Menu

How long would it take a kid to read _Alice's Adventures in Wonderland_?

The audiobook is 2 hours 41 minutes. My oldest two read most fiction books faster than a typical audio book reader, but my dh reads slower. I think the audiobook length is generally a good tool to use to as a guide for average reading speed for fiction. I know most people read silently faster than they do aloud so this allows for distractions and such.

Edited by Karen in CO

... and a random thing I just found while searching for the answer online, that I thought others might find cool also:

http://publishingperspectives.com/2012/03/staples-asks-do-you-read-faster-than-the-national-average/

Cool, I got 492 and all 3 right.

As far as Alice? It would take my son several days. He reads about 30 minutes per sitting. He is a slow reader though.

... and a random thing I just found while searching for the answer online, that I thought others might find cool also:

http://publishingperspectives.com/2012/03/staples-asks-do-you-read-faster-than-the-national-average/

That is neat! I read slower than my education would expect. My son read faster than the average 3rd grader. It said he would read Alice in Wonderland in 1 hr. 41 minutes. Prior to doing that I would have estimated it would take him about 2 hours. He's my fast reader though! I had his twin do the test and he scored right at 3rd grade reading for speed and it said it would take him 2 hours and 56 minutes. He would never truly finish the book that fast though. His tolerance for reading long periods isn't very good.

Edited by sbgrace

My DD8 just read Alice last night in about an hour. She is PG though and reads at a ferocious rate. With an eidetic memory, this morning my husband was quizzing her at the table for fun.. what's the forth word on the 53rd page, etc. It is truly amazing to see her flip through the pages in her mind to come up with the correct answer.

Totally not a "normal learner", but what fun it is trying to keep up with her!

My estimate wasn't even close. My 11 year old and I just did the reading speed test - he would apparently read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in about 1 hour 14 minutes. The times given for the books he's read seem about accurate. I scored 461.

Edited by Tazzie

The speed test was interesting. I'm not a fast reader, I knew that. I go for details. My son, super fast, could have blown through Alice in Wonderland in a couple of hours, easy.

My favorite part of the test was when it told me that I could read the Bible in 48 hours! Ha! I've never been able to read it cover to cover in 51 YEARS!!!!

The audiobook is 2 hours 41 minutes. My oldest two read most fiction books faster than a typical audio book reader, but my dh reads slower. I think the audiobook length is generally a good tool to use to as a guide for average reading speed for fiction. I know most people read silently faster than they do aloud so this allows for distractions and such.

Thanks for the link. It was interesting to test myself.

I admit since almost all the reading I do is out loud, I just look at the length of an audio book and go by that to figure out how long it will take me to read. I never thought about whether or not Eldest reads faster or slower than that.

That is super cool! Even with a screaming child in the next room I got 475 wpm. :tongue_smilie: That is a fun tool, I'll have to have my son try it.

He is 9, and it would take him several hours to finish Alice, and that would be over several days. He can read pretty fast, but doesn't read longer than 30-45 minutes at a time, usually.

Edited by blakereese

Oh. My. Word.

I read the War and Peace selection (was that even the correct book, LOL!!) and was a little faster than average (partly because I can't just get right into a book...). I had my 10 ds read the Alice in Wonderland selection. He scored 693 words per minute with all 3 questions correct!!! I knew he was a fast reader, but golly!!

It claims I read 922 words a minute. :001_huh: I got all three questions correct.

Mine was similar with all questions correct also. I've done reading speed tests before, and this one was not where I usually score. I am fast, but not that fast. :tongue_smilie: I hate to burst bubbles, but this thing just is not accurate.

So... it seems that my estimate of around 2-4 hours would be reasonable? Obviously there will be outliers on both ends of that, but a "normal" (gosh I dislike that word LOL) late elementary student can reasonably read it in that amount of time, though not necessarily all at once.

Agreed? :)

I think even 6 hours would be perfectly reasonable -- and a child who reads more slowly may also need more breaks than a speed reader.

One thing to do is look up the unabridged audiobook running time. That will tell you about how long it takes to read the story aloud. Most fluent readers do read faster than that, but for kids who "hear" all of the words aloud in their heads, it may not be a whole lot faster.

So... it seems that my estimate of around 2-4 hours would be reasonable? Obviously there will be outliers on both ends of that, but a "normal" (gosh I dislike that word LOL) late elementary student can reasonably read it in that amount of time, though not necessarily all at once.

Agreed? :)

I agree, that sounds reasonable.

Dd9 read it when she was 8. It was a lit book for school, so she read it over a week or two for a total of 5 or less hours. I didn't time her, but she may have read up to half an hour per day and up to two weeks. It may have been as little as one week. My current 8yo old would take hours and hours.