Menu

Rewards and Incentives

klhoward42

I was wondering what other Moms do as rewards or incentives for your Homeschooler? I know with most kids in traditional schools they get report cards and then parents reward from there. I mostly am referring to kindergarten and lower elementary grades. Thanks so much.

Leeanna

Nothing. :D

My kids get occasional treats. Sometimes having some gum or a couple of chocolate chips just helps you keep working. They used to stick their own stickers on their papers if they were proud of their work, but I generally didn't do it. I've never done a structured reward system. I've never done any big rewards. We don't do grades. I correct things with the kids and ask them how they thought they did. No rewards involved.

Nothing, really. We've done the sweet treat thing when working on math facts or reading, but now that he's older we don't do that. He's gotten very into playing games on my husband's tablet, so he now gets 'rewarded' with that when he finishes his school & chores for the day {it's how he earns his 30 minutes of screen time - school & chores must be completed by 3pm or he doesn't get it. Teaches him not to goof around too much. :001_smile:}

We are also keeping attendance this year (it's not required, but I figured we should see how many days we actually do). He wants to have a party or something at 100 days {sometimes he acts like he's in K again!}. Maybe we'll head out for some frozen yogurt or something when we get there.

Homeschoolers already got so many more 'rewards' that PS kids don't get (like fro-yo in the middle of the day because we happen to be out & about). I wouldn't worry about the whole report card reward system many have. {Although I know some kid-oriented places will reward a child when they bring in a good report card. Maybe then it's time to make one up for them! :D}