Menu

Sensory/sensetive- ever replaced a wardrobe?

M.A.

Both my two olders (and Dh!) are clothing picky but ds is bad, at 8 yros old he may have 3 tantrums a day just from clothes... you know this kind of kid the one that will only wear the uber-expensive hanna underwear;)

So far this fall he has had one pair of pants and one long sleeve t and one pair of socks that wont make him cry. other that that he is digging out shorts and short sleeves ( i swear when its 95 out he is wearing sweat shirts)

so i received some gift cards and had a 30% off coupon and dragged his protesting backside out (yes child you must wear shoes and go OUTSIDE) to the store along with the other 3 kids.

I had just enough to buy him enough clothes for a week

sweat pants (all grey and black- solid colors only please!) and long sleeve t shirts (all solid red or black only please!)

all cotton, no tags , no threads, soft elastic we checked -twice!

and a pack of his favorite socks - grey heel blue toe (Seriously kid!?)

he needs that visual to line them up

we did also get two polos (red and black you had to ask?) which oddly enough he picks out to wear for church and has never complained about- but he really likes church. He is often up and dressed without me asking on Sunday. (funny kid)

We got home washed it all, pulled everything else out of his closet and he is so happy. He put his new clothes on (not the socks...those are for outside only mom) and went to bed in them- you know so he doesn't have to change in the morning.;)

I am absolutely exhausted but oddly satisfied but the little sideways hug and half smile i got a bed along with his quiet thank you.

What would this kid have been like with out all the OT sheesh.

Have you ever done this...was i nuts?, this was total windfall money and i was hoping to by a bra and oh man do i really need a new one but sometimes...I don't know... this kids life is hard...it is a PITB and maybe itsnutty but if it makes his life easier.

It the very least I know it will make my life easier ...at least until spring:glare:

I'm in the process of doing this with ds2. He is incredibly sensitive to clothing, colors, and patterns on his clothes. I bought him 4 new pairs of warm-up pants today (the soft mesh kind, not the "swishy" kind) with his approval. He refuses to wear jeans, cargos, or any other pants. I was down to one pair of pants until this morning.

I get it. And, sometimes you just have to do what you need to do since these kids can't run around naked :001_smile:

Ha Jennifer my youngest ds4 would totally go naked all the time...when we get home he takes off his hat shoes and pants;).

It drives the ds i was talking about above absolutely bonkers

"Mom we can see it again! ":blushing:

Im not sure which kid is more challenging the sensitive one the naked one or the one that wears 4-5 layers at a time.

Of course my oldest asked me this morning is she could get a pair of goggles to go with her captains jacket so I sense more and different challenges ahead;)

We've never redid the whole wardrobe at one time but we would have. My son won't wear jeans, cargo pants, khakis or anything with buttons and zippers. Sweat pants and t-shirts (long or short) are it. Socks have to be worn at all times since he doesn't like the feel of the floor on his feet. Mismatched socks.

We've been having trouble recently because he's on the tall side but thin as a rain. I bought a bunch of soft fleece and I'm making up sweatpants that fit him well, with some extra hem so they can be let down when needed.

ETA: My 5 year old usually strips down to underwear the minute we are in the door.

We've never done it at one time since we have always catered to my ds's sensory needs with clothing.

*No to buttons and zippers, yes to elastic.

*No to jeans or other rough materials,yes to flannel and clothing broken in by others.

*No to constrictive clothing (socks, underwear, almost all shoes), yes to bare feet, bare butts, crocs, and shorts.

We have the most struggles in the winter when ds has to move into winter shoes, socks, long pants, and long sleeves. Our other struggle is wearing sports uniforms. He is passionate about sports, but he hates the specialized clothing.

Yes, I would totally have spent the money on clothing my ds would wear without stress. None of us need to deal with that stress in our lives.

Edited by 2squared

I have a 7 turning 8 boy that is just like that since he was born. That means we can only buy certain baby clothes. Younger is sensory too but not as bad. Whatever works for the older works for the younger.

I got around the money issue for his clothes by getting cash from my parents for clothes. All my relatives also know to give cash instead of clothes.

Our sensory issues are mild and my oldest has already outgrown some. He never had a big issue with clothing though. My youngest does and I had to chuckle seeing this thread :lol: because my hubby just came home with two sets of pj's for each boy and we had to turn around and take back my little guy's.

My oldest loves anything soft and comfortable. Not hard to please :D! Other than that he will wear pretty much everything and anything. I have only ever bought cotton for them and some acrylic blends for knitted sweaters. Mostly track pants, some jeans, and some corduroy.

We returned the little one's pj's because the one set was polyester, and the other, although cotton, had bands around the ankles and wrists. That's a definite no for this kid :tongue_smilie:(I could never handle the bands either) and hubby did not realize the other was polyester! Other than that, we have some seasonal transitioning issues, which they both adapt to pretty quickly (meaning for example, adjusting to wearing short pants when the weather gets warmer). Little boy refuses to take off things that feel good also. That can be challenging!

Since sensory issues come from my side of the family I can very quickly read the signs. I have gone through a lot of them myself ;) and still live with some. I did not find any flannel pj's without bands, so I bought a larger size and will be cutting the bands off. The things we have to do for our blessings... :lol:!

Ha Jennifer my youngest ds4 would totally go naked all the time...when we get home he takes off his hat shoes and pants;).

It drives the ds i was talking about above absolutely bonkers

"Mom we can see it again! ":blushing:

Im not sure which kid is more challenging the sensitive one the naked one or the one that wears 4-5 layers at a time.

Of course my oldest asked me this morning is she could get a pair of goggles to go with her captains jacket so I sense more and different challenges ahead;)

First of all, MaggieAnnie, thanks for starting this thread. After hanging around here for years, I'm finally getting through my head that we're not the only ones who have dealt with these issues. It's nice to not feel so alone.

I have one who still changes into a nightgown as soon as she walks in the door. Her older sister seemed to wear a terry robe indoors for the preschool years. Then I had a younger family member who looked like the Michelen Man early on. She always had several layers on, just no pants. ;)

The good news is, you're right, it does change, as I've seen with the older ones. Eventually, puberty hits and they want to look good. They'll actually put on jeans. Then shopping does get tougher, though, because they still contend with the sensitivities.

I still have one who looks a bit weird with the outfits. It's getting cold and she really only wants to wear one set of clothes, sleeveless top with a skort with sandals. And, yes, I feel a bit embarrassed about it, but there's been a lot of water under the SPD bridge--and I've got more important things to deal with.

Most of the clothes we own are hand-me-downs, so we have had tons of clothes filling up drawers. Unfortunately, most aren't worn by my SPD girls, so I've been purging like crazy lately. It took me years to realize that I need to just get rid of things they don't wear. But I grew up without a lot and somehow it's still hard to let go of beautiful clothes even if they've been given to us.

This

Most of the clothes we own are hand-me-downs, so we have had tons of clothes filling up drawers. Unfortunately, most aren't worn by my SPD girls, so I've been purging like crazy lately. It took me years to realize that I need to just get rid of things they don't wear. But I grew up without a lot and somehow it's still hard to let go of beautiful clothes even if they've been given to us.

I totally relate to this...its hard to justify when having cleaned out his closet I have 3 full laundry baskets of good clothes mostly hand me downs and grandparent gifts.

At least with just a weeks worth of clothes my laundry will improve!

My DD lives in knits and is the kid who is wearing her knit shorts and skorts when it's 35 degrees out, because she hates having anything on her legs. In Winter, it's knit leggings and knit shirts, no turtlenecks.

What's really tough is dance costumes. DD LOVES dancing-but her pom-team outfit is polyester and has a turtleneck, and her dance costumes tend to be sequins, netting, and scratchy. We do a lot with underleos and with just plain not putting it on until the last minute and taking it off as soon as it's over, even if that means she's the one kid sitting waiting for awards who isn't in uniform. Fortunately, her cheer/pom coach has a DD with aspergers, so understands the sensory stuff-and I really don't think her dance teacher has ever noticed that when DD is between numbers she's just wearing a knit nightgown/robe backstage instead of wearing a robe as a cover-up for the next costume.