I think you should call the owners. It's horrible not knowing

if your dog is dead or not.

he's not been fixed

This makes me uneasy, along with his condition. I wonder if they were using him *just* for backyard breeding.

I agree that not knowing if your beloved pet is living or not. There could be children involved, too. However, the dog is in bad shape and not treated well. Ugh. Okay, I would get the dog fixed up, actually fixed, then call the number. If they want the dog back they can pay you back for the vet bill.

Hmmmm..... I'm mean I guess. I can't say with certainty I'd call. If I did, I'd call from a pay phone and say that I might have the dog. Can you tell me how it looks? Ask about it.... and ask if it's microchipped.... Hmmm.... I mean, my dog wouldn't look that horrible, period. The long nails could be if the person is old, sometimes they don't get the nails clipped.... Hmmmmmmm (Ask how long the dog was out and then remember how the dog looked when you got it....)

You should call.

Our dog was lost for 6 days a few years ago.

I roamed the neighborhood day and night calling

him and whistling and asking everyone for several

days (I would walk until 2 in the morning sometimes).

After a few days I put up signs. Then several people

called me telling me they had seen him.

When someone a few blocks away finally caught him

in their back yard and we got him back, he was filthy, matted,

disgusting. He had several caked-with-dirt

cuts on his body and when I took

him to the vet (immediately, without even going home first) we saw

there was a huge red bruise all over his body. The vet said

he probably got hit by a car (gently enough not to kill him)

or a bike. He smelled gross too and looked a disaster.

Anyway, I wouldn't have liked it if someone found my dog

in that state and assumed I had done all that stuff to him.

We were so glad to have him back. He has been with us for

14 years and we would have been devastated if we never

got him back. I would have thought he was dead.

I think you should call the owners. It's horrible not knowing

if your dog is dead or not.

but the OP said his nails and teeth were bad, thats borderline abuse/neglect not getting hit by a car.

This makes me uneasy, along with his condition. I wonder if they were using him *just* for backyard breeding.

I agree that not knowing if your beloved pet is living or not. There could be children involved, too. However, the dog is in bad shape and not treated well. Ugh. Okay, I would get the dog fixed up, actually fixed, then call the number. If they want the dog back they can pay you back for the vet bill.

I hope hes not for breeding, some people dont realize there ARE spay/neuter places that are discounted.

Hmmmm..... I'm mean I guess. I can't say with certainty I'd call. If I did, I'd call from a pay phone and say that I might have the dog. Can you tell me how it looks? Ask about it.... and ask if it's microchipped.... Hmmm.... I mean, my dog wouldn't look that horrible, period. The long nails could be if the person is old, sometimes they don't get the nails clipped.... Hmmmmmmm (Ask how long the dog was out and then remember how the dog looked when you got it....)

I would not say " I have fido, can you come get him?" If anything id have them describe him. Believe if or not, there are people who steal other peoples dogs by saying things like that.

I think I'd keep him or take him to the animal shelter (and let them know you're interested in adopting him if that's true). Actually, I volunteer with a no-kill rescue group, so if it were me I'd take him there.

It's the curled nails that influence me the most. That's pure neglect IMO. And it's also an indication he hasn't been on the loose for long. A dog who'd been roaming on his on for awhile would have naturally worn down those nails, at least a little. They've been growing a long time w/o the dog being on any hard surfaces like concrete or pavement. And of course w/o anyone caring enough to spend a few minutes with him and a pair of clippers.

Sorry, I would keep the dog, but I also wouldn't relinquish it to animal control either. The dog's welfare is more important than its previous owner's possible "feelings" or "rights," and there's too much of a risk that Animal Control would either put the dog down or return it to its original owners once you told them.

Around here, Animal Control won't step in unless it's a CLEAR case of animal abuse and neglect. We have a dog a few houses down who has never been off of its HEAVY chain, does not always have visible food and water (he is chained UNDER a garage door and the food and water are inside at times etc.) and A.C. has been called on more than one occasion. In the 14 yrs. we've lived here we've seen them over there but they've done nothing to help the dog. They're really just concerned about dog fighting around here, it seems.

I do understand the flip side though. I have a cat who has some pretty bad skin allergies. Her fur looks beautiful but her skin looks awful. She is being treated and cared for, but we just can't seem to key in on something that will totally eradicate the issue. It comes and goes. The difference here is, if she were to ever get out, I would have up signs everywhere but I would also be all over Animal Control so they knew I was looking for her.

Other. I would have called the pound right from the beginning.

I would have if I didnt volunteer there and know how it is already....i've been on all sides of the pet lost issue...so I can understand all your point of views. This situation just doesnt sit right with me. I plan to make a call though....

Sorry, I would keep the dog, but I also wouldn't relinquish it to animal control either. The dog's welfare is more important than its previous owner's possible "feelings" or "rights," and there's too much of a risk that Animal Control would either put the dog down or return it to its original owners once you told them.

Around here, Animal Control won't step in unless it's a CLEAR case of animal abuse and neglect. We have a dog a few houses down who has never been off of its HEAVY chain, does not always have visible food and water (he is chained UNDER a garage door and the food and water are inside at times etc.) and A.C. has been called on more than one occasion. In the 14 yrs. we've lived here we've seen them over there but they've done nothing to help the dog. They're really just concerned about dog fighting around here, it seems.

I do understand the flip side though. I have a cat who has some pretty bad skin allergies. Her fur looks beautiful but her skin looks awful. She is being treated and cared for, but we just can't seem to key in on something that will totally eradicate the issue. It comes and goes. The difference here is, if she were to ever get out, I would have up signs everywhere but I would also be all over Animal Control so they knew I was looking for her.

Exactly what I mean about Animal Control...it's just bad here right now. And who doesn't have the means to fix the little dude or atleast buy him a collar? This is an older dog too. He is most likely not younger than 5 based on his teeth condition. That long and he's still not fixed? I even called local vets and no one had anyone report him missing. Most people in this area know about the low cost spay neuter clinic here. He would have been cheap to fix. And they never checked or called the pound. I called the girl at the front desk and she said no one had been in or called about that breed of dog.

Backyard breeding is rampant here...hence why the pound is SOSOO full. Even small dogs are not getting adopted.

I will be making a call. I've got some questions and enough info to start with.

Maybe they'd be willing to sell the dog to you?

Would someone from the place you volunteer be willing to call them saying that the dog has been found but is in horrible condition? There's a reason the owners never called there looking for him. Maybe if this person suggests that Animal Control could find it a new home where it will be better cared for, the owner would agree to that. They may be afraid of being charged with neglect. You never know.

I hope that the Hypothetical family gets to keep this dog. He's lucky they found him. :001_smile:

Any chance the dog has been lost long term and they just put up signs every couple of weeks at this point? You occasionally hear these stories where a dog is found after months and months on their own. Though, I agree, the dog didn't seem to be avoiding capture or anything...

Any chance the dog has been lost long term and they just put up signs every couple of weeks at this point? You occasionally hear these stories where a dog is found after months and months on their own. Though, I agree, the dog didn't seem to be avoiding capture or anything...

**The dog lives outside on a cable I was told, older than I thought which makes it even sadder. Has been 'getting away' from the yard when 'let out' and slips his collar on line (would explain why friends have seen him multiple times), but strikes me as odd since he never leaves when I let him out. He minds me and stays right with me. Was not fixed "so we could breed him, but never found a female and just haven't got it done" :thumbdown:....

So what are you going to do?.

Speak with my husband first...it just grates my nerves that these people can't even be bothered to clip the dudes little nails so his toes aren't turning at odd angles. Seriously...took me like a minute when he got here. Vets will do it for less than $10 as a walk-in. There is no excuse for the fact that they are too lazy to care for him properly...and yes, lets breed him because the pound isn't full enough already with small breeds waiting for homes...:glare:

I can afford to do it myself. Our animal control (which I volunteer at) has a minimum of three dogs to a cage. They are always in the news because of the overflow[problem. They want to be a no kill, but they aren't capable to do so. They are always over capacity. There are four other rescues here locally and every one of them have been turning dogs away. It's awful...

We already had an appointment (two weeks out) for this dog to be fixed, microchipped, rabies and teeth cleaned. I've already done his nails, bathed him, put him on a higher quality food and vaccinated him...

And I'm not saying I plan to keep him...I just feel that if a person loved an animal you would think signs would go up fairly quickly when it went missing...and who lets a small dog like that live outside? He marks in the house because he's not been fixed. I'm sure he doesn't live indoors and it seems they have no issues letting him roam along busy streets...considering he stays with me all the time and in the yard when we go out. He did get under my fence when the kids let him out (not realizing he could fit) and he came to the front door as that's where we normally let him out from...

I say bless you, and don't return him to that torture!

are you willing to keep him?

Absolutely. We had already made the appt to have him 'fixed up', lol. Granted it's two weeks out, but it's made. I find it unfathomable that he lives outside here. The heat is one thing if he's got water and shade, but these little dogs get cold easily. Right now he's buried in his blankets in the crate and it's only 75 in the house....

Wow! Wow! WOW!

I just read your update and I'm just floored. What is WRONG with people? I really pray that you are able to keep him and not return him to that torture. It seems like he is really thriving in your home. :001_smile:

**The dog lives outside on a cable I was told, older than I thought which makes it even sadder. Has been 'getting away' from the yard when 'let out' and slips his collar on line (would explain why friends have seen him multiple times), but strikes me as odd since he never leaves when I let him out. He minds me and stays right with me. Was not fixed "so we could breed him, but never found a female and just haven't got it done" :thumbdown:....

I've kept quiet on purpose but following this thread.

Of course he's not leaving your house. He's getting love and attention. :sad:

I hope your dh tells you to keep him. If not, let's discuss shipping costs to my house.

Absolutely. We had already made the appt to have him 'fixed up', lol. Granted it's two weeks out, but it's made. I find it unfathomable that he lives outside here. The heat is one thing if he's got water and shade, but these little dogs get cold easily. Right now he's buried in his blankets in the crate and it's only 75 in the house....

I don't care about a neglectful owner's rights. I just don't. He's so happy with you. If your dh says no, give me your phone number so I can talk to him.;)

How old is he? I feel so bad he's got to get neutered at an older age. I hope he's not a senior?

I'm so thankful he has a good home with you.

Here is a little update... http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=435362

While I normally have NO problem keeping or rehoming a dog that someone isn't taking care of...I think this situation warranted a little look see into their situation. After speaking with some locals that I know and then finding out that the dogs pics were posted up in various places (granted I felt it was a little late, but from what I understand word of mouth was going round first and little watch crews were out and about looking). I saw his large ad with picture in our local paper as well yesterday...

After talking with them and helping them understand some better choices for their dogs care, I felt that things would be looking up for him there. I told them that I will be calling the vet to make sure he went and that I'm sure I won't find him again on the road...he lives close so I'll be stopping by. I have a couple treats that I had bought for him before he left and I forgot to take, that I plan to drop by this weekend just to check up on them. :D