Menu

Teaching Vocabulary

I was speaking with some moms last night. They ask me how I teach vocab and get DS to read. DS uses his Kindle, Learning Ally, and audio books. My child has grown up on talk radio. We went through a classical music period (infancy to 3). We started listening to audio books in the car when he was very young, more for DH and I than DS. It was a natural transition to audio text and literature books during 4th grade. For vocab, we used freerice.com for about 3 years but have switched over to Sadlier-Oxford Vocab book B. These moms looked at me like I had three heads when I told them what we do at home, mainly because their boys hate audio books and listening to read alouds.

For regular (Bible, science and history) reading, DS reads aloud to me, and we discuss the subject. We take turns reading if the selection is large. He used to make story webs and type up BME (beginning-middle-end) sentences describing action every couple of chapters for lit; however, that hasn't happened much this year.

How do you teach vocab and general reading to a 13yo, VSL boy? Vocab is not my son's weakness, and he loves audio books.

Edited by Heathermomster

Just from reading, I like root word posters. I have seen an example.... Like a web, with pictures, and different vocabulary words using a list. My Wiley Blevins advanced phonics has lists my root word. He does not have as good of poster suggestions, but I think does recommend to have posters up so kids can keep seeing them.

The poster I saw I think was a picture for a root word, it was very good.

With the web you put the root in the middle of the page, and then have a few words each with a picture.

Edited by Lecka

Just from reading, I like root word posters. I have seen an example.... Like a web, with pictures, and different vocabulary words using a list. My Wiley Blevins advanced phonics has lists my root word. He does not have as good of poster suggestions, but I think does recommend to have posters up so kids can keep seeing them.

The poster I saw I think was a picture for a root word, it was very good.

With the web you put the root in the middle of the page, and then have a few words each with a picture.

Sounds great! Thank-you. I was thinking of mind mapping too. I'll pass this on.

This is not at all what you asked, but what do you make of the audiobooks with your kids, no audiobooks with their kids thing? I'm reading Cindy Gaddis' book right now, and I have to say it had never occurred to me that so many of the things that seem NORMAL in our house might not be things other people do at all.

If it is available from the library -- Teaching Phonics and Word Study in the Intermediate Grades, by Wiley Blevins, it says grades 3-8 on the front.... pg. 247 has a list of "25 quick-and-easy phonics and word analysis games."

Some of the games look lame to me, but several look good. Another one that looks good is to write syllables of words on index cards, and then make the words. It is something I could see my son liking.

The book has a lot for decoding and root words. It is not a program, just ideas and explanation

This is not at all what you asked, but what do you make of the audiobooks with your kids, no audiobooks with their kids thing? I'm reading Cindy Gaddis' book right now, and I have to say it had never occurred to me that so many of the things that seem NORMAL in our house might not be things other people do at all.

A couple of the moms have come to their kids LD diagnosis rather late, so ideas like audio books are novel to them. DS was listening to them in the car long before we had a dyslexia diagnosis. My eldest sibling is blind and severely handicapped...My normal is abnormal to most people.

ETA: I admit to some shock too. I wrongly assumed that others used audio books.

Edited by Heathermomster

If it is available from the library -- Teaching Phonics and Word Study in the Intermediate Grades, by Wiley Blevins, it says grades 3-8 on the front.... pg. 247 has a list of "25 quick-and-easy phonics and word analysis games."

Some of the games look lame to me, but several look good. Another one that looks good is to write syllables of words on index cards, and then make the words. It is something I could see my son liking.

The book has a lot for decoding and root words. It is not a program, just ideas and explanation

This is great. I'll forward the info.

McGuffey 1879 books, the pdfs are free online to try it out. They have hard words defined and pronounced before the reading selections. The 4th grade and up also have comprehension questions.

I also like Marcia Henry's Words, combined Spelling, Phonics, and word root/vocab study. It is usually cheapest from ProEd, it is often expensive on Amazon. The samples are from early on, the later words are supposedly 8th grade level but I consider many of the Greek and Latin 3 and 4+ syllable words high school level.