Menu

Ok...I don't understand how those of you with several kids homeschool. Help me out.

My daughter is only 3 so we're not schooling yet, but from what I'm reading on this forum/elsewhere, many people say that they spend 3-4 hrs a day PER kid to educate him/her. Then logistically, how do you homeschool 3+ kids? If 3 kids x 3 hours each = 9 hours, how does this work?

Curious,

B

There's a lot of overlap in there. I spend about an hour per child directly and the rest of the time we all work together.

Our day is from 8:30-12:30 and then another hour or so after lunch. it isn't as though I talk that whole time either. Homeschooling is much more like tutoring than a classroom teacher. I assign independent reading/work and piano practices for the other children during the time I'm working with one child.

HTH

You teach the dc together as much as possible. You utilize naps. You teach the children to be self-entertaining while you work individually with others.

Remember that in the history of the world, multi-grade, one-room schools were the norm. Those teachers managed to do it; we hsers can learn to do it, too.:)

Overlap and independent work. It is definitely easier when there are multiple kids in the same grade level! It is also easier when several are at lower grade levels and can take long breaks while you work with older ones, IMO.

I teach 4 kids, grades 1, 2, and 3 (2 are in 3rd grade). We spend approximately 5 hours total per day. The 1st grader only spends about 2.5 hours, much of it in "joint" subjects such as leveled science and Spanish. The 3rd graders are going the entire time, moving between joint, individual, and independent.

It is easier than it sounds, once you have a good groove going. :001_smile:

My kids are still young, so we don't spend nearly that much time on school each day, at least formal, sit down work. But we do some things together, and then I try to get about an hour and a half with my DS9 and another 45 minutes or so with DD6. Their math is done separately with help from me, as well as some LA. We do history, science, Latin, and some read alouds together.

As children get older, they are able to work very independently on their schoolwork, so you will spend more time actually planning the lessons than teaching in many subjects.

Enjoy the time while your child is young, just lots of fun and reading. And work on some self-education...you'll be glad you did. :001_smile:

That little rule of thumb is so not true here. I am lucky that the girls are just 2 years apart, so they can easily combine for things like science and geography/history. Then there are several hours spent in the morning with skill subjects, but both girls work at the same time. They each have dependent and independent work, and I alternate so they're both working on something all the time.

Today, it took us just 4 hours for everything, including a lunch break. Usually things take longer, but both girls had quizzes in math and reading, subjects that take the longest on ordinary days.

Rebecca does still have Latin to do, but that will take her 30-45 minutes tops today.

My kids are 5, 6, 7, and 9. For several subjects (science, history, some of our Jewish studies) it's everyone all together, participating to whatever extent they're able. They pair up for things - 9 reads to 5; 6 & 7 do language arts together; 9 & 7 do spelling together; one practices piano while another does a computer assignment while another goes to play while another studies with me; one studies with me, three play a game. For math I start 9 for 15 minutes, then send her off, then 7 gets started w/me and goes off, then 6, then 5. In 45-60 minutes, we've all finished our math. It's a little dizzying at first, but once we've sorted out our routine, everything goes pretty smoothly. We spend 10:00-4:30 (plus extra time outside that for readalouds, piano, etc.), but we also have a dual curriculum that is 50% secular studies, 50% Jewish studies. We could be done a LOT earlier if we only did secular studies! :)

My children are 6 and 4 (almost 5) and it takes about 4hrs to school both of them. Thats with no breaks. I use a workbox system and i dont teach anything together. I teach the same subject at the same time but not the same lesson. For example: C and L will work on Bible first but today L worked on Adam & Eve while C worked on Joash.

It helps when you have something for the little ones to do to keep busy while you instruct the older or even have as much independent work as possible.

Honestly - I just got totally lucky. :lol:

My kids are close in age and the older 2 (15 months apart) are basically on the same level (because the 5yo is advanced) except for math - so I teach them everything together. We even do reading together - I find a book suitable for all then they take turns reading a page each.

When my little guy is old enough to school it will be like having only 2 students :D - except both the older 2 will already have the basics down so I can spend time on that with just the 1 kid. Also the 3yo is getting to the age he can join in with the other two and he is not so much younger that he can't keep up or that the older ones don't enjoy joining in on his preschool activities as well.

I didn't have to teach my 5yo to read - he taught himself - so that was a big time saver there - I just added him onto DD's reading schedule as they are both reading at the same grade level :D

As your kids get older you will figure it out - some will need extra help, some will be great at working independently and some will teach themselves to read or have an older bossy sister that will teach them for you :lol:

I am schooling 4 ranging in age from 5-14. The way it works in my house is all 4 start at the table together and like a 1 room school house I teach my way down the grades. So for example, all 4 start off together, the younger 2 may be colouring a page while I teach the math lesson to my oldest 2 and once I set my older 2 to do their practice pages, I teach my 9 year old and assign his practice pages and teach my 5 year old. And then we just move to the next thing as each finishes. Generally speaking, after 1.5-2 hours my 5 year old is done everything and sent on her way to play, the other 3 are still working. 30-45 minutes later my 9 year old is off and running, that just leaves my teens. They work until done or until we leave for extracurrics which ever happens first. So yes each kid get 2-7 hours of schooling(depending on age, work load, effort), but it is done simultaneously so really at max I am only teaching for about 5-7 hours, about the same as they would be at school if in ps.

I have a 5th grader, 4th grader, 2nd grader and a 5 yro.

The 5th grader and 4th grader are combined in everything, but math. The 2nd grader and 5 yro have their own curriculum, but they'll do science, some projects together, etc. They're also working on More Mudpies and Magnets (?) together.

I also use the "Kitchen Island Schoolwork Organization Method". :D Every morning, I set out the work for each kid on our kitchen island. This helps everyone *see* what needs to be done for that day. They can also see when we're almost finished with everything. My kids will walk by and grab one of their books (my older kids do this, not the little ones) and work on their own. Also, if I'm cooking and something needs to sit in the oven for a while, I can grab flashcards and go over math facts with the 7 yro, etc.

I also try to be organized. Every weekend, I plan out the week in a planner. So, we know exactly what everyone is doing in each subject, which outside classes/sports the kids have that week and what materials (like last week we needed art pencils) we might need to pick up from the store so we are ready for the week.