Menu

Nursing logistics question

For those of you who nursed with a Dc in a sling or a wrap, exactly how does that work? Do you use nursing tops? I have a Moby wrap that I used with my 6yo, and although I've heard/read that you can nurse your baby while she's in it, I can't fathom how that works. I didn't bother with nursing tops with either of my boys; I just pulled up my shirt and covered when and where it was appropriate. But pulling up your shirt while using a sling or wrap would seem impractical and definitely not discreet. What am I missing? If I can figure it out, I'd love to be able to nurse this one while using the wrap.:bigear:

I tried in my Moby - multiple times, and while I can figure the clothing issue out, I can't for the life of me get everybody/thing set up right. I think I'm too small chested or something. If I could get baby latched and supported properly, we had breathing issues. I I made sure baby could breathe, I was never really hands free. Sigh. I'd love to figure it out.

I used nursing tanks (they had a clip on the strap that you released to nurse) with a button up shirt over top that I left unbuttoned except at the bottom. DD would be in her wrap and I would just release the clip on the nursing tank when she was hungry and nurse her. But she was a little chunk (short and round) and it was never hands free nursing - I always had to use an elbow under her.

Of course - you can see from the siggy that that was many years ago... baby wraps may have improved since then.

Guest submarines

I wear a tank top under a regular top which isn't bulky. The regular top goes up, the top of the tank top is pulled down, and in a wrap you have 110% coverage. :tongue_smilie:With my saggy b00ks I need to support a book with my hand from underneath. ETA: then in 5-10 minutes the babe would fall asleep, and I am truly hands free.

I would just pull up the shirt in front. Most of what's pulled up is underneath the carrier (I used a sling or a mei tai), so not much shows. I didn't generally use nursing shirts, but I did use nursing camisoles for a long time.

This doesn't have to do with the type of top, but I found one of the harder aspects of nursing in a carrier was getting baby situated by lowering her to the right place without compromising the safety of the carry! I only did this twice, once "successfully", ha! I had a nursing top, which I believe made it easier.

i never nursed in an upright carrier, but i had a REALLY wide sling which I LOVED . . . i'm too big for most nursing shirts, but i could lift the outer rail of the sling up and hold it in my teeth to cover myself while i arranged us, then drop it down and my shirt would just cover the top and the baby and the sling covered the bottom