Menu

Can we talk about things that don't make sense in Children's TV/books?

And I don't know anyone else who watched Hey Dude. I loved that show. :lol:

I have a little "about me" book from second grade that lists Hey Dude as my favorite show, illustrated with a little hand-drawn cactus. You can even watch it with Amazon Prime for free (the show, not my book). :)

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a little "about me" book from second grade that lists Hey Dude as my favorite show, illustrated with a little hand-drawn cactus. You can even watch it with Amazon Prime for free (the show, not my book). :)

That's awesome.

I have asked myself many of the questions listed by PPs. So hilarious! Currently, I am watching these preschool shows with a critical eye, watching out for signs that make them more appropriate for modern audiences.

Cat in the Hat is the best example. In the book, mom goes out shopping and leaves the kids home alone all day. Not cool. So, in the movie, she leaves them with an elderly babysitter who promptly falls asleep, leaving them on their own with the cat. A bit better, but still unacceptable for a PBS audience. So, in the series, the cat always sends the children to ask their mom's permission before they head off on an adventure. Of course, the mom thinks they're just playing make-believe and says, "Sure!" For some reason, I just get a big kick out of that.

I also absolutely LOVE the new Daniel Lion's Neighborhood. It took me a few times of half-watching to realize it is based on Mr. Roger's old shows (but animated). The song is similar, his house is exactly the same, Daniel puts on his sweater, etc., but he lives in the "land of make-believe", with the trolley, Prince Wednesday (they go to preschool together) etc. It is really adorable, teaches good lessons, has great catchy songs, and my little dd loves it. Back to my point, I did notice that everyone riding the trolley is wearing a seat belt. Just struck me funny. BTW, dd12 has asked me why Daniel wears a sweater but no pants, while his parents are fully clothed, as are the other human children. This was quite obvious in the "potty" episode, where Prince Wednesday's pants were around his ankles, but Daniel didn't have any. Oh well, still a great show.

Edited by AHASRADA

I also absolutely LOVE the new Daniel Lion's Neighborhood.... BTW, dd12 has asked me why Daniel wears a sweater but no pants, while his parents are fully clothed, as are the other human children. This was quite obvious in the "potty" episode, where Prince Wednesday's pants were around his ankles, but Daniel didn't have any. Oh well, still a great show.

:lol: Sure makes potty training easier, doesn't it?

I hadn't watched it -- I sort of didn't like the idea of a Mr Rogers knock off. I so love Mr Rogers. :001_wub:

That's not the only reason. It was because nobody ever loved him, he suffered years of mistreatment, etc.

Magical ways of knowing what was going on and announcing?

Different form of portkey?

The books say that animagi are rather rare. I would imagine that Voldemort would be a little too arrogant for the study *of something else* that would be required to become that thing.

I would imagine that AK would take more power, concentration, effort and energy than other types.

She doesn't think they need improving?

They have less to lose, they don't have formed opinions about what should be done, they are already being followed, I can think of any number of reasons for that?

Their magic is different, just like dwarves have different magic.

They don't think of themselves as poor. They have what they need.

:iagree: And for the last, it says that Mr.Weasley likes his job and disagrees with some policies in the Ministry, besides he's not ambitious, so he doesn't get a big prestigious job. Same thing happens in the Muggle world. Magic can't create food or money, too, so of course not everyone is rich. They have to earn their money.

Why is it supposed to be "heartwarming" that Emmet Otter and his mother steal from each other?

Why does Ma's "fancy outfit" for the contest look just like her regular everyday dress with the addition of a doily on her head? Did she really need to sell one of their only two sources of income in order to buy another calico dress?

And why is Ma Otter so pleased that Emmet planned to "buy" her a piano on credit when they can't afford any of the payments? You can't eat a piano (a.k.a. "piana"). So not only would she not have a source of income, she'd now have "piana" debt.

Plus there's the matter of all those really bad hippy dippy lyrics in Ma Otter's various songs... but I digress...

Several of the Franklin stories begin, "Franklin could count by twos and tie his shoes..." but then the very next page will show him barefoot in the snow. ???

Not to mention that Franklin is a TURTLE - of the cold blooded variety! He would so be going into a sleepy time anytime he got near cold weather. Also something that's always bugged me about Franklin - he can take off his shell. Now, why would you carry around that heavy thing if you can take it off?

Beth

I have asked myself many of the questions listed by PPs. So hilarious! Currently, I am watching these preschool shows with a critical eye, watching out for signs that make them more appropriate for modern audiences.

Cat in the Hat is the best example. In the book, mom goes out shopping and leaves the kids home alone all day. Not cool. So, in the movie, she leaves them with an elderly babysitter who promptly falls asleep, leaving them on their own with the cat. A bit better, but still unacceptable for a PBS audience. So, in the series, the cat always sends the children to ask their mom's permission before they head off on an adventure. Of course, the mom thinks they're just playing make-believe and says, "Sure!" For some reason, I just get a big kick out of that.

I also absolutely LOVE the new Daniel Lion's Neighborhood. It took me a few times of half-watching to realize it is based on Mr. Roger's old shows (but animated). The song is similar, his house is exactly the same, Daniel puts on his sweater, etc., but he lives in the "land of make-believe", with the trolley, Prince Wednesday (they go to preschool together) etc. It is really adorable, teaches good lessons, has great catchy songs, and my little dd loves it. Back to my point, I did notice that everyone riding the trolley is wearing a seat belt. Just struck me funny. BTW, dd12 has asked me why Daniel wears a sweater but no pants, while his parents are fully clothed, as are the other human children. This was quite obvious in the "potty" episode, where Prince Wednesday's pants were around his ankles, but Daniel didn't have any. Oh well, still a great show.

I get a kick out of the Cat-in-the-Hat mom who thinks the kids are pretending too!

We've only seen one episode of Daniel Tiger (the potty one) but we love it so far! DS (just turned 3) was going potty when I took him, but rarely would tell me he needed to go. He went twice during that episode at his own insistence and now makes me sing the song when he goes :lol:. That one episode inspired him to tell me all the time now! It sure reminds me that I need to be careful what TV he watches!

In earlier books, they used to look more like aardvarks, but lets just say they got an extreme makeover because as a family group, they just weren't that attractive.

Beth

Yeah, we read "Arthur's Eyes" and he was almost unerecognizable!

Check out the pictures on Amazon of the old cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Arthurs-Eyes-Arthur-Adventure/dp/0316110698

Guest submarines
In earlier books, they used to look more like aardvarks, but lets just say they got an extreme makeover because as a family group, they just weren't that attractive.

Beth

Fascinating! :001_smile:

What about movies like Home Alone where the bad guys get serverely knocked about?? You would be very sore/probably dead if most of the traps happened to you in real life.

Oh, Babies Day Out. How did no one notice a little baby wandering around the city by himself?!?! How did he not manage to fall off the top edge of the buiding site?? Why wasn't the baby burned when he lit the bad guys crotch on fire??

Spray tan

So maybe Sid the Science Kid is spray tanned, too...maybe he's in pagents...

Actually, I think Sid is deliberately racially ambiguous. Caillou isn't. And I'd love to see him cured of whining. I'll bet Little Bill's family could cure that. Little Bill is cute and inquisitive without being whiny.

I always wondered that too. Even if they didn't want to use Unforgivable Curses, why not just 'relashio' everyone and take their wands?

Yes. Also, in Book 6, there is a brief period where the students are supposedly learning nonverbal spells. Yet, nobody ever uses this. That would be incredibly useful for surprise attacks, to be able to tie someone up or make them shrink or stun them before they even knew what hit them. Wouldn't DE, at least, be very interested in cultivating nonverbal spells?

Yes. Also, in Book 6, there is a brief period where the students are supposedly learning nonverbal spells. Yet, nobody ever uses this. That would be incredibly useful for surprise attacks, to be able to tie someone up or make them shrink or stun them before they even knew what hit them. Wouldn't DE, at least, be very interested in cultivating nonverbal spells?

I expect death eaters weren't all the top in talent. Some were--like Bellatrix--but others like the Carrows were less proficient and would likely never be able to pull off nonverbal spells.

The Weasleys strike me as a University-type homeschool/One income family. One where both parents are highly educated, but are willing to forgo money for the chance to do pure research and raise their children the way they want them to be raised, who end up with very, very smart, capable kids who probably are ALSO not going to be particularly financially successful.

I assumed Kim was a girl!

Then there's Yo of "Yo Wants to Know" in Click. My daughter is sure Yo is a girl, and my son is equally sure Yo is a boy. What I think is funny is that Yo looks very very Asian, just like his/her father, and the mother has curly, blonde hair. I am very tired of mixed kids who only look like the non-white parent and not mixed at all. Don't want to hijack the thread, but really. I have my own collection of books about mixed kids where they actually look mixed!

I assumed Kim was a girl!

Then there's Yo of "Yo Wants to Know" in Click. My daughter is sure Yo is a girl, and my son is equally sure Yo is a boy. What I think is funny is that Yo looks very very Asian, just like his/her father, and the mother has curly, blonde hair. I am very tired of mixed kids who only look like the non-white parent and not mixed at all. Don't want to hijack the thread, but really. I have my own collection of books about mixed kids where they actually look mixed!

I use to nanny for a family. The two older kids looked exactly like Mom. The youngest looked exactly like Dad. No one would guess from looking at the kids that they had the same parents, or were mixed.

I use to nanny for a family. The two older kids looked exactly like Mom. The youngest looked exactly like Dad. No one would guess from looking at the kids that they had the same parents, or were mixed.

Oh, I know families like this, too, including mixed and not mixed families, where different kids favor each parent, but I find as a general rule, there is an assumption about how mixed kids will look, and it's not in accord with how they ACTUALLY look in most cases (mixed). I know an enormous number of mixed families, and it's very rare that an Asian/white or black/white kid looks only like the non-white parent. That is why I wish Yo were a bit more mixed looking, if we are celebrating mixed kids and mixed families. I had several people tell me what my kids would look like before they were born, and they were wrong, wrong, wrong. You could see this on an episode of Call the Midwife when the white mother with a white husband gave birth to a VERY dark baby with VERY curly hair. I don't know if they did it for emphasis, but, in my experience, there are very few pale skinned white women who have extremely dark babies, particularly at birth.

Ok, I admit to not reading quite every page on this thread, but has Carl been mentioned? A sleeping baby home alone with a Rottweiler? And this is ok? And that baby is so not drawn proportionally.

Carl has always bothered me. Especially the part where it's ok to toss the baby down the laundry chute without knowing if there's laundry to catch it at the bottom. The whole book bothered me so much I had to stop reading it to DD.

Someone needs to call CPS about Max & Ruby. Seriously - she's 7 and he's, what, 2? Grandma lives down the road, and there is no bedroom for grownups in Max & Ruby's house - just one for Ruby and one for Max.

My youngest is almost 16 so I don't know many of these shows. Dora was around but she didn't watch that. She liked Tele Tubbies, Mr. Rogers, and later Sponge Bob. BUt others I remember them watching were Reading Rainbow and the one with the Jack Russel Terrier recreating famous literature. It is kind of funny but when my oldest was little, he watched TLC- it had all these Canadian children's shows which were pretty good. Quite a difference 20 years makes.

Speaking of Dora, the songs are a running joke at our house. It's as if someone actually forgot they were assigned to make up a jingle for the map... "Uhhhh....I'm the map.... I'm the map. I'm the map. I'm the MAP!" And, then, since it worked so well for that, it was adopted for her backpack.

Unfortunately my 17mo has chosen this as the show he loves the most and even requests it by name. :banghead: