Menu

Dr. Hive-What causes this kind of back pain?

Yesterday I woke up with back pain in the lower left side of my back that radiated down my leg. I've never experienced this before, but it hurt bad enough that I had pain walking or sitting. I had a heating pad and muscle cream on my back for about 4 hours before bed, went to bed, and this morning I feel pretty much fine. There may be some remnant pain when I bend, but I wonder if I'm not just imagining that.

So, what causes that?! I did some minor lifting and bending Sunday afternoon, but felt fine. Is it a muscle thing or a bone thing? I have had some issues, for my whole life, with what feels like my left hip "popping" out. No, I've never had this checked out :001_smile:.

You really need a proper evaluation. Nerve pain can radiate down the leg like that (sciatica, for example), but the key is where is that coming from? Disc? Muscle squeezing the nerve? (like the piriformis issue mentioned by PP) Sacroiliac joint? etc. Treatment will depend on the cause.

A lot of what people think of as their "hip" popping out on one side is really sacroiliac joint pain. It is common in women and hormonal fluctations in normal cycles and in pregnancy can make it much worse or more common.

The only way to know for sure is to get a proper evaluation, unfortunately.

Edited by Momof3littles

Down the back of your leg? - Sciatica

Mine is caused by a tight piriformis muscle pressing on the sciatic nerve. There are a lot of stretching videos on youtube.

Good to know. Someone told me to lie on the bed, bring my knee up, and turn. That did help.

You really need a proper evaluation. Nerve pain can radiate down the leg like that (sciatica, for example), but the key is where is that coming from? Disc? Muscle squeezing the nerve? (like the piriformis issue mentioned by PP) Sacroiliac joint? etc. Treatment will depend on the cause.

A lot of what people think of as their "hip" popping out on one side is really sacroiliac joint pain. It is common in women and hormonal fluctations in normal cycles and in pregnancy can make it much worse or more common.

The only way to know for sure is to get a proper evaluation, unfortunately.

I've never heard of that! Really interesting. The popping does seem cyclical.

I know. I need to go to the doctor. I was good and got my overdue annual last week, so I was feeling pretty proud :001_smile:.

I had that kind of pain down my leg this past spring for two days and it is now permanent because a nerve got pinched. You probably should see a dr about it.

Ugh. I don't want permanent. I'm sorry you're dealing with that! Yes, I should see a doctor.