Menu

Can we talk about things that don't make sense in Children's TV/books?

According to Wikipedia, his name was always 'Sir Topham Hatt', but the nickname was almost always used in the UK version. In the US version, the nickname was avoided.

Laura

Ah, I see. I don't remember if I heard him called by his nickname on British tv, Hm. It has been so long.

I also wonder why the male cattle on Back to the Barnyard, Otis (?), has an udder.

This show was after my kids were too old for those shows, but THIS bothers eldest dd when she babysits to no end!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the owner of a large breed puppy, how do they afford Clifford???

Who picks up his doo-doo?

Don't they have leash laws on this island, I mean the dogs run free all. day. long.

Shouldn't the poodle's owner be arrested for dyeing her purple?

I asked about the poop once. DS told me I was ruining it by being "too thinking." :lol:

Why is Muffy in public school with everyone else? Her parents are uber-rich, wouldn't it seem like she'd be at some exclusive private academy instead?

And why isn't Brain in the gifted pull-out program? The regular classroom seems like such a waste of time for him, even with a great teacher like Mr. Ratburn.

Fun thread.

What the HECK is Uniqua?!

She's unique!

Seriously, I think that's the answer. :lol:

How do Salt & Pepper procreate and manage to make Paprika and Cinnamon?

Since Bert & Ernie [and some of the others] live in their own homes, shouldn't they have jobs to pay rent, buy groceries, etc.?

On Dinosaur Train, what does the T-Rex eat? Won't it stunt his growth to not have the diet he evolved to?

I'm always asking questions like this--I drive my family crazy!--but of course, right now I can't think of most of them.

Love this thread!

On the Cosby show, the dad is a doctor and the mom is a lawyer - so how are they always home when the kids get home from school?

Well, Dr. Huxtable has his office downstairs so he is nearby. I just assumed that Mrs. Huxtable has some kind of flex time arrangement.

On The Cat in the Hat on PBS, hasn't anyone ever told Nick & Sally not to go anywhere with strangers and do the parents never check on them? And the cat is super creepy.

Yes! When I read the Cat in the Hat book to dd, I always follow up with a conversation about how we don't ever keep secrets from mommy nor do we allow anyone in our house like that.

This has been bugging me for years...

Donald Duck only wears a shirt and a hat. So why is it that he wraps a towel around his waist after bathing?

And on Clarissa Explains It All, don't her parents have a problem with a boy using a ladder to climb into their teenage daughter's bedroom on a regular basis?

Now, Spongebob... explain underwater fire, and the existence of lakes with beaches in the deep sea?

Bert and Ernie - that's an easy one. They're like that old show the Odd Couple. Bernie's wife obviously left him because he was neurotic and no fun so he went to live with his college buddy Ernie.

How do the kids on scooby earn a living???-- I never see them getting paid for their "meddling".

Aren't they still in high school? I thought the situation was very similar to the Hardy Boys. Lots of mysteries to solve and only about four calendar days of school each year.

And on Clarissa Explains It All, don't her parents have a problem with a boy using a ladder to climb into their teenage daughter's bedroom on a regular basis?

I loved that show along with Saved By the Bell and Hey Dude. Why wasn't Zach Morris sent to alternative school for all the stuff he tried to pull at Bayside? Regardless of that it was still a fine show.

I loved that show along with Saved By the Bell and Hey Dude. Why wasn't Zach Morris sent to alternative school for all the stuff he tried to pull at Bayside? Regardless of that it was still a fine show.

What about the fact that the school was in Indiana the first year and the. They all up and moved to California the next year?

My question has to do w/ one specific Richard Scarry book (can't remember which one right now)... why is "Tom" the telephone pole repair cat wearing girl clothes & a hat w/ a bow?

LOL! How about "why is the pig in Richard Scarry, who is the butcher, chopping up FRANKFURTERS??"

Or how about the one Richard Scarry book where the rabbit family (I think) is getting ready for the day. The little children head off to school, and there's a comment about Friend Mr. Owl watching the children. Yeah, I'll bet the friendly owl is "watching" the rabbit babies. . .

What is Mr. Rogers doing at the house where he hosts the show? I mean, he always enters at the beginning and leaves to go home at the end. Does he just come to feed the fish and hang around for a bit? He does have his mail delivered there, so he must not be just squatting, right? So then why the separate house? Is it just so he can get residency in that awesome neighborhood?

He isn't going home at the end. He's on his lunch break, so he's going back to work. :D

What is a mama duck and her ducklings doing floating out in the ocean in Ten Little Rubber Ducks? Is there such a thing as Ocean Ducks? And on the topic of Eric Carle, why is the horse blue and the cat purple in Brown Bear, Brown Bear yet all the other animals are normal colors?

The creators of the show say it's to be culturally neutral. I'm not kidding.

http://www.chouette-publishing.com/why-caillou-bald

Caillou stands for all children. He doesn’t have curly blond hair, a carrot-top, brown hair, glasses, or ethnic features, because he represents all children. We wanted to make Caillou universal so every child could identify with him. And they do! Caillou’s baldness may make him different, but we hope it’s helping children understand that being different isn’t just okay, it’s normal.

In a lot of cultures, Caillou's pale skin and general looks constitute "ethnic features" and not neutrality. Personally I think ethnically ambiguous people generally have slightly darker skin.... ;)

All the Caillou FAQs are equally hilarious.

Why am I still not satisfied? :001_huh:

I refuse to believe it. I think the creators argued over what style of hair he should have and they said, well scr*w it, make him bald!

How bout the fact that spongebob can't swim! And why on earth did a squirrel decide to put on a "space suit" an build a bubble just to live "under the sea". Why does the pineapple not rot in the water and will the poor sponge ever get his boating liscense?

Now, Spongebob... explain underwater fire, and the existence of lakes with beaches in the deep sea?

I always thought the implication was that they had a fairly lucrative...retail operation...in place.

:lol:

In James and the Giant Peach, how is it that James is stuck living with the most horrible aunts in the world? Does CPS (or the British equivalent) think they just live in a place that's too inconvenient to visit?

And in a similar vein, how does Anne end up with Matthew and Marilla? Surely, the matron wouldn't have simply let her go off with someone to take her to other people who could not even be bothered to show up themselves, much less even complete a background check or fill out an application, just because she got annoyed that Anne talked too much.

Oh, and how did Snuffy go from being Big Bird's invisible imaginary friend to everyone being able to see him?

I forgot about how whiny and annoying Arthur and Caillou were. I thought Angelina Ballerina was bad!

Why does Alphabet Soup work on Martha but not on Skits? And why can Martha speak for all the non-dog animals?

Don't Word Girl's parents ever get mad about her dashing out from important family events?

Oh, so he's a boy-toy with a monkey?!! ;):tongue_smilie::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I just want to know why he ever thinks it's okay to leave George in charge of ANYTHING! Wouldn't Hundley be a better choice?

I always thought the implication was that they had a fairly lucrative...retail operation...in place.

Me too. My DH refers to pot as "Scooby Snacks":lol:

What's up with the main characters of Super Why! There's a Hispanic boy, a Caucasian girl, a black girl, and then an anthropomorphic pig who goes to school with them!?! I'd expect to see an Asian boy as the 4th character according to most formulas. Who came up with the pig?

What's up with the main characters of Super Why! There's a Hispanic boy, a Caucasian girl, a black girl, and then an anthropomorphic pig who goes to school with them!?! I'd expect to see an Asian boy as the 4th character according to most formulas. Who came up with the pig?

If my kids watch SuperWhy, they always try to punish each other by making the other person be "p is for pig", as they call him :lol:.

Why do Dora's parents send her off into the woods alone when they are filled with giant spiders, angry trolls and annoying monkeys.

Which brings to mind the similar question: who would name a kid Remus Lupin when you know there are werewolves around? To paraphrase somebody who asked that, his parents might as well have put him in a meat parka, stuck squeaky toys in his shoes, and sent him into the Forbidden Forest after dark.

Why do Dora's parents send her off into the woods alone when they are filled with giant spiders, angry trolls and annoying monkeys.11gd.jpg10dh.jpg09ht.jpg09ax.jpg09jh.jpg09bh.jpg

This person comes here everyday and makes a new username to spam this forum. The above reply is copied and pasted from a previous one.

And in a similar vein, how does Anne end up with Matthew and Marilla? Surely, the matron wouldn't have simply let her go off with someone to take her to other people who could not even be bothered to show up themselves, much less even complete a background check or fill out an application, just because she got annoyed that Anne talked too much.

Actually, yes. That's pretty much what happened to orphans and other unwanted children. They were handed out as free manual labor to anyone who would take them.

What the HECK is Uniqua?!

thing?

A pig! Curly tail/ears, pink with pink spots.

Why don't any of the animals ever bite Diego (or the little Einsteins)? Or eat the Wonder Pets?

And why do a duckling, turtle, and guinea pig sing opera?

And why do they need to rescue a panda from a stalk of bamboo????