Menu

Grammar help ?

NatYoung17

Hello!

we're having a hard time with Grammar - mainly getting the parts of speech to stick and my dd (almost 8) being able to identify them in a sentence....

We started with FLL in 1st grade (she's doing 3rd grade now), which was ok, but 2nd grade didn't go well at all and I feel it was a big waste of time. This year we read through "Grammar Land", which was fun and different, but I don't think she really followed it that well and we started using MCT "Grammar Island", but I feel like she needs more practice and I don't know what to do...

Does anybody know of any (free) online grammar games or work sheets or something? I don't want to continue until she gets it all well, but going over the same thing over and over is boring....

I'm just not sure what to do!

Thanks !

we started using MCT "Grammar Island", but I feel like she needs more practice and I don't know what to do...

Are you using Practice Island? Those sentences bring it all together, take just a few minutes to do, and my kids actually think the Practice books are fun.

Also, Sentence Island, if you're not using it, is a must in the Island sequence. It also deepens and extends everything.

The actual Grammar books in MCT are a quick intro/overview at the beginning of the year. The practice and application is in the other books.

Are you using Practice Island? Those sentences bring it all together, take just a few minutes to do, and my kids actually think the Practice books are fun.

Also, Sentence Island, if you're not using it, is a must in the Island sequence. It also deepens and extends everything.

The actual Grammar books in MCT are a quick intro/overview at the beginning of the year. The practice and application is in the other books.

I just borrowed Grammar Island from a friend and was under the impression that they are used in sequence? So I'm supposed to do Grammar island and practice island together? And when do I start using Sentence Island?

I just borrowed Grammar Island from a friend and was under the impression that they are used in sequence? So I'm supposed to do Grammar island and practice island together? And when do I start using Sentence Island?

Yes, Grammar Island should be done first, but fairly quickly. It's a big-picture overview; you shouldn't expect perfect retention - don't keep going back over it. After Grammar Island, start both Sentence Island and Practice Island at the same time - that's where the retention will come in. Sentence Island reviews everything in Grammar Island, and both there and in Practice Island it's applied. I've actually never seen anything like MCT for the retention - it's introduced all at once, which can seem overwhelming, but then all the practice is comprehensive, so it really sticks.

Yes, Grammar Island should be done first, but fairly quickly. It's a big-picture overview; you shouldn't expect perfect retention - don't keep going back over it. After Grammar Island, start both Sentence Island and Practice Island at the same time - that's where the retention will come in. Sentence Island reviews everything in Grammar Island, and both there and in Practice Island it's applied. I've actually never seen anything like MCT for the retention - it's introduced all at once, which can seem overwhelming, but then all the practice is comprehensive, so it really sticks.

OK, thanks!