Menu

So Need To Move

Oh, we sooooo need out of this mobile.

First snowstorm of the year, furnace has been going for a cpl of hrs now, and it's still flipping chilly in here.

No way is this going to work. Boo's crawling on the floor, the chilliest place to be. Princess is wearing her coat in the house. Tazzie's buried in a blanket on the couch. Diva's in her bed, under her blanket. My RSD is kicking up.

I can't imagine what our gas bill will be, w/the furnace constantly on, and yet it's not even warm. :glare:

I have found in my vast trailer living experience (have lived in one on and off since I was 7) that a space heater works wonders. Just a cheap one that shuts off when tipped over works great :). OH and fans to blow the warm air around. I lived in a trailer in the UP of Michigan for 15 years. :). Another thing is to put plastic, blankets or whatever you can manage over the windows to help keep the cold air from coming in and over any doors that are not used. When you get enough snow use it around the trailer for insulation. :)

Edited by melissamathews

you're in a metal box, up off the ground with the wind blowing around all the metal box. Of course you are not going to stay warm. Mobile homes are tolerable in tropical areas, but awful in cold places. You just can't keep them warm! :grouphug:

Last year, in a mobile home in Texas, I discovered they were not great for keeping cool either :(

First of all, thanks for all the responses :grouphug:

I have found in my vast trailer living experience (have lived in one on and off since I was 7) that a space heater works wonders. Just a cheap one that shuts off when tipped over works great :). OH and fans to blow the warm air around. I lived in a trailer in the UP of Michigan for 15 years. :). Another thing is to put plastic, blankets or whatever you can manage over the windows to help keep the cold air from coming in and over any doors that are not used. When you get enough snow use it around the trailer for insulation. :)

I can't put anything up. Being one armed makes it impossible, plus I can't get to town in order to buy plastic. Has to wait til Wolf gets home.

:grouphug: I have lived in a trailer too - putting quilts over the doors and windows helped. :grouphug:

We don't have any extra blankets, etc.

Shut any doors to rooms not being used can help keep the heat where you want it.

Problem is, the further from the furnace, the colder. Our room is right beside the laundry/furnace, it's the warmest in the house. Then the kitchen and living room are chilly. Diva's room is next, and it's chillier yet. The Littles have the room the furthest from the furnace, and it's plain cold. Closing the door to our room does diddly as far as spreading the warmth.

setting up a tent inside works, too. we do this whenever we lose power (which is more often than one would like to imagine). the kids get to read books in "their place" and the body heat warms it up nicely.

hth,

ann

Our tent is in storage. I'll mention it to Wolf when he gets home, thanks for the suggestion!

Is it blowing warm air at all? Our first winter here (mobile home) our furnace blew cold air, and a guy at church checked it out for us. Turns out a spider holed up right where the flame goes through and the mass of web blocked the flame from heating things properly.

Thank God, yes it is blowing warm air. It's just leaking out almost as fast as the furnace is generating it. The windows are all cold, you can feel it by going near one, and the walls, judging by the way the whole place rocks, sways, and you can hear the cat eating from another room through the walls, are hollow and not insulated.

Thank God, yes it is blowing warm air. It's just leaking out almost as fast as the furnace is generating it. The windows are all cold, you can feel it by going near one, and the walls, judging by the way the whole place rocks, sways, and you can hear the cat eating from another room through the walls, are hollow and not insulated.

Then insulating the windows with plastic or towels and borrowing a space heater for your closed up all snuggling together main room is probably your best bet.

Impish, seeing how you don't have extra blankets, do you have extra sheets? We have used sheets in the past, we just folded them and stuck them up with thumb tacks.

Wolf has to make a trip to our storage locker. Extra linens are in there (no blankets though).

All of the windows have curtains/blinds, so at least there aren't any bare windows.

In our currant trailer we have sheets of insulation in the windows, sure there isn't much sunlight but everything is nice and warm. Though we do have one window with no insulation so that we can see if someone pulls up. We have also put sheets in the windows behind the curtains/blinds. Any little bit helps blocking the wind coming in. Also get some spray foam and caulk to seal the window frames and any holes you see. Especially under the sinks, why they drilled such huge holes and not seal them is beyond me.

Edited by melissamathews

In our currant trailer we have sheets of insulation in the windows, sure there isn't much sunlight but everything is nice and warm. Though we do have one window with no insulation so that we can see if someone pulls up. We have also put sheets in the windows behind the curtains/blinds. Any little bit helps blocking the wind coming in. Also get some spray foam and caulk to seal the window frames and any holes you see. Especially under the sinks, why they drilled such huge holes and not seal them is beyond me.

W/ my luck, the landlord would charge us for making unauthorized alterations and ding our damage deposit :glare:

The guy is an ack.

Oh and the insulation that we put in the windows, we take out when it gets warm out. We reuse the insulation every year, we just write on the piece which window it is for. We also just use the window frames to keep them in (they are cut so they are a tight fit). One is of our skylight and the other is one of our living room windows.

post-11722-1353508774458_thumb.jpg

post-11722-13535087745203_thumb.jpg

Edited by melissamathews

I hope all goes well. Go take a hot bath, climb into some warm clothes, cover up with a blanket and read to the kiddos. All over top a register vent... and yes I have done it :)

Problem is, for me, the temp diff of a hot bath and cool air when leaving the bathroom hurts. Sometimes I get so desperate that I do it anyways, for the time spent being actually *warm* in the tub, but the after math is pricey. :(

:grouphug:I hate being cold to the bone..

Hot water bottle?

RICE...Do you have any???...If you have uncooked rice, you can make rice bags and warm them in the microwave. (You can make bags or use a big sock. Cotton not synthetic fibers though.) Anyway, you stitch up the rice in a bag and heat it in the microwave for a few minutes; then snuggle up, but be careful they get hot and hold the heat. All our bags have flannel covers that I pop on after they are heated. (They can be scented with rosemary or lavender if you like.)

Turn the shower on, but don't get in. The steam might help.

Boil water to add warm moisture to the air.

Prayers for a warm up and good job.:grouphug:

When you put up the plastic, duct tape around the whole edge. You want to keep the draft out, that's the key. Sheets and blankets let air still pass through. The plastic will get cold, but it won't let cold in. For an extra layer, though, you can just tack a blanket over the plastic, as long as you've sealed off every edge of the plastic first.

FWIW, we have to do this with some of the older windows in our house as we can't afford to replace them all at once, so just replace one or two every year.