Menu

I LOVE cuisenaire rods!

ItoLina

I just want to shout it to the world! :hurray:

They are so awesome. Every time my son seems like he isn't getting something I pull them out and it is like magic, he just gets it with the c rods. It is really amazing how you can just explain almost anything with them.

Also, he thinks they are some kind of fun game. He asks for them all the time and just comes up with his own little math discoveries while he messes around with them. Everyday I am more and more blown away by the whole situation. Best $15 I ever spent :D

Ok, just wanted to share. :001_smile:

We recently got a set and I'm having the worst time figuring out what to do with them. We can't remember which color is for which number. The math u see blocks seem to make so much more sense. It's easy to glance at them and see how many are left over without having the memorize which color equals which number then be constantly converting colors to numbers. I like manipulatives for turning abstract concepts into tangible examples and with the cuisenaire rods 8 divided by 5 turns into a random colored piece of plastic with two other randomly colored pieces of plastic next to it with the student trying to figure out how many 'segments' are left over (or pick up and try to fit in other random plastic pieces then convert that color into it's corresponding number) - still kind of abstract.

I've watched a bunch of you tube videos but they still don't make sense the way math u see blocks, unifix blocks, the abacus, etc. make sense.

(don't mean to hijack the thread!)

We love them here too! My son played with them one time and knew the value of each rod, not sure it is the color or he just recognizes the group of blocks. We do all kinds of things with them. He also does well with ten rods and hundred flats. Great math tools. Abacus is too distracting for him right now. Unifix blocks and one inch wooden blocks have served us well, but since the cuisenaire are smaller they are easier to manipulate.

We recently got a set and I'm having the worst time figuring out what to do with them. We can't remember which color is for which number. The math u see blocks seem to make so much more sense. It's easy to glance at them and see how many are left over without having the memorize which color equals which number then be constantly converting colors to numbers. I like manipulatives for turning abstract concepts into tangible examples and with the cuisenaire rods 8 divided by 5 turns into a random colored piece of plastic with two other randomly colored pieces of plastic next to it with the student trying to figure out how many 'segments' are left over (or pick up and try to fit in other random plastic pieces then convert that color into it's corresponding number) - still kind of abstract.

I've watched a bunch of you tube videos but they still don't make sense the way math u see blocks, unifix blocks, the abacus, etc. make sense.

I have never seen the math u see blocks, and of course no one thing is for everyone, but I just thought I would add that I totally thought that the whole converting colors to numbers thing would be super confusing for ds, but shockingly it isn't. He had them memorized after about two 20 minute sessions of playing with them. It took me about a month though :tongue_smilie:

I couldn't figure out what the big deal was until I bought Mathematics Made Meaningful. I started at the beginning, which was to dump all the rods on the table and sort them according to size, then to mess them up and sort the according to color. Hey! Same groups! :D After a few task cards, I was all about the rods, and I was sorry that I hadn't heard about them when my dds were younger.

I was miffed at first too. I watched the videos at educationunboxed.com, which helped me understand what to do with them. DD loves them and her mathematically understanding has grown significantly since we started using them a couple of months ago. They are wonderful when working word problems.