Menu

renting question

My husband is being relocated to Minnesota from Canada and we need to find short term housing. My question concerns occupancy numbers. How many are allowed per bedroom and are exceptions made. Is it law that there can't be more than 2 per bedroom? Do they make an exception if one of the children is an infant and sleeps with the parents?

My husband is being relocated to Minnesota from Canada and we need to find short term housing. My question concerns occupancy numbers. How many are allowed per bedroom and are exceptions made. Is it law that there can't be more than 2 per bedroom? Do they make an exception if one of the children is an infant and sleeps with the parents?

Most occupancy laws are set by local zoning boards and not by the state per se. You'll probably need to research this by specific locale. As a general rule, there are no objections to infants rooming in with parents. That's just normal when there a babes in the house and especially so when night feedings are still the norm. I don't know of any state or local government that actually has an ordinance on this. There are guidelines for social workers to give foster parents who are fostering infants...in our area they generally want to see them out of the parents' bedroom by age two unless the child has a significant medical problem in which case the social workers are happy to see the child remain in the foster parents' room until the problem is resolved.

Faith

There is no specific law (unless it is local, and that is doubtful), but it is true that many landlords will follow these HUD regulations anyway.

I'd have no problems renting to someone with many children, so long as they met all my other criteria. The best mother I think I ever saw had four boys and they all slept in the same room because they liked each other and were close. There were unused bedrooms in that house.

She really impressed me and so did those boys.

When we rented an apartment in apartment complex, the managers followed the two plus one policy. It has to do with fire safety regulations in apartment complex.

"The standard occupancy limit that California courts typically allow when these cases are brought before the court is two people per bedroom plus one person"

So they allow 3 persons for 1 bedroom apartment, 5 persons for 2 bedroom apartment and 7 persons for 3 bedroom apartment.

Some managers get round that policy by not counting any kids under 18 as a headcount.

I've never heard any laws about that here, and even if there are, I doubt they would be enforced unless you had an insane number in one room. I had to spend some time in a foster home here in Minnesota growing up, and there were four of us packed into a basement bedroom the size of a walk-in closet, so it's got to be at least four per room.

we just need a furnished rental for a month or two, hopefully, until we buy a house. i'm hoping that we won't run into any problems.

If you are going to apply for a home loan, the banks here does not take Canada's credit score. My Canadian neighbours has to build their US credit history from nothing when they moved here.

When we bought our home here with no credit history, we had to bring proof of credit worthiness from back home. We gave the bank copies of our home loan back home that we were almost done paying.

Does your husband's company have a relocation department that will help find housing? Every time we have moved for work, my husband's company paid for the movers and for temporary housing and for helping find something to rent. I would ask your husband to ask his company if they have such help.

It's a very small company. Only 4 of them. Anyways the company is paying for movers and moving related expenses. Not sure if they cover temp. housing. He didn't think so.

As to getting a mortgage, we are working with a mortgage broker who has experience helping Canadians obtain one.

It's a very small company. Only 4 of them. Anyways the company is paying for movers and moving related expenses. Not sure if they cover temp. housing. He didn't think so.

As to getting a mortgage, we are working with a mortgage broker who has experience helping Canadians obtain one.

Ask the company to give you some referrals for real estate agents who can help you find an apartment or house to rent. Contact those agents directly.

Depends on the state - you'll have to check Minnesota particularly. We ran into a major snafu in Oregon. If you're working with property agents, they will be able to tell you that. If you work with private renters, they are flexible. If you work with anyone, they still can choose not to rent to you (though they can't STATE it's because of the number of children) but when filling out applications you do have to list all the kiddos.

(In Oregon children under two count as half of a person and are allowed to share a "sleeping space" with parents.)