Menu

Best, Fastest Way to Show Proof of Progress? I Blew It:-(

So, not one of the smartest things I've ever done... It has been a crazy couple of years and I couldn't remember if K was supposed to be tested at the end of the year. One of my homeschool groups was setting up testing for all of the kids but it started at 1st grade so I asked another Mom if kindergartners had to be tested and she said no. I know, I should have checked up on it on my own. So I sent in my letters of intent and 2 months later was called by someone while we were go e on vacation about showing proof of progress. Then I get a letter in the mail right after saying I need to get this taken care of within 7 days of the date on the letter sent - of course by that time it was 6. At the time my husband was out of town and I had a sick baby. I'm relatively new to Virginia and homeschooling. Help! Showing a portfolio is out of the question - I wasn't that organized last year. What is the fastest way to get this done? Can he take a test online? How would I go about finding a teacher to evaluate him? I tried calling them today and we played phone tag. Any help is appreciated:-)

I don't know about Virginia, but Seton sells a CAT test for kindergarten. You do have to wait on the results, but I think they can email them to you if you need them faster than snail mail. It has only ever taken about a week to get our results back.

I don't know of any online tests for k'ers. The Stanford and CAT online start at 3rd. ITBS and Stanford for kindergarten require a certified teacher give the test.

I would order the CAT test and give it quickly. I would call and let them know that you were giving the CAT test and were awaiting results in the mail. I would also send a certified letter stating your student was taking the CAT test and as soon as you receive results you would forward them.

I think that would be your quickest solution. Order the test, give the test, and in the mean time let the state know you are waiting on results from your standardized test.

You may want to check out this site-

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/eval/

You shouldn't have to test according to this for kindergarten unless your child was 6 by Sept. 30 of their kindergarten year.

Will my child have to be tested or evaluated if I register her as a homeschooled kindergartener?

Thanks to legislation crafted by VaHomeschoolers in 1998, homeschooled kindergarteners who have not turned 6 by September 30 are exempt from the testing and evaluation requirements. (§22.1-254.1, subsection C) If your homeschooled kindergartener is already 6 by September 30, then you will need to have her tested or evaluated at the end of the school year.

Edited by OpenMinded

In Virginia Kindergartners do NOT have to be tested at the end of the year. But you DO have to send in the letter of intent to homeschool them or opt out at the beginning of the year.

Who Needs to Test/Evaluate?

Under the Home Instruction Statute, evaluation or testing must be provided for all children who are between the ages of 6 and 18 as of September 30th of the current school year (regardless of grade level).

The following do not have to provide evidence of progress:

Children under the age of 6 as of September 30th. For more information regarding kindergarten options, see Much Ado About Kindergarten.

Children older than 18 as of September 30th.

Children 16 years or older as of September 30th who have graduated and/or taken the GED. For more information about homeschoolers and the GED, see Homeschoolers and the General Educational Development Exam (GED)

Children whose parents are complying with the Compulsory Attendance Code by using the Approved Tutor Provision. For more information, see All About the Approved Tutor Provision.

Children who are exempt from the Compulsory Attendance Code due to a Religious Exemption. For more information, see Religious Exemption from Compulsory Schooling.

Having said that, I'm a little confused. When you moved to VA and sent in your letter of intent did you tell them what levels you were instructing your dc at? That determines what proof of progress they ask you for.

Proof of progress is easy with the CAT test from http://www.setontesting.com/ .

Try looking up some info here before you talk to them: http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/

Also try here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brfun/

and here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VAEclecticHS/

ETA: It looks like both of your kids were six (or over) as of 9.30.12, so that would mean that you need to test both of them in VA. Now, at what level? That depends on what you said in your letter of intent.

Edited by KatherineTheGreat

I've never tested my kindergartners. Here's a blurb from Heav.org's website:

Who must be tested?

Homeschoolers must be tested if they have registered under §22.1-254.1 of the Virginia Code by filing a “Notice of Intent to Provide Home Instruction†or letter with the school division. Testing is not required for the following: 1) children who are under the age of six as of September 30 of the school year; 2) students who are under the religious-exemption provision §22.1-254(B)(1); 3) students being taught by a certified tutor §22.1-254 (A); or 4) students who have graduated, regardless of age.

Christian Liberty Press - take the test on-online, get results and print out today.

This should be for your son that was born in 2005. Your son born in 2006 will need to be tested before submitting your NOI for 2013-2014 (like my dd :D)

That's COOL! I never knew there was such an animal. Same day testing - who knew???! Thanks!