Menu

It is REALLY hard being a vegan in a house full of carnivores.

I have to keep a VERY strict diet due to health reasons, basically, I'm on a vegan diet, and I had to give up a lot of other things as well. I'm here to tell you that it is very hard, VERY HARD! But, I do it, and I cook their food with a smile on my face. Then I sit and eat my rice, and am sad

Oh geez...here we go, another 'mostly vegan' thread...Denise, do you have your Kevlar? :tongue_smilie::lol:..

Oh boy.:glare: i am extremely close to 100% vegan but I don't need to defend myself here.

I caught the carnivore thing too late. I'm too tired and cranky to care after spending 2.5 hours cooking two separate meals.

At least my vegan eggplant parm was delish. I told nobody to touch it.:tongue_smilie:

I have to keep a VERY strict diet due to health reasons, basically, I'm on a vegan diet, and I had to give up a lot of other things as well. I'm here to tell you that it is very hard, VERY HARD! But, I do it, and I cook their food with a smile on my face. Then I sit and eat my rice, and am sad

I try to keep away from carbs especially while fighting Candida. I "breaded" all my eggplant in almond flour seasoned with vegan parm cheese and italian seasoning. SO GOOD!!!!! Then I grabbed a HUGE handful of everyone else's pasta. :glare: like that made sense.

What I hate to do is cook a meal where I need to taste to make sure everything is spiced right. I hate having to do that now if there is meat in it. It made me cranky.

Oh boy.:glare: i am extremely close to 100% vegan but I don't need to defend myself here.

I caught the carnivore thing too late. I'm too tired and cranky to care after spending 2.5 hours cooking two separate meals.

At least my vegan eggplant parm was delish. I told nobody to touch it.:tongue_smilie:

I tease b/c I lub :001_wub:

I SO know what you mean. I ate vegan for years at a time. DD had an egg allergy that she has MOSTLY grown out of so now I can bake with them. I cannot handle dairy. SO when I was veg I was basically vegan. I was repulsed by any animal flesh. Every now and then I would eat fish or turkey on Thanksgiving, that kind of thing. But I still cooked it, and watched people eat it. It was rough.

I actually was vegan myself, because I felt like *I* could be (mostly) HAPPY and healthy while vegan, whereas my family could not. Do you feel that is why you are vegan and they are not? Or a little? I felt like as a household, my being vegan really made MUCH less of a strain on the industry.

I didn't know you were a vegan, Denise. When did you decide?

We are all omnivores here, but we are able to find and grow good food. Our family are not huge eaters of meat, yet I see how difficult being vegan would be for me. <must not think about it>

I was 100% vegan after my first child but am again since the new year. My feelings of being 100% vegan for life only grow stronger. I have had some non vegan meals but really don't care to now.

The most difficult part is being vegan AND low carb. 80% of my diet is veggies. I love almond flour and DO use eggs from my chickens for bread but am experimenting without. No luck yet.

I was 100% vegan after my first child but am again since the new year. My feelings of being 100% vegan for life only grow stronger. I have had some non vegan meals but really don't care to now.

The most difficult part is being vegan AND low carb. 80% of my diet is veggies. I love almond flour and DO use eggs from my chickens for bread but am experimenting without. No luck yet.

Yes! I was vegetarian, vegan, macrobiotic, at various times through the years. :001_huh: Low carb is difficult for me without animal fats ( I especially like eggs). I made Alfredo pasta (w/ground beef from down the road) for the family tonight, with a big salad. I had the salad with some of the pasta 'sauce', but no pasta. If I don't have good fats, I crave the carbs.

Last night, I made a yum stir -fry with beef, broc, bell peppers, garlic, onions...and RICE! I did manage to get a bit before I added the rice.

Edited by LibraryLover

I couldn't imagine. I give you a lot of credit for sticking with it. I'm so thankful that my whole household is vegan. I couldn't cook 2 entirely different meals! Keep up the good work! :)

Oh, I don't do this regularly. Dh will often times make some.meat if he has a taste for it, and both dd's and dh eat vegan dinners at least six nights per week. Still, I buy them natural lunch meats, tuna, kippers, etc. and it is getting extremely difficult to even do that. I am terribly conflicted just buying the stuff.

I SO know what you mean. I ate vegan for years at a time. DD had an egg allergy that she has MOSTLY grown out of so now I can bake with them. I cannot handle dairy. SO when I was veg I was basically vegan. I was repulsed by any animal flesh. Every now and then I would eat fish or turkey on Thanksgiving, that kind of thing. But I still cooked it, and watched people eat it. It was rough.

I actually was vegan myself, because I felt like *I* could be (mostly) HAPPY and healthy while vegan, whereas my family could not. Do you feel that is why you are vegan and they are not? Or a little? I felt like as a household, my being vegan really made MUCH less of a strain on the industry.

my girls could easily be vegan. Dh says he will never even be vegetarian. He grew up eating so much meat I can't imagine. The smell of meat is nauseating to me now! I am DREADING Thanksgiving this year. I definitely think I am healthier, and I am certainly happier. I did not do this for health reasons but am curious to see where my cholesterol is at next time I get it checked.

O

my girls could easily be vegan. Dh says he will never even be vegetarian. He grew up eating so much meat I can't imagine. Thesmell of meatis nauseating to me now! I am DREADING Thanksgiving this year. I definitely think I am healthier, and I am certainly happier. I did not do this for health reasons but am curious to see where my cholesterol is at next time I get it checked.

Fingers crossed for you!

Edited by LibraryLover

What I hate to do is cook a meal where I need to taste to make sure everything is spiced right. I hate having to do that now if there is meat in it. It made me cranky.

I haven't eaten meat for about 20 years. But my hubby does.

I do feel strange asking him how something I made tastes and having to say, "I really want to know if it's okay, because there is no way I would ever be willing to taste it."

He also now knows when I ask "how is it" I am asking because I want to know, and I want a very specific answer, as in, " next time add one mo teaspoon of garlic powder" . Because I have no idea what so ever. I could not even imagine tasting the food I make him. ICK!

I haven't eaten meat for about 20 years. But my hubby does.

I do feel strange asking him how something I made tastes and having to say, "I really want to know if it's okay, because there is no way I would ever be willing to taste it."

He also now knows when I ask "how is it" I am asking because I want to know, and I want a very specific answer, as in, " next time add one mo teaspoon of garlic powder" . Because I have no idea what so ever. I could not even imagine tasting the food I make him. ICK!

This is good for next time. Last night we had a guest so I wanted to make sure things tasted right.

I can relate. I don't crave meat anymore, mostly due to visions of the inhumane treatment of animals raised for human consumption. I do crave really good cheese-at times, and yes, I indulge, but I don't feel guilty. because I try to purchase raw organic that has been processed more humanely. I feel much better on an almost vegan diet. My family eats as they choose, they also don't feel very well, and I bite my tongue and hope they will choose differently.

This is why I have such a hard time with the stuff in my house. I know what goes on behind the scenes and refuse to be part of it. For me, dairy is the worst and I just can't do it. I don't miss any of it at all, but I do need to find more quality restaurants with vegan options.

I'm not saying I never consume an animal product, but that is mainly because of my family. We need to find more quality restaurants with vegan options. Seafood restaurants kill me. :(

I feel so much better when I lean toward a more vegan diet. It's just HARD! lol. I love cheese and butter. :D

butter is the easiest thing to replace! My dad was a HUGE butter fan and one Thanksgiving I used salted olive oil in EVERYTHING. I never said a thing to him. When dinner was all done I asked him if he noticed anything different. He hadn't. When I told him what I did, he was shocked. I even have one recipe with buttered cornflakes on top (sweet potato puff) and I thought for sure you'd notice a difference in that. Nope!

Cheese is harder. I found some I'm satisfied with but it's not like the real thing.

I really didn't start to feel a huge difference in how I feel, though, until I started to make green smoothies.

Oh, salted coconut oil is also fantastic.

We've been vegan for only a few years, prompted mostly by dhs high cholesterol (it's genetic). Well, he gave it 2 weeks and said he didn't want to, bought sausage and eggs, and basically went back to his old ways of eating. But dss and I are vegan, and as the time passes, we feel better and better about it. What started for health has become a moral choice- we can look the pigs at the pumpkin patch farm in the eye now, lol. We just feel better not participating in so many of the abuses that go on in the factory farm industry.

I don't cook non vegan, though. If dh wants it, he cooks it. He buys it. I won't freak out or anything (ok, internally, since men in his family have been dropping dead at 50 from heart attacks since time immemorial :confused:). But I am not participating, so that helps. Meat doesn't gross me out or anything, but I am not going to prepare it!

I cook meals all day, and they are healthy and tasty and...vegan. If someone really wants something else, they are free to make it, but I am doing my job,

providing filling meals 3 times a day- they will just be vegan. Those who long for pot roast will just have to learn to make it there darn selves.;)