Menu

Book suggestions for 8 yo average reader who loved Mercy Watson series...

ChristusG

I'm looking for a stocking stuffer for my 8 year old. She's pretty particular about the books she reads. She won't read on her own unless it's a book that she is really into. The only books she has done this with are the Mercy Watson series (she devoured these) and Dr. Doolittle. She just finished Tom Sawyer but said it was just okay (took her forever to read it). She started an American Girl book but has yet to get past the first chapter. So I'm not really sure what grabs her attention in a book.

I'm looking for books in a series so she can get more of them if she likes it.

She was tested as mildly dyslexic last year and was reading below a pre-k level at the end of 1st grade. When tested again a few months ago (at the end of 2nd grade) she had made great strides and tested at an upper third grade level. So I'm not looking for a hard book, but I don't want an easy reader either. But something enjoyable (I don't mind if it is fluff).

I want something to capture her attention like Mercy Watson did. I looked at the Poppleton books, and while I think she'd like those (and there are lots of them), I'm wondering if they are too easy and short?

Any suggestions? (Also, we don't go for books with name calling and such like Ramona, Ivy/Bean, Junie, etc).

No good ideas here, but I'm so glad someone else mentioned Mercy Watson! Those were the first "long" books my middle son would read because he wanted constant pictures. The illustrations on those are amazing! If your niece loved them for the same reason, I'd try for something with lots of illustrations but I'd love some ideas on what that might be.

I was going to suggest Jenny and the Cat Club too - there are a lot of them and they're very easy and cute.

Also, Lulu and the Brontosaurus... But I'm trying to remember if there's anything in there with any name calling as Lulu is spoiled and silly. It's a very silly book so any name calling is going to be a bit like the elderly neighbors in Mercy Watson - hard to take seriously and meant to be laughed at. There's a sequel now too.

Nate the Great is also a bit easier but about at that level.

Cobblestreet Cousins and Lighthouse Family by Cynthia Rylant are both good, very wholesome series that are easy to read at this "in between" stage.

My 8 yr old loved Mercy Watson. She's also not a big fan of reading... She's reading Charlotte's Web now and likes it, she also liked a book called "Pie". The only other books I've gotten her to read voluntarily are the Rainbow Magic Fairy books. They are total drivel, but she loves them and right now I'm eager for her to just gain reading fluency.

My second grade son loves listening to the Animal Ark series (he's dyslexic and just barely learning to decode at this point). So, if she likes animals, I second that. One warning: I haven't found anything the least bit objectionable, insulting, etc, in the books, but the main characters are middle schoolers, and there will sometimes be passages that my son simply finds boring.

Another animal series that has been a hit is The Puppy Place series. It follows an elementary age boy and his family who foster puppies. Each book follows a different puppy's story. There's a similar series called Kitty Corner about, get this, fostering kittens :).

If she likes mysteries, you may want to check out the A-Z mysteries series by Ron Roy. These also feature protagonists a bit older than your daughter, but my son enjoys them. The author also has a "Calendar Mysteries" series that follows the younger siblings of the A-Z mysteries. These are shorter and written at an easier level, so they might be better to start with, but you know your child.