Menu

Ugh, to test or not? How do I know if I am challenging her enough?

momsuz123

So, my 8 y/o third grader is very bright - I haven't had her tested to say "gifted" (I still like to not say that, as every child has a gift). She is my high energy kid, she is 110% all the time. She reads like crazy - loves to read. She just finished vision therapy - they tested her reading speed at 250 words per minute with great comprehension. She begs to read the encyclopedia - of course I let her.

I just am not sure if I am challenging her enough. Sometimes I wish she was tested in some way so I know where we are at. I had her tested a few years at a Sylvan learning center when I first decided to hs. She tested several years ahead in most areas.

Sorry I am rambling (shouldn't do this during the debate) - any advice?

Edited to add - she is my highly emotional child. Like I said, she is 110% with everything. She goes on the highs where she just can't get enough school - she loves to learn. Kind of quirky - when she is excited about learning something or showing me what she has done (ie. report, painting, etc) she moves her fingers a lot. When friends come to play she would rather do plays (she is in theater and memorizes every. single. line. of. everyone.) I try and explain to her that not all kids want to do plays. (She has checked out every play book in the library system multiple times). Does this make sense? I just want to understand her better, and sometimes wonder if some sort of testing for me to see how she learns, etc may help. I hope this makes sense.

Edited by momsuz123
added info

I did the DORA/DOMA last year (using HSBC SmartPoints :)-so the price was definitely right) just for my own comfort. In math, especially, it gave me a little more confidence in letting DD zoom ahead just as fast as she wanted to go, and watching her take it gave me insight on how she was thinking.

You can also do Talent Search testing. The EXPLORE is available through some programs at 3rd, while others wait until 4th. JHU uses the SCAT for younger kids. I think these are more useful in showing programs that your child qualifies than for the parent themselves, but validation doesn't hurt, either.

I do not believe a test will give you the answer to the question whether you are challenging her enough or not - how would you translate knowing an IQ into knowing what level of work would be appropriate for this child?

My kids were tested in school, and I have found that knowing that they are gifted does not give me any information I would not have gotten from living with them and observing them for years - and also no information about which curriculum and level would be appropriate: I have two gifted children with almost identical IQs and profiles, but very different personalities, learning styles, and interests - and thus use different curricula and levels for them.

I see whether I am challenging them enough if the are excited about their work, not bored by it, and occasionally struggling with some material. Remember: if the student consistently gets every math problem correct, the curriculum is too easy. 100% on everything means the student is not adequately challenged. Keeping this in mind, I find it easy to select the right level of work.

I see whether I am challenging them enough if the are excited about their work, not bored by it, and occasionally struggling with some material. Remember: if the student consistently gets every math problem correct, the curriculum is too easy. 100% on everything means the student is not adequately challenged. Keeping this in mind, I find it easy to select the right level of work.

:iagree:

Nearly everything we do is challenging for Button -- I think spelling may be the exception. He's not a natural speller, however, and needs a systematic program, and he enjoys it (Evan Moor spelling).

I don't know what curricula you use, or how you teach elementary ... but you want to maintain a challenging tone, and regentrude is right that testing won't give you that. But lots of folks test for other reasons, including acceptance to various support programs.

also: :grouphug:! These bright, emotional ones can be little tornadoes!

Edited by serendipitous journey

CW-Does C-MITES accept any test sites other than the ones listed? One reason why we're going through Belin-Blank is because all of the sites on C-MITES site were in PA, and that's a long drive, while BB specifically listed our local one, so it was just a matter of getting permission to register DD earlier than their program normally starts.

CW-Does C-MITES accept any test sites other than the ones listed? One reason why we're going through Belin-Blank is because all of the sites on C-MITES site were in PA, and that's a long drive, while BB specifically listed our local one, so it was just a matter of getting permission to register DD earlier than their program normally starts.

Yes, we had DD tested in Reno, NV as that was the closest site to us. We got the test center code off of the EXPLORE website and filled that in on the C-MITES paperwork.

So, my 8 y/o third grader is very bright - I haven't had her tested to say "gifted" (I still like to not say that, as every child has a gift).

I really don't understand people's reluctance to use the term "gifted." I get that in the general public, you might have a problem with the term. But your dd seems so clearly gifted from your description that you do you and her both a disservice by avoiding it. There is lots of information to be gleaned from the gifted community that can help and support what you are trying to do. So you don't need to be hesitant to use the term in a gifted forum.

I just am not sure if I am challenging her enough.

A lot of people find that testing does, indeed, help with placement. But it can be a two-edged sword. You may find that she needs to be challenged more but that she is not ready for the kind of output that higher level classes or programs would require. For example, my dd7 loves Latin. The level I have her in is really not challenging enough. But the next level requires so much more writing, I just couldn't stomach the amount of work it would take to tweak something that I consider entirely optional.

I try to find materials with some flexibility. Sometimes I aim incorrectly. But even if I pick a book labeled a few grades ahead it's still sometimes too easy. On the other hand sometimes the grade stated works out fine. So it leads me to wonder if the grade label is arbitrary anyway.

For us it's not so much about the grade level, but how we tend to "blow it up" as my DD8 says. We take the core idea, say Egypt for example. Wile the other grade level children are doing a few word searches and worksheets on the topic, my DD has amassed a pile of books taller than her and she reads through them all. We then head into local colleges to discuss questions with professors in a given field. (we are fortunate to live near an academically rich city, and they have embraced our DD thank goodness!) Our hallway turns into the underground tunnels to a crypt, in the dining room there is a full blown mummification going on, stairways become covered in hieroglyphics and Egyptian Gods are referenced accurately for everything throughout the day... you get the idea!

We delve into each topic to a depth that is sometimes mind-boggling to me, but as a profoundly gifted child, she craves "more" of everything.

I don't even try to understand how her mind makes connections, I just go with the flow. We are fortunate to have wonderful local resources that look past her chronological age, and accept her profound academic ability.

It is exhausting to me to keep up with her, but so rewarding in the end!

I agree with many others. Testing won't tell you if you are challenging her enough. Only her behavior can tell you that. There is so much more to it than what grade level they are functioning at or what their IQ is. There are developmental issues, focus, perfectionism, learning style, interest level, possible learning issues which often go hand in hand with giftedness, handwriting endurance, etc...

We had my oldest take the explore, and while it was interesting, it had little bearing on what we chose to do with him He scored in the 99.9th percentile of 4th graders. What do you do with that? For example, that doesn't prove he was ready for algebra if he hasn't had the pre-requisites, hates math, and struggles not to make silly errors. You can see from my tag that he is taking algebra now and it is painful still! He has organizational issues and maybe dysgraphia.

I have another child who has cried when things get tough since the day we pulled him from ps. I cannot push this particular child as hard. But I still try to push his limits in smaller bites bc I want him to overcome this.

My third is a work horse and organized. He's the only one we haven't had tested but he is well behind his brothers in LA and history understanding. I honestly think he may be the best student in the future because of his natural study skills and excellent memory. And just maybe he is just as bright, but being a later bloomer in reading has reduced his general knowledge of writing and history. Then again, he is exceedingly visual and stinks at spelling. A simple IQ test isn't going to reveal all of this. Careful observation is what you need.