Menu

Fellow Knitters- I need help...

I am making this scarf.

I am at rows 8 and beyond. When I am purling back and hit a stich that I have yo on the previous row, do I purl that stich grabbing the first part of it, which is behind the left hand needle, or do I purl that stitch by grabbing it from the 2nd part of the yo, which is in front of the needle and to the left, on the left hand needle?

Many thanks if you can help!

Are you wrapping your YOs the right way? It should be with the right side to the front of the needle and left side in back. With proper mounting, you should knit into the front right part of the stitch.

This is assuming you knit in a traditional English or Continental style.

Checked my yo's-I yo from front to back - I knit so that I don't have to change hands when purling= kwim?

You knit continental style? I do and when I yo I bring the yarn under the needle and to the front then over the top of the needle to the back. I usually hold that stitch down on the needle with my right forefinger so it doesn't get lost.

video shows what I mean.

When I knit English style I bring the yarn under the needle and to the front then over the top to the back.

's a video. I hold the yo stitch down with my left thumb to keep from losing it as I knit the next stitch.

HTH!

ETA: After posting and re-reading your post above I think you're taking the yarn over the top of the needle first then under. That would set the stitch in the wrong direction. Try taking the yarn under first then over. It might be a bit fiddly, which is why I hold down the yo with another finger while I work the next stitch, but it should set your yo stitch properly.

Edited by Cinder

I'm glad you got it sorted out! I don't know if you know about it, but knittinghelp.com is how I taught myself to knit. The videos are fabulous, and if you have an Apple device they have an app in the app store with all the videos downloaded to your device for on the go. :)

Edit: I think there is a reason women gathered in groups to knit. It's just so much easier to learn by leaning over and watching someone do it. The site above is the closest thing to that the internet has.

I'm glad you got it sorted out! I don't know if you know about it, but knittinghelp.com is how I taught myself to knit. The videos are fabulous, and if you have an Apple device they have an app in the app store with all the videos downloaded to your device for on the go. :)

Edit: I think there is a reason women gathered in groups to knit. It's just so much easier to learn by leaning over and watching someone do it. The site above is the closest thing to that the internet has.

thanks for the link! My friend in NM used to own a yarn shop- it is so much more fun to knit with someone!

:hurray: Glad you figured it out. I love being able to find videos on youtube. And often there is more than one and you can see different ways knitters do things.

I just wasn't sure what to ask! I had no idea I was yo'ing incorrectly!;) Thanks again!