Menu

Looking for your thoughts on this situation.

To each their own. I vax so it's really a non issue for me.

But I will say I'm a little stumped that people are more afraid of possible side affects from vaxing than possible complications from the actual disease/virus. I'm not referring to known allergies or family history of issues with vaxing. To me the risk is similar (I don't know if in fact it is, but it feels that way to me), and if I can prevent my kid from suffering needlessly I'm for it.

This puzzles me to no end as well. I think part of it for some, not all, is the familiarity of the disease. I think I see the same thing in some ADD thread where meds are dismissed but caffeine is recommended. Caffeine is a drug that can have side effects of it's own and many meds are probably as safe as it for most but anyone can buy coffee and we're used to seeing it all the time.

Edited by WishboneDawn

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To each their own. I vax so it's really a non issue for me.

But I will say I'm a little stumped that people are more afraid of possible side affects from vaxing than possible complications from the actual disease/virus. I'm not referring to known allergies or family history of issues with vaxing. To me the risk is similar (I don't know if in fact it is, but it feels that way to me), and if I can prevent my kid from suffering needlessly I'm for it.

Exactly. Which is why I don't fully vax. Sometimes the vax itself makes our children suffer needlessly.

It bothers me that there seems to be a misconception that once you've had chicken pox, you are suddenly "immune" and "protected". This is untrue.

**ETA: This has nothing to do with vax or no vax. The misconception I've witnessed is when people intentionally seek exposure to actual chicken pox, in the belief that it will "protect" them in the future. I'm not sure what they're "protecting" against. People may develop shingles (which can be much more serious and long-lasting than chicken pox) after they've had chicken pox. Shingles is when the chicken pox virus gets "reactivated" in your body. Having chicken pox does not protect you from shingles, but some people believe that it does. The opposite is actually true. Having chicken pox "allows" the potential for shingles later on. We were told by our doctor that if you are never exposed to varicella zoster/chicken pox (either through actual CP or vax), then you cannot get shingles. So why expose on purpose (when you may never get CP on your own) and take the risk of shingles?**

My dad developed shingles recently, and it left him blind in one eye after the virus attacked his optic nerve. Many people he has talked to about it have the impression that if you've had chicken pox then you can't get shingles, but it's actually the opposite - if you had chicken pox as a kid, you CAN get shingles later.

I think you may be misunderstanding what people mean when they talk about CP "immunity". NOBODY that I know thinks they are protecting their kids from shingles by getting wild CP. Neither are you "immune" from shingles when you get the CP vax, but this is called CP immunity - less likely to get full-blown CP again. The immunity you get from wild CP is the same immunity you get from the CP vax, EXCEPT the immunity from wild CP may last longer.

I have no comments on the pox party issue, but I do thank you for thinking of the other guests in your home for you get together.

I have a permanently compromised immune system as I've had my spleen removed. I catch a lot of stuff, many times not really sure where I got it. You wouldn't be able to tell about my immune system, it's not something I talk about with acquaintances IRL. Especially in the fall/winter I try to limit my contact with people. I've just spent a week in bed and week before that feeling poorly because I caught something somewhere.

Again, I have no opinion on how people choose to expose/vaccinate their children, but if you knowingly expose your child you should be willing to voluntarily sequester yourself and them from close-quarter groups until you know if the exposure took.

I find it interesting that so many people who have vaxed kids think this doesn't apply to them. My dd was in ps pre-school at age 4 and all the kids were vaxed. One kid came down with CP and 18 of the 20 vaxed kids including dd all got it. Dd was the last one to come down with it and had the worst case, which wasn't terrible. At least she never has to worry about boosters :).

If your child has been vaxed, they may well catch CP. I think we are going to have a generation of adults that have much more problems from CP because the vaccine provides inadequate immunity.

BTW, ds also had the CP vaccine and he did not get it in spite of thorough exposure to dd.

Yes, I've seen it a number of times in homeschooling circles. No, it's not something I would do.

I agree that I wouldn't join in, but can maybe understand why others do.

I had chicken pox as an adult and it was horrible. I was on sick leave from work over 6 weeks. Had an emergency room visit, was on pain pills all day long and sleeping pills at night. On my FACE ALONE I had 90 some odd pox.

I also had them internally and my body was completely covered. I have many many scars all over from them.

I'd truly not wish them on anybody.

I would be running to play.

Way back when I had two kids, a VIP told me to never get the varicella vax. That it would do nothing but cause an epidemic of shingles.

But getting them around the pox is therefore very hard. I had them at 15 and I'd like the youngers to get it over earlier.

My brother and I had them EVERYWHERE too. As a result of scar tissue from pox in our noses and sinuses we had regular serious nose bleeds. I don't have nosebleeds as much anymore. My brother, who is fifty, still get nosebleeds all the time.

Interesting. I wonder if this could be the cause of my random nose bleeds. I had a serious amount of pox in both nostrils (and other internal regions). It was in approx. 1989, I was in my early 20's.

The CP vaccine is not a lifetime vaccination. It requires a booster every 10 years or so. Getting CP naturally, generally, gives a life long immunity and at the least the second round is usually much milder than the first time. Most adults I know either don't realize they should be getting boostered for some of their childhood vaccinations or just don't do it.

As with each of the vaccines there has to be a careful weighing of risk vs reward and sometimes, the risk of the vaccine outweighs the risk of the disease. In this case the risks are that there are no long term studies showing the side effects of this vaccine and it is highly unlikely that my adult children will remember or be bothered to get the booster which leaves them susceptible to getting the cp as an adult.

I hope to have my children catch cp at some point, but that said, I would NEVER take them out while they have it.

My sister and I both had chicken pox as kids, now my sister has had horrible shingles episodes. Also, I still remember how traumatic chicken pox was when I had it as a kid. Some neighbors had it on their eyeballs, down their throats, in their mouths, they couldn't eat, etc. I would not intentionally expose my children to anything, I think it's just silly. I don't believe that it's always horrible as an adult.

I also have horrible shingles episodes 23 years later. They only pop up once or twice a year when I am extremely stressed.

And like your neighbors I had them in my mouth, throat, vaginally etc.

Chicken Pox parties were quite common when I was growing up. I don't have an issue with it.

I had them as a baby and don't remember them. I do remember the case of shingles I got a few years ago. It has taught me to be less stressed. Whenever I feel very stressed the spot where the shingles were starts to tingle. It is like my spider sense letting me know to relax.

I find it interesting that so many people who have vaxed kids think this doesn't apply to them. My dd was in ps pre-school at age 4 and all the kids were vaxed. One kid came down with CP and 18 of the 20 vaxed kids including dd all got it. Dd was the last one to come down with it and had the worst case, which wasn't terrible. At least she never has to worry about boosters :).

If your child has been vaxed, they may well catch CP. I think we are going to have a generation of adults that have much more problems from CP because the vaccine provides inadequate immunity.

BTW, ds also had the CP vaccine and he did not get it in spite of thorough exposure to dd.

This is what I'm worried about right now. My boys have been vaxed, but they could still get it. And I have had a heaping helping of bad things happen. My oldest broke both his arms last week. Can you imagine being sick with chicken pox while in 2 casts!? And what if they get in his cast where you can't watch them and the sore and they get wicked infected?

I do understand, PP, that the incubation is 7-21 days. However, WebMD has stated it can be as early at 5. Our party is 4 and 1/2 days after the party. Too close for me.

If this happened recently, why didn't the guy just get a prescription for a medication like Zovirax? That's what I did, and my chicken pox was not a big deal at all at age 35. Without the Zovirax, it may have been a very different story (or not -- I have no way of knowing!)

I had them as a young adult in 1989 and was not offered anything other than pain and sleeping pills. I had them so bad that there was not a spot on my entire body not covered. I had pox on top of pox. It was truly horrible. I stayed doped up for weeks because I could not sit or lay without severe pain without the pills.

I had a neighbor who took her kids to her country of origin and all of her three kids ended up getting chicken pox while there. I asked her if they'd been vaccinated, and she emphatically said yes, and not only that, but everyone they knew in her home country had the same thing happen. Maybe the advantage was that the cases were not extremely bad, but, according to her experience, the vaccine was not sufficient for many kids to ward off catching it.

Not long after this happened, I saw that the recommended number of shots had been increased, adding a booster, that maybe will address this, but I am not sure. I certainly hope so.

I do think among non-vaccinating people, chicken pox parties are pretty common because it's much harder to catch it otherwise.

:confused: That is not the reason most people would state for avoiding the vaccine or trying to make sure their kids get a wild case before adolescence. It's not worry about the complications of the vaccine, it's that the vaccine does not confer lifelong immunity, and actually can increase the chance of getting a full-blown case of the pox as an adult when it's more dangerous. I can't be around when they're adults to make sure they get all their boosters on time, or nurse them and make sure they get antivirals, immune support, eat right, and give them oatmeal baths - and they'd probably have a much worse case at that point as well.

Pertussis is the other way around. It's deadly in infants, and just a really nasty long-lasting cough in older kids and adults, but not fatal. I get immunizing the young so they don't catch it then, and then if it wears off (and it does), delaying the onset of that disease, if you can't prevent it altogether, is a good thing. But chicken pox is the other way. Why would I prevent it when it's mild and increase the chance of their getting a really serious case later?

And since it's a live vax, it doesn't prevent shingles, and later in life being around someone with shingles can make you catch the pox if you haven't gotten it already (or your boosters aren't up-to-date), so it's not like smallpox vax where the virus wouldn't circulate anymore once people are vaxed.

Edited by matroyshka

I question whether these people who are deliberately exposing their children to chicken pox are then going to quarantine them until they find out whether it "took." After all, you can be infectious and shedding virus before there are any visible pox.

Somehow I doubt it. For some reason, people who want to go back to the good old days before we had vaccines don't seem to want to take on the strict quarantine control that went along with those days. It seems more like an attitude of "yay, these diseases are benign, so no worries!"

I find this offensive. Although I did not expose my children on purpose, I probably would have and I would not and did not take them anywhere except the doctor and at the doctors I insisted on a private room and to not wait in the waiting room where everyone else was. I have 5 children and take all illness seriously and I know most parents who dont vax take them very seriously too and would not expose anyone without their informed consent. Its not that families that don't vax don't feel that these illnesses are very serious, I personally feel that the risks outweigh the benefits and have very educated and experienced doctors to take care of my children.

Here's another fact- you can not get shingles from someone with chicken pox but you can get chicken pox from someone with shingles.

http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/chickenpox

And I know that a lot of adults with shingles are not staying home during their outbreaks so I would be much more concerned with contracting it that way than by a child with pox.

My kids got chicken pox from a kid at co-op that had just been vaccinated (it is a live vaccine and recipients shed for days or weeks). One barely got ill, the other got a pretty bad case. The good news is that a real case of chicken pox provides lifelong immunity; the vaccine does not.

My sister had chicken pox twice...diagnosed by doctors. In both cases it was mild, but she sure didn't have lifelong immunity.

If you've had CP, you can still catch CP. Viruses mutate and produce different strains so however you get your exposure, there are no ironclad guarantees.

First, let me clarify this is not a vaccination/anti-vax thread. I think that's been covered enough here. Please do not turn it into an argument about vaccinations.

A person in a local homeschool group of which I am a member has a child with chicken pox. She has posted that she is having a playdate tomorrow for anyone who would like to expose their children to the chicken pox virus with the intent that they will get it also.

What do you think of this?

If you don't vaccinate, is this a common idea in non-vaccinating circles? Are there other viruses that people also encourage exposure to besides chicken pox?

I would really appreciate your CIVIL input. Again, this is not another vaccination thread. This is situation specific.

I would like to see if my reaction is appropriate for this situation.

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Chicken Pox parties have been around since at least the 1920s. It's how my Grandmother got them. I had one when my dd had them at the age of six and only one child showed up. She got the Chicken Pox and her mother was relieved. It was also common in the 1920s to have Measles parties. I'm not sure what I would do if one of those was offered to us.

When my dd was about four months old I was at a general API meeting. Someone announced that a child with the Chicken Pox was coming to the meeting. I stated to pack up, because CP has a higher likelihood of killing children under the age of one (well, and over sixteen). Once people found that out (how they could not know that and choose to selectively vaccinate is beyond me) all the babies cleared out.

You can't use Zovirax unless it is within a 72 hour window, if I recall correctly. Otherwise, it is too late and the doctor won't prescribe it.

Fortunately, most people can tell pretty quickly that they have chicken pox, so as long as they go to the doctor when they suspect they have it, they should be well within the 72 hour window. If they don't know they have it until later than that, they probably have a very mild case anyway.

Our drs told us up front that vaccinated kids can still get cp, but should get a milder case than they otherwise would.

Yep! My girls got one dose of the vaccine, and then about a year later got a very mild case of CP.

I'm one of those people who had a horrible case of CP, which was debilitating, for over a month. I was 9 years old and remember it like it was yesterday. I ended up with secondary infections and scars. It was so awful; the ped told my mom it was one of the worst cases he'd ever seen. I really didn't want my girls to go through that!

Fortunately, most people can tell pretty quickly that they have chicken pox, so as long as they go to the doctor when they suspect they have it, they should be well within the 72 hour window. If they don't know they have it until later than that, they probably have a very mild case anyway.

I'm not sure that's true anymore. Many of the younger pediatricians have never seen a case of wild CP and it goes misdiagnosed. It did for my kids & I know others. When we took DS to the ped (not ours, another in the practice) with obvious (to me) CP we were told to take him to a dermatologist. The very next day we saw my dad (retired ped) & he dx it with CP. Sent a photo to my ped & he confirmed it.

Edited by momoflaw

I'm not sure that's true anymore. Many of the younger pediatricians have never seen a case of wild CP and it goes misdiagnosed. It did for my kids & I know others. When we took DS to the ped (not ours, another in the practice) with obvious (to me) CP we were told to take him to a dermatologist. The very next day we saw my dad (retired per) & he dx it with CP. Sent a photo to my ped & he confirmed it.

That's very interesting -- I didn't know that!

Wow. :001_huh: That's pretty distressing. I would think that most parents would know what it was when they saw it, so doctors should have no problem at all!

I don't think most parents have ever seen live cp. I don't remember seeing it before my kids got it - I had it when I was little but don't remember that. I certainly didn't recognize it on DS at first. His first blisters were HUGE - like half dime-sized. It wasn't until day 3 or so when the original blisters started to scab & new, smaller ones started. Before that I thought some kind of poison ivy/oak. Funny, though, I called my dad when I first saw the huge blisters and he immediately said cp. I didn't believe him.

Eta: just my own personal theory - I think that the percentage of wild cp that don't present typically is going up since the vax, adding to the confusion of dx.

Edited by momoflaw

I don't think most parents have ever seen live cp. I don't remember seeing it before my kids got it - I had it when I was little but don't remember that. I certainly didn't recognize it on DS at first. His first blisters were HUGE - like half dime-sized. It wasn't until day 3 or so when the original blisters started to scab & new, smaller ones started. Before that I thought some kind of poison ivy/oak. Funny, though, I called my dad when I first saw the huge blisters and he immediately said cp. I didn't believe him.

Eta: just my own personal theory - I think that the percentage of wild cp that don't present typically is going up since the vax, adding to the confusion of dx.

I know so little about this that I don't even have my own personal theory about it! :tongue_smilie:

I actually found out that I had cp when I walked into my dh's office and started to tell him that I was feeling tired and achy, and his assistant saw me and said, "You know you have chicken pox, right?" I had no clue. I hadn't looked at myself in the mirror all day, so I never saw the spots! (I felt like such an idiot!!!)

Needless to say, I went right to the doctor and got the Zovirax. (He knew right away that it was cp, too!)

We had a chicken pox exposure early this summer--a little neighbor girl came over to play and the next day, her mom called me and said she'd been diagnosed with chicken pox. Neighbor girl was vaxed, but still got it. My kids aren't vaxed for that particular illness, but they didn't get it.

I have a family practice PA friend who told me she's seen very few cases of cp in her years of practice but this year there were a few, which surprised her.

We do not vax. Especially not for CP. I had it as a kid (and remember it all!), and so did my brothers. Everyone I know did. Then the vax came out and they gave me one...even with documented cp. :001_huh: I would love to go to a CP party, but never live close to one. OP, these are common, and frankly it's not your business.

I did not make the decision not to vax lightly. Only after my best friend's baby died of complications and much research. I used to work in medicine, was Pre-med, and my dh worked in Pharmaceutical research (now teaches chemistry), so lets not start sweeping pictures of us "crazy non-vaxers". It's insulting.

Edited by mommymilkies

We do not vax. Especially not for CP. I had it as a kid (and remember it all!), and so did my brothers. Everyone I know did. Then the vax came out and they gave me one...even with documented cp. :001_huh: I would love to go to a CP party, but never live close to one. OP, these are common, and frankly it's not your business.

How is it not her business when the parent wants to bring her children to a party at the OP's house a few days after attending a CP party?

How is it not her business when the parent wants to bring her children to a party at the OP's house a few days after attending a CP party?

I read the OP as it being at the playmate's house. Off to Reread.

ETA:

A person in a local homeschool group of which I am a member has a child with chicken pox. She has posted that she is having a playdate tomorrow for anyone who would like to expose their children to the chicken pox virus with the intent that they will get it also.

So, yes, it's not her business. People who go to pox parties and know its for exposure KNOW the risks.

I read the OP as it being at the playmate's house. Off to Reread.

ETA:

So, yes, it's not her business. People who go to pox parties and know its for exposure KNOW the risks.

Hmm, she edited the post that read they were coming to her house for her dh's birthday party. Others quoted it before she changed it though so it's still in the thread.

ETA: A quick scan shows post #96 still with the original quote.

ETA:

She is concerned because one of the families that will be attending the cp party is scheduled to attend a party a few days later at HER house with 20 other people.

She doesn't want her family and her other guests to be exposed to cp, so she needs to tell the other mom that she can't come to her party if her kids attend the cp party.

Edited by Catwoman

Hmm, she edited the post that read they were coming to her house for her dh's birthday party. Others quoted it before she changed it though so it's still in the thread.

ETA: A quick scan shows post #96 still with the original quote.

I only read the OP. I've been out of town all day and have not read all 87 pages or whatnot. Maybe she can update the OP to indicate this, as it is an entirely different question than the one originally being asked. Right?

I only read the OP. I've been out of town all day and have not read all 87 pages or whatnot. Maybe she can update the OP to indicate this, as it is an entirely different question than the one originally being asked. Right?

I have been following the thread all along, so I hadn't even realized that she didn't mention the party in the OP until you mentioned it. (And I believe we're up to 768 pages now... :D)

I edited it after worrying that my friend would read this thread and thinking that she might not read it all. I really don't want to hurt her feelings by giving off the idea that I was "talking behind her back". This was not my intention and I originally wasn't going to even bring it up but I felt it was important as the thread continued. And frankly, I'd rather it just died out now.

Mommymilkies, it completely does affect me because this an active homeschool group and I don't want my children exposed. If there is an assumption, as is often the case in groups like this, that everyone thinks the same way they do. In the last 3 months I have lost my dad, gotten a $300 ticket, shelled out $2000 to fix my only vehicle AND my son broke both of his arms last week. Even the very thought of my children coming down with chicken pox because someone in the group came to a group function (NOT my friend coming to my party, I'm talking about other group functions) knowing that their child might be contagious makes me want to throw up and yes, it is COMPLETELY MY BUSINESS.

My friend did not attend the party today. I thanked her for skipping the pox party so she could attend our party this weekend. I really need my friends right now. And I really need a day where I'm not thinking of all the troubles I'm having and the person who can't come. I will be skipping most if not all of the group functions for homeschoolers for the next 6 weeks or so.

Edited by Kalah

I actually still believe it is the OP's business since they belong to the same homeschool group and the parent invited everyone that belongs. Hopefully all that expose their kids stay home until they know if their children have it or not.

I edited it after worrying that my friend would read this thread and thinking that she might not read it all. I really don't want to hurt her feelings by giving off the idea that I was "talking behind her back". This was not my intention and I originally wasn't going to even bring it up but I felt it was important as the thread continued. And frankly, I'd rather it just died out now.

Mommymilkies, it completely does affect me because this an active homeschool group and I don't want my children exposed. If, IF, there is an assumption, as is often the case in groups like this, that everyone thinks the same way they do. In the last 3 months I have lost my dad, gotten a $300 ticket, shelled out $2000 to fix my only vehicle AND my son broke both of his arms last week. Even the very thought of my children coming down with chicken pox because someone in the group came to a group function (NOT my friend coming to my party, I'm talking about other group functions) knowing that their child might be contagious makes me want to throw up and yes, it is COMPLETELY MY BUSINESS.

My friend did not attend the party today. I thanked her for skipping the pox party so she could attend our party this weekend. I really need my friends right now. And I really need a day where I'm thinking of all the troubles I'm having and the person who can't come.

But this is different than the OP. I understand why you edited, and your friend was gracious to pass. Since the details were different, and the question asked was missing vital info, it is wrong for many of us to have been attacked for our thoughts. Kwim?

Are your children vaxed for cp? If not, and it was the stressors, then I would not have expected her to cancel something that many of us consider that important to her kids' health, but it was very nice that she did. She sounds like a great friend. :)

But this is different than the OP. I understand why you edited, and your friend was gracious to pass. Since the details were different, and the question asked was missing vital info, it is wrong for many of us to have been attacked for our thoughts. Kwim?

Are your children vaxed for cp? If not, and it was the stressors, then I would not have expected her to cancel something that many of us consider that important to her kids' health, but it was very nice that she did. She sounds like a great friend. :)

She had other, more compelling, reasons for passing today. Yes, my children are vaxed. This doesn't mean they still won't get it. THey may not get as severe a case.

I don't see that anyone was attacked in this thread. I specifically stated that this wasn't a vax/anti-vax thread. I thought it was staying rather civil, apart from the "I take offense to what you said" that always happens in threads like these. We don't even have one deleted comment. I think that's a record!:tongue_smilie:

She had other, more compelling, reasons for passing today. Yes, my children are vaxed. This doesn't mean they still won't get it. THey may not get as severe a case.

I don't see that anyone was attacked in this thread. I specifically stated that this wasn't a vax/anti-vax thread. I thought it was staying rather civil, apart from the "I take offense to what you said" that always happens in threads like these. We don't even have one deleted comment. I think that's a record!:tongue_smilie:

If you look back, there are slurs against non-vaxers. That's not your fault, you did specify.

something that many of us consider that important to her kids' health, but it was very nice that she did. She sounds like a great friend. :)

Do you mean that many of us consider a pox party to be THAT important to our children's health? :confused: :001_huh: And that her friend should be congratulated for skipping the pox party? Oookay.

I actually still believe it is the OP's business since they belong to the same homeschool group and the parent invited everyone that belongs. Hopefully all that expose their kids stay home until they know if their children have it or not.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I'm glad this particular mom chose not to attend the cp party, so there will be no issue with the OP's party, but if I were her, I would want to know specifically whose kids had attended, so I would be able to avoid them for a while!

I'm not sure that's true anymore. Many of the younger pediatricians have never seen a case of wild CP and it goes misdiagnosed. It did for my kids & I know others. When we took DS to the ped (not ours, another in the practice) with obvious (to me) CP we were told to take him to a dermatologist. The very next day we saw my dad (retired ped) & he dx it with CP. Sent a photo to my ped & he confirmed it.

I took my son to the doctor when his fever broke out. He was "diagnosed" with sinus infection and given an antibiotic. He had about 6 spots at tat time. I asked about tem and was told they were a molescum (sp?). The next day he had more spots, so I called our doctor. They said to bring him in to confirm. Our doctor said, "yes, classic case of cp." She brought an intern in to see them, as he had never seen cp before.

I had had them as child, so when I called our doctor, I told them, I was pretty sure it was cp. And I was correct.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I'm glad this particular mom chose not to attend the cp party, so there will be no issue with the OP's party, but if I were her, I would want to know specifically whose kids had attended, so I would be able to avoid them for a while!

:iagree: Egg-zactly. Better yet, I'll just avoid the whole lot of them. We're not super active in groups because I work during the week and have sports on the weekends. But, still.... I just can't handle one more thing right now. Not one more, I tell ya! :tongue_smilie: