Menu

Help me to advise ds15 on possible ADD remedies

Ds15 has been struggling more than usual with focus. I'm sure some of this is puberty but it has been an issue all along for him too. It's just that now in 10th grade, he's a lot more accountable and it's showing up more as a problem. Anyway, he's been coming to me in frustration about not being able to concentrate on his studies. I told him that some people get some help from coffee. He tried it twice but both times it gave him a headache. So today he tried about 4 oz. of Mountain Dew. He said that it helped him to focus on his geometry. We've always been a household to avoid soda except for Sprite because of caffeine and HCFS. He has a physique which is like mine, which means that he will most likely struggle with his weight. I don't want to cure one problem and give him another. Any suggestions for ADD remedies which won't give him other problems?

Omega-3 fatty acids - found in fish, fish oil/cod liver oil, flax seed, and nuts (almonds, walnuts, and pecans are a good source)

Zinc - in foods or add a daily supplement

Choline - "

B-vitamins - "

Protein - add more protein throughout the day (every 2 hours is good) to keep blood sugar stable and prevent "crashing" that can interfere with concentration

DS9's concentration has improved greatly since we implemented the above.

HTH! :)

Ds15 has been struggling more than usual with focus. I'm sure some of this is puberty but it has been an issue all along for him too. It's just that now in 10th grade, he's a lot more accountable and it's showing up more as a problem. Anyway, he's been coming to me in frustration about not being able to concentrate on his studies. I told him that some people get some help from coffee. He tried it twice but both times it gave him a headache. So today he tried about 4 oz. of Mountain Dew. He said that it helped him to focus on his geometry. We've always been a household to avoid soda except for Sprite because of caffeine and HCFS. He has a physique which is like mine, which means that he will most likely struggle with his weight. I don't want to cure one problem and give him another. Any suggestions for ADD remedies which won't give him other problems?

Omega-3 supplements have helped many people (kids and adults). They key is to only supplement Omega-3, not omega-6 and omega-9 at the same time. You need much more omega-3 than the others. Recommended dosage is not more than 3000mg day for 12 and older. From a fish source is supposed to be more effective. Check the label on the supplement. OmegaBrite is one popular brand. Nature's Sunshine is another. There are many, many more out there as well.

Here is a link that gives many other supplemental options.

ETA: This is not an overnight or immediate "fix" like caffeine or some medications would be. It takes time and consistent application for the effects to be apparent.

Edited by Audrey

1. Clean up diet: no artificial colors or flavors, no HFCS

2. Maintain a regular sleep pattern, don't fluctuate bedtime, don't stay up until 2 am. Adolescents, particularly those with attention issues have trouble with sleep. It becomes a vicious cycle, because lack of sleep causes attention and focus problems. You have isolate the focus problem from the lack of sleep.

3. Get regular, heavy exercise at least 4 days a week.

Once you have these three things going consistently, you will understand how much intervention you need.

I work at an alternative high school. Students have to work individually. When a studen looses focus, I encourage him to stand up and stretch or march in place. One could do this every 30 to 60 minutes, to refresh focus on seat work.

Beyond te basic stretching you might consider Braingym exercises. These are simple moves that require crossing the midline. I have heard many people say they have had success with these exercises. I did not get my oldest to do these (because it was difficult to get oldest to do things in general. There is a private school near me that incorporates Braingym into daily actvites

Are you anti-ADD meds? I know some people are, but I'll share our experience just in case.

We saw such an amazing change after starting my 10yo on meds six months ago, that we decided to treat my 13yodd's mild ADD with medication. It's been about three months, and she is doing better in every area of life--school, socially, dance, at home. She's told me several times when she takes her pill in the morning that her medicine has made things so much easier for her.

We let our 10yo drink coffee. My brother has ADHD, and my parents used to give him No Doz to help him calm down. The ADD brain really does function differently!

It may sound corny, but it's been shown that people who meditate improve their ability to concentrate. By practicing mediation you train your brain to focus. There are tons of websites and books on different types of meditation. You want to start small, like trying to focus on the breath (in and out) for 1 minute, then 2, etc...

Of course, mediation is not a quick fix, but it could help.

Get regular, heavy exercise at least 4 days a week.
+1. Exercise is one of the few things that has been scientifically proven to help with ADHD. See ADHD expert John Ratey's book Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain.

The big bonus for your DS is that he will be healthier, lose weight, be more attractive to girls.... :001_tt1:

I'm taking notes on every thing. I did want to comment specifically on this post, though.

1. Clean up diet: no artificial colors or flavors, no HFCS

2. Maintain a regular sleep pattern, don't fluctuate bedtime, don't stay up until 2 am. Adolescents, particularly those with attention issues have trouble with sleep. It becomes a vicious cycle, because lack of sleep causes attention and focus problems. You have isolate the focus problem from the lack of sleep.

3. Get regular, heavy exercise at least 4 days a week.

Once you have these three things going consistently, you will understand how much intervention you need.

I work at an alternative high school. Students have to work individually. When a studen looses focus, I encourage him to stand up and stretch or march in place. One could do this every 30 to 60 minutes, to refresh focus on seat work.

Beyond te basic stretching you might consider Braingym exercises. These are simple moves that require crossing the midline. I have heard many people say they have had success with these exercises. I did not get my oldest to do these (because it was difficult to get oldest to do things in general. There is a private school near me that incorporates Braingym into daily actvites

We don't eat foods with HCFS. We eat very little with artificial flavors or colors (perhaps some in some snacks) since most meals are cooked from scratch.

He gets 8 1/2 to 9 hours of sleep every night.

He's in taekwando 3 nights a week. On nights that he doesn't have taekwando he will ride his bike or an exercise bike at the gym.

I'm taking notes on every thing. I did want to comment specifically on this post, though.

We don't eat foods with HCFS. We eat very little with artificial flavors or colors (perhaps some in some snacks) since most meals are cooked from scratch.

He gets 8 1/2 to 9 hours of sleep every night.

He's in taekwando 3 nights a week. On nights that he doesn't have taekwando he will ride his bike or an exercise bike at the gym.

I was giving a general statement of what to do to start. You did not list anything about your diet or exercise in the OP so I didn't know anything about your ds's regular behavior. I started these steps when my dc were very young, but the best doctors I dealt with for these issues always confirmed we were doing these things before considering further treatment.

If you are looking for beginning nonpharmaceutical interventions, make sure his diet has protein, stand up and move after extended sitting, try unsweetened green tea (coffee also gives me a headache, tea has about 1/3 the amount of caffiene). Many people have good results from cal/mag supplements and fish oil supplements, but that's more long term. For a more immediate jolt move, stretch and drink tea.