Menu

Lumosity

I tried it. It's a pretty cool thing. However, realize that regardless of what they say, they charge your credit card every month indefinitely until you cancel. I thought we were getting a 1 month trial and after we didn't use it for 6 additional months, dh asked "what is this charge that keeps coming up?" May have been my fault but just in case...

Brownie

We've been using it. She is definitely getting better BPI (brain processing index) in all areas according to them. Our dd has been using it about 2 months and I've been told it would take up to 6 months to see change elsewhere. I just consider it one tool and am searching for others. I will say she enjoys it and does it without complaining.

I tried the Lumosity ADHD course for my child, but she did not appear to improve in school. Do NOT pay for any "brain training" games (especially AttenGo, SharperBrain, SharperMemory and Lumosity) as there are many free brain games online. The one game that has some scientific studies showing that it may improve working memory and fluid intelligence is called dual n-back, available for free at BrainWorkshop.sourceforge.net. Other free sites include cognitivefun.net, brainturk.com, Cambridgebrainsciences.co.uk, etc.

She is definitely getting better BPI (brain processing index) in all areas according to them.
Anybody will improve their game scores if they keep playing the game, but Lumosity does not improve intelligence.

I tried the Lumosity ADHD course for my child, but she did not appear to improve in school. Do NOT pay for any "brain training" games (especially AttenGo, SharperBrain, SharperMemory and Lumosity) as there are many free brain games online. The one game that has some scientific studies showing that it may improve working memory and fluid intelligence is called dual n-back, available for free at BrainWorkshop.sourceforge.net. Other free sites include cognitivefun.net, brainturk.com, Cambridgebrainsciences.co.uk, etc.

Anybody will improve their game scores if they keep playing the game, but Lumosity does not improve intelligence.

Did you notice any changes with your ADHD DD? I keep seeing the commercials for this place and I've been wondering if it's any good. We were using Brainware Safari for a while and I don't know that it did any good for my ADHD DD either.

Unfortunately, we have not noticed significant improvements with DD's ADHD/SPD/LD after many different treatments in the past 16 months, including Lumosity and AttenGo. Lumosity is great at marketing but not worth spending money on. The best thing about dual n-back is that if it is ineffective like all the other brain games, at least you didn't waste money.

Did you notice any changes with your ADHD DD? I keep seeing the commercials for this place and I've been wondering if it's any good. We were using Brainware Safari for a while and I don't know that it did any good for my ADHD DD either.

Except we tried n-back last night and my kids were totally bored with it. We've done Lumosity and they found it fun. It can't work if you don't play it and Lumosity isn't too expensive to try at least. I found another similar website that had a 2 week free trial but I don't remember what it was.

Brownie

Yes, scientifically proven programs like n-back and Cogmed are boring, but they work a lot better than Lumosity. What I do is give my DD a reward or privilege after finishing a session of dual n-back.

There are a lot of fun FREE games available online that may not do anything just like Lumosity, but at least you don't have to keep paying every month for them. Were you able to get your money back after not using it for 6 months?

Except we tried n-back last night and my kids were totally bored with it. We've done Lumosity and they found it fun. It can't work if you don't play it and Lumosity isn't too expensive to try at least. I found another similar website that had a 2 week free trial but I don't remember what it was.
Edited by DyslexicParent

I hate companies that sneakily keep withdrawing your money automatically FOREVER without any time limit. There are so many consumer complaints against this slimy practice of automatically charging you forever. AttenGo is another example who will charge you monthly forever and when I cancelled the payment for the next month because it was not worth it to continue paying, they suspended my account immediately even though I was prepaid for the remainder of the month. :mad:

No - they said I agreed to pay until we discontinued. Guess I missed the fine print or something, but they only refunded the current month when I complained.

Brownie